Give me your opinions on my flash patterns!

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
2010 Impala for general LEO Patrol duties.

SOS ETL 5000 up top, push bar incorporated lights (Unsure what brand), generic HAW in the headlights, HAW in taillights/reverse lights, and a HLF.

So far I only played with the lightbar flashing. It's got a pretty wide range of flash/sync availability, I was pretty impressed. Except for the back, where every pattern seems to try and blend colors and confuse your brain. The rear Amber modules also have red/blue LED's in them, but none of the patterns adequately utilize them, so this is the best I could come up with in my opinion.

I'm still torn on the Code 3 red/blue pattern. I might try the Roadrunner Slow pattern, which is just a slow red blue red blue red blue, much like CHP minus the steady red.

So the video is in 3 sections. First is rear for all 3 switch positions. Second is what the front does code 2, and third is code 3 of course.

Please let me know what you think, anything I can do to make it better. I haven't played with the modules in the push bar yet. But I will be moving them to their proper sides first and foremost. They have a pretty significant footprint, so I was considering steady burning them since I won't be able to sync them with the bar.

Reactions: OliverD and Tony P

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
So the plans so far:

-Move push bar modules to their proper sides, consider changing their patterns (Steady burn?)

-Hopefully find a way to slow the flash rate for the HLF. Seems too fast, I'd like to get down to the CVPI rate.

-The lightbar looks funny to me with the takedowns on either side of the middle modules. Considering moving the TD's to the middle.

-Also considering a slower, plain alternating flash pattern for the bar (Like CHP minus steady red). Called Roadrunner Slow.

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I’m not sure if you uploaded the right video or not, but I don’t see all the rear modes....I just see a rear mode with steadyburn amber. Instead of steadyburn all amber, I’d single flash all amber modules together (slow single flash pattern). Florida FHP used to do that with their rear TAs (they were programmed to turn on like that anytime vehicle was put in park) and the slow, large amber footprint was very effective attention-getter from a distance and closeup without blinding someone with seizure patterns. I don’t think steadyburn is effective b/c ppl will just ignore it like a marker light IMO.

Look like the grill lights are ions/ghosts. I initially would’ve assumed the latter (if the dept upfitted with 1 brand for the lightbar and everything else), but flash pattern looks like signal alert, so I’m leaning towards ions now.

—I think the grill lights look fine as they are. They’re on an effective flash pattern and i don’t think the vehicle has to be split up all blue on one side and all red on another. I actually think it looks silly when ppl do that b/c half the car will be more visible during the daytime (red side) and the other side will be more visible during nighttime (blue side). Def don’t think steadyburn looks good or is effective for your grill lights

—I think the HLF is fine as it is....rapid, single alternating flash pattern is very effective IMO. I don’t like super slow wigwag or the circus pattern (alternating double flash then both double flash)

All this being said, unless you’re allowed to add lighting, I wouldn’t change much. If they let you add lighting, I’d add a dash light, something on the side of the PB, and some lighting on the rear deck and call it a day

—it’s common to keep the TDs spread out, and (frankly) I’d move them further outward if I were you (have 4 flashing inboards then the TDs) b/c you spread out the footprint of the scene lighting more than if you put them right next to each other in the center of the bar IMO.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Thanks for the reply, was starting to think the forum died lol. That is the right video, that's the only rear pattern I have set. Like I was saying, the rear options leave a lot to be desired, I was hoping to do exactly as you said, but there's no pattern even close to that.

I'd lean toward ghosts, the upfitter is known for being a heavy pusher of SOS products.

Thanks for the input on the bar lights, I'll leave them be!

What do you think about the lightbar? Leave the quad flash or go to a slow alternating single flash?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I prefer all red on the driver's side and all blue on the passenger's side.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I would leave the front of the bar as is. The back just needs help. SOS has great tech support and I would call them to get the back setup the way you want. I like the setup but all my vehicles I concentrate on intersection protection. I would add a side push bumper light. I would agree to have an attention grabbing amber pattern. I would set the corners red/ blue to wigwag and flash the amber both sides then to the center. I like my headlight flasher slower. If it’s a SOS headlight flasher I think it’s a red with black tracer for the pattern.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thanks for the reply, was starting to think the forum died lol. That is the right video, that's the only rear pattern I have set. Like I was saying, the rear options leave a lot to be desired, I was hoping to do exactly as you said, but there's no pattern even close to that.

I'd lean toward ghosts, the upfitter is known for being a heavy pusher of SOS products.

Thanks for the input on the bar lights, I'll leave them be!

What do you think about the lightbar? Leave the quad flash or go to a slow alternating single flash?
I think you should leave the flash patterns as is....I think the quad flash is fine.
I don’t like the slow single flash unless it’s only used for a park mode on the blueprint (which you don’t have) b/c I don’t think it’s an attention getter while responding. Again, aside from setting the rear amber to flash slowly (I think any slow pattern u have will look better than steady burn), I wouldn’t change anything that you already have

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The rear Amber does not flash slowly, there simply isn't a pattern of the 16 or so that includes a slow flash. Half are Amber only, but they're all really fast, frantic patterns.

The other half of the patterns are all stupid fast, just mix in red/blue with the Amber. There isn't a single slow pattern for the rears.

I'll post a video later of the closest it's got, but it doesn't sync well with the outer red/blue ends.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Quick update, the front lights are Whelen Ion's, and I switched them around, I like red driver blue passenger. I left the flash patterns and sync alone on these.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Update from a while ago, just forgot to post it and ask opinions. I'd do more updating to the lights, but my new car is less than a month out.

I changed the HAW in the headlights to only code 3 from code 2 and 3. I also added a second set of modules to steady on code 2, so there's 2 red and 2 blue steady burning. Ions were changed out for dual color nForce modules. Video of the front to come. HLF cannot have patterns changed, so nothing else up front has changed.

I changed my rear to the following, I still don't love it, but the rear of the 5000 bar just leaves a lot to be desired. Video makes it hard to differentiate between red and amber. Basically it quickly alternates all blue modules/ambers to the left with all of the red modules/ambers to the right.

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not a huge fan of the rear flash patterns either. What about choosing a single flash slow pattern where they alternate like a slow wigwag (either left vs right alternating, or center inboards alternating with outer inboards)?

That’s what I’d choose if I had to vote for the most effective all around rear flash pattern (for positions 1-2-3); it’s a large, solid footprint that doesn’t blind ppl, whether it’s other LEOs following behind you code 3 or passerby’s if you’re parked on the side of the road

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The 5000 doesn't offer anything even close to that in the rear, aside from what the first video shows.

The corners, outermost modules on the rears, and all the fronts give me a large range of versatility, and tons of flash patterns and sync options.

However the rear arrow board is very limiting. All modules are split between amber and blue or red, and every flash pattern is a dazzling mess. I'll see if I can't find a video of it rotating through them all.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
My opinion is that there are to much amber and that the emergency vehicle colours disappears.

I am no fan of flashing in the break lights and position lights.
To little light output.

One thing that is very effective is to use auxilary driving lights that flash simultanious white light to the front.

I would suggest lights on the dash board and in the rear window.
They will be seen earlier and at a longer distans for the traffic in front off and behind you compared to the lower positioned brake and position lights.
No to mention that they will be seen when the cars are very close to you.

Regarding the roof bar there is one thing you might do and that is to buy a Whelen ULF44 LED-flasher and rewire the bar with it. You will have 63 different flash patterns that way.
You have four outputs with 5 Amps (60 Watt) on each output.

Michael

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
In my personal opinion after 30 years TD's need to be spaced apart for coverage, and you can't go all one color on one side, the idea is to catch someone's attention, so you split off one of each color to either side opposing each other, so red is flashing on the side you want and the opposite side and blue the same thing.
As for taillights there should be something in each, it gives your vehicle width instead of a narrow view thinking your smaller than you are, that's why we go tail light and backup lights in the cvpi because you have outer and inner coverage esp when your lights go opposite to each other( left to right and right to left ), if you had dash Kings from back on the day you go upper left to lower right, then upper right to lower left, this in concert with strobe taillights and backups or led backups gives you a WOW pattern to the rear that's eye catching and doesn't give you the stroboscopic effect that makes people aim at you

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
This is an old post but I still stand by it.

We’re running the same concepts, have just upgraded to MPower light bars and Blueprint for light control. Lately, we’ve been putting the individual traffic advisor heads on a Blueprint node and the control is impressive.

Last edited:

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Old thread, this car has since been de-commissioned but was run this way until the new ones got in. New cars are all slicktops with SOS bluePRINT. I'll put up a thread in a few days regarding them.

John, thanks for the link to that other thread, very good info there.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.