GE Powercall Siren IT WORKS! Video

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Updated: 6/3/10 It works! yay... :lol: FOR SALE!........ Video Below :!:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/th_GEPowercall.jpg[/URL]

UPDATED: 5/30/10 I need help with it...

I tried to test this thing yesterday and ran into some problems.. I hooked the red wire and brown wire up to my speaker as all other sirens and hooked (coming from the plug) the black wire to the ground and when i would touch the red wire to the positive battery post it would spark heavily at the battery post and my hot and ground cables would get hot and a noise would start popping through my speaker.. Whats going on?

Well I think i am about to sell my GE PowerCall Siren I have... A few questions so i can test it before listing it... What do I need to hook up and where? Im not dumb by no means with sirens but i want to be certain and not mess this baby up because its in really nice shape. It has a black and a red coming out of a plug on the rear (taking it thats hot and ground), also has a red and brown coming out of the rear of the box beside the plug (taking it thats going to be the speaker), beside it there is a little white turn knob..?? what is that for? There is a spot on the bottom of the siren looks like a mic plug but i dont have the mic. Really i am just wanting to know a little more about this siren before i sell it or if i decide to keep it. Is there not a fuse anywhere? and if i dont hook this up to a speaker will i still beable to hear the noise coming from the box like the sirens now days? Sorry for so much..... here are just 2 quick shots i took.

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0637-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0643-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0641-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0642-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0645-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://gi151.photobucket.com/groups/s160/NXOG2YHVX8/DSCN0646-1.jpg

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
yeah, i see that. lol

try it again, may have to resize them.

i am going to guess the know is the mic gain. 2 wires on the plug are hot/ground and the 2 from the black grommet are the speaker.

know what you might want to sell it for???

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Well since you can't see it it has manual, PA, warble, wail, steady. I don't know what I want for it really, probably will run it a couple days on here and take the highest bidder through PM's.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Sounds like a short. Stop attempting to wire it up that way. Yes, you may/could get sparking when you initially hook up the power (or if your sorta just "brushing it" against the battery post) BUT- the wires heating up is a really bad sign.

Like I said before. Just send it to me, I will take care of it. ;) Yes, you may miss it, but oh well. LOL!

Or, take off the cover, and start tracing wires, look for dust, debris bridging on the circuit boards, blown fuses, uh.. what else? corrosion on the circuit board, "aftermarket" wiring accidentally hooked up inside, etc.. Overall this will be a hard one, and more so if it started making weird noises when you KEPT the silly power ON when the wires were getting hot!.. ugh.

Also not the issue at hand, but when your using your battery post as a connection point, make sure you got a good clean connection- so clean off your battery post. Also make sure you got a... uh.. "firm" or strong connection- so if your simply doing a "temp wire" on the battery, bare about 4 inches of wire, and wrap/pull taught the wire on the battery post. (I've had basically the exact same issue you speak of, MINUS the wires getting hot. A bad power connection can make the speaker "pop" or make clicking sounds if it does not have a good enough power connection.)

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Unlisted, I had the power on the unit OFF when this happened. I only tried it twice, I stil don't think it is anything majorly wrong with it. I could give it to some one electrically advantaged BUT I might just sell the thing.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If the wires got hot to the touch right when you hooked it to power, and the speaker was making weird noises, its a pretty bad sign..

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
unlisted said:
If the wires got hot to the touch right when you hooked it to power, and the speaker was making weird noises, its a pretty bad sign..

haha a bad sign of what!? just buy this damn thing so i wont have to worry with it anymore :lol:

MHPD2215

May 23, 2010
Minnesota
How much do you want for the siren that you may have fried?

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
i was looking at the siren yesterday and kindoff noticed that but gosh i dont want to screw this siren up! lol does noone on here know exactly which one is which?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Open her up, you can easily tell looking at the circuit board which is for power, and which is not. If you cannot figure it out, take some clear images of where the wires hook into the circuit board, and post them. We can figure it out :D

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
unlisted said:
Open her up, you can easily tell looking at the circuit board which is for power, and which is not. If you cannot figure it out, take some clear images of where the wires hook into the circuit board, and post them. We can figure it out :D

i will do that... try to avoid screwing it up haha.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Do want!!! but got no $$

WTF is with the "steady" tone? I thought it would have the other "woop" tone ...??

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
K, I'm and old Powercall man, so here goes.........

The square white plastic connector with the black and red wires is the POWER.

The round black connector with the wires coming out of it is the SPEAKER connections. They have 2 blade connectors, and those old wires should slip right out. I would remove those and replace with clear or different colored speaker wire (other than red or black!) so a mis-connection doesn't happen again. Crimp on connectors are all you need.

As far as the sparks, if it is working now, hopefully you didn't fry it. Also, don't EVER run an old electronic siren without a speaker attached! Yes, I know you can hear the sounds from the box, but you will blow your outputs, and then, clearly, it will suck to be you.

And NO GUYS, none of my 4 Powercalls are for sale! Sorry!! I will be listing some NOS Powercall parts soon.

Mark

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.