Galls Traffic Buster/Code 3 SD

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Got this beauty for free today. Needs some TLC but is in relatively good shape.

Gotta find more information on them. The search function didn't want to recognize my keywords for them. For free, I'm not complaining.

Attachments

• 20210111_141611.jpg
    20210111_141611.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210111_141616.jpg
    20210111_141616.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 39

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have one of these. I believe it has a pair of independent SD-style independent rotators under each lens with diamond mirrors between each pair.

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I have one of these. I believe it has a pair of independent SD-style independent rotators under each lens with diamond mirrors between each pair.

Mine has 1 parabolic reflector on each side with a flat mirror and V mirror on each side as well.

No speaker in the center either. Not sure what model would've been in it.

I've been told this model with the shorter speaker section was harder to find than the others.

Attachments

• 20210111_152633.jpg
    20210111_152633.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 20

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I was mistaken! Mine has flat mirrors between each pair of rotators, not diamond mirrors. The speaker section on mine is 11 inches and contains a Federal Signal TS100.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
That looks to be a short bar, with the smaller speaker section.
I had one of these NOS it was labeled Force 4. @gtpts27 is the current owner now as far as I am aware.

From my personal experience the independent rotator SD bars are pretty uncommon. At least in comparison to the sealed beam variants.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That looks to be a short bar, with the smaller speaker section.
I had one of these NOS it was labeled Force 4. @gtpts27 is the current owner now as far as I am aware.

From my personal experience the independent rotator SD bars are pretty uncommon. At least in comparison to the sealed beam variants.

That's along the lines of what I've been told. It's extremely dirty from being stored in a shed or barn but it works. Lol.

Need to grease the gears and make them a little more quiet too.

I'm assuming Simple Green is fine to clean the frame and innards with?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yes Simple Green is my default goto when cleaning these bars.

The frames are aluminum, so some aluminum cleaner/polish is a good follow up if needed.
neverdull on the speaker grille.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Yes Simple Green is my default goto when cleaning these bars.

The frames are aluminum, so some aluminum cleaner/polish is a good follow up if needed.
neverdull on the speaker grille.

Ok thanks.

Do you know if the clips from an MX bulb will work on this bar? The one that holds the H1 bulb and grounds it? I'm missing one.

Also, what would be the best to replace the rubber foam pieces along the frame to make it weather tight?

Attachments

• 20210112_123040.jpg
    20210112_123040.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Unfortunately all the rotators I have of this style are bayonet style and not H1. I would ask around probably someone has some.

As for foam, Code 3 did not use anything special, just standard foam strips if I remember correctly. Should be able to get these at most auto stores or home improvement stores as weather stripping.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Unfortunately all the rotators I have of this style are bayonet style and not H1. I would ask around probably someone has some.

As for foam, Code 3 did not use anything special, just standard foam strips if I remember correctly. Should be able to get these at most auto stores or home improvement stores as weather stripping.
I will possibly remove them and leave them off since it'll be a display bar only. Probably add them back at a later date.

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
Nice SD bar you scored. Of all the code 3 bars I own, this is the only SD thing I have an original brochure for them I picked up at a truck equipment place 30 odd years ago I do have one SD sealed bean beacon though.

Attachments

• 20210112_193737.jpg
    20210112_193737.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210112_193912.jpg
    20210112_193912.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Nice SD bar you scored. Of all the code 3 bars I own, this is the only SD thing I have an original brochure for them I picked up at a truck equipment place 30 odd years ago I do have one SD sealed bean beacon though.
Thanks. I've toyed with the idea of keeping it like it is or adding another set of rotators.

I'll probably keep it like it is though.

I wet sanded one of the domes today and got it looking good. I'll do the other one and clean the frame later.

Reactions: PaulW

PaulW

Apr 1, 2014
Rhode Island
I look forward to pics of it all done. Code 3 stuff is "somewhat" harder to come by up in RI except for Fire Dept. XL's and some tow truck ones since majority of equipment used around here through the years were Federal Signal and Whelen products

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I look forward to pics of it all done. Code 3 stuff is "somewhat" harder to come by up in RI except for Fire Dept. XL's and some tow truck ones since majority of equipment used around here through the years were Federal Signal and Whelen products
Here is a picture of it with one dome finished.

Attachments

• 20210112_152804.jpg
    20210112_152804.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 27

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Gall's Traffic Buster (this particular version) was a re-branded PSE Force 4 SD, but where PSE used rotator assemblies at both the outboard and inboard positions and a diamond mirror or fixed/oscillating light between the two rotator assemblies, Gall's were cheaper with only outboard rotators, a flat mirror in the middle area and a V-mirror in the inboard position. This mirror arrangement made the bar effective from the front, but the flat mirror blocked most of the light directed at the rear facing portion of the V-mirror.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
The Gall's Traffic Buster (this particular version) was a re-branded PSE Force 4 SD, but where PSE used rotator assemblies at both the outboard and inboard positions and a diamond mirror or fixed/oscillating light between the two rotator assemblies, Gall's were cheaper with only outboard rotators, a flat mirror in the middle area and a V-mirror in the inboard position. This mirror arrangement made the bar effective from the front, but the flat mirror blocked most of the light directed at the rear facing portion of the V-mirror.

I toyed with the idea of adding to this bar but I think I'll keep it original.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana

image_00007-jpg.224094

Source: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/galls-catalog-1989.90887/ posted by @LRGJr72

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
One of our members had one in all green. Totally blew everyone away at the time. Resulted in the Chief replacing most beacons on the trucks at the time with Code 3 lightbars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.