GE Communications 4EA12B10 Siren

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I'm 50/50 with this.. Typically if there is rust I attack the rust, as it will eventually keep getting worse and worse. But I understand the desire to leave it be.. your call ultimately.

Reactions: tsquale

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
That is certainly a concern, Rob. Another member may have the paint code for me...so I may end up getting it cleaned up after all!

Many rat rodders cherish a good "patina" and will clearcoat the vehicle with (usually) semi gloss or flat to stop oxidation--your choice--very simple; very easy. Then if you decide to restore or get tired of looking at the patina, you can restore it to original. Either way, it's still very cool!

Re matching color...if there is a good spot of color (inside the cover?), take it to a good auto paint supplier and they can match it up for you. Keep us posted!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Never thought about taking it to a paint supplier for a match! Good thinking!

If you can get three spots where the paint is intact, and if you can find a real parts store with a ChromaVision camera and someone who knows how to use it, then you just might be in business.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Thank you for that riveting, thoughtful response........:rolleyes:
The word 'patina' sounds too elegant.

A couple years ago I bought a new guitar with a used case and the store clerk told me the case was like new but the metal latches had a 'patina' on them. To me the latches looked tarnished with age and use.

By the way, that siren sounds good. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.