Getting the siren to work...

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
Hey everyone. So I recently got a Feinex Triton siren to mount, and I wired it up to my cencom sapphire. Only problem is, when I activate the button on my controller, all I can hear is what sounds like the internal siren from the Sapphire going off, and none at all coming from my speaker out on the front of the car. Any ideas?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
The (+) and (-) wires are all connected/secured to the proper terminals?

If you have an inline fuse, is the fuse bad?

Otherwise, it sounds like the driver in the siren speaker needs to be replaced or the speaker as a whole needs to be replaced.

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
The (+) and (-) wires are all connected/secured to the proper terminals?

If you have an inline fuse, is the fuse bad?

Otherwise, it sounds like the driver in the siren speaker needs to be replaced or the speaker as a whole needs to be replaced.
I'll recheck my connections tomorrow just in case, but it was freshly installed shortly before I posted. The speaker says its cables are not positive or negative, so it doesn't matter which one you go to. Is it possible the siren fuse has burnt out? I just figured if that had been the case, I wouldn't have heard anything at all, as opposed to just hearing what sounds like the box itself doing the internal siren.

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
The fact you hear the sound from the box tells you the unit is doing what its supposed to do. As for the speaker it definitely matters if you have + and - installed properly, and i would suspect you possibly have said wires
reversed of what they should be

However as another has said, always check your fuses

Reactions: SEPD_52

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
So a little update. I checked my connection to the speaker, those are solid. I swapped the wires going to the box to make sure it wasn't reversed, that wasn't it. The siren fuse in the Sapphire is good. Unfortunately I don't have another working speaker, but I could try to hook up my old controller to this speaker tomorrow and see if it'll play. IF it does, could this possibly be a problem with my programming in the whelen software when I set it up?

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
So a little update. I checked my connection to the speaker, those are solid. I swapped the wires going to the box to make sure it wasn't reversed, that wasn't it. The siren fuse in the Sapphire is good. Unfortunately I don't have another working speaker, but I could try to hook up my old controller to this speaker tomorrow and see if it'll play. IF it does, could this possibly be a problem with my programming in the whelen software when I set it up?
Hm... that would help to determine if it's a speaker or controller issue.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Whelen software but if you can customize and select which output the siren can be triggered by is it possible that the siren output was programmed to another output or trigger than the physical terminals on the back of the controller?

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
Hm... that would help to determine if it's a speaker or controller issue.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Whelen software but if you can customize and select which output the siren can be triggered by is it possible that the siren output was programmed to another output or trigger than the physical terminals on the back of the controller?
I'll definitely try it tomorrow. So according to the Sapphire manual, all you have to do is connect the Orange Wire and Brown Wire to the speaker, and the rest is done through the Sapphire. As far as I can tell, you don't need to hook an individual wire up for every tone. I'm going to look through the command software again just to make sure I'm not missing anything, but I'm in the same boat as you with not being an expert with it

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
I'll definitely try it tomorrow. So according to the Sapphire manual, all you have to do is connect the Orange Wire and Brown Wire to the speaker, and the rest is done through the Sapphire. As far as I can tell, you don't need to hook an individual wire up for every tone. I'm going to look through the command software again just to make sure I'm not missing anything, but I'm in the same boat as you with not being an expert with it
Update #2, I redid the command inputs from scratch, and still the same result. So until I test the speaker itself tomorrow, I'm definitely a bit stumped at the moment

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
On the sapphire, there are two browns and two orange wires on the same plug. Check your pin out, and make sure that you are using the correct wires. Ive gotten plenty of Whelen plugs that were pinned the wrong color, so don’t go strictly off of color, make sure that you are wired to the correct pin.

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
On the sapphire, there are two browns and two orange wires on the same plug. Check your pin out, and make sure that you are using the correct wires. Ive gotten plenty of Whelen plugs that were pinned the wrong color, so don’t go strictly off of color, make sure that you are wired to the correct pin.
Good point.. I'll have to double check that. In the event that isn't the issue, do you think its possible the Sapphire isn't picking up that the speaker is connected? Almost as if say, for example, Bluetooth doesn't always recognize a device is connected.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Oh my God I feel so stupid boys.. there's 2 of the same color brown. I have it wired to the one on like... pin #12 or whatever. Thank you so much for that suggestion, I would've never thought to look because those are the only 2 wires in that entire bundle that are the EXACT same color.
I’m glad someone got to it before I did. Don’t feel bad, I did the same thing on my Carbide. Felt like big dummy once I realized what I had done. Lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.