GMC Sierra Dual Color Set-up

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra extended cab that I am looking for some advice on. I work for a federal agency and have volunteered in different states over the past few years. At the moment, I am working in PA/NJ area, and volunteering in NJ, so blue lights for now. I am thinking of just doing all dual color lights with the ability of switching between red/blue depending on what state I am volunteering in at the time, instead of redoing everything every couple years.

Here is what I am thinking, but I am definitely open to suggestions. I've been looking at Feniex, but am open to other brands as well. Main concern is ability to switch between red/blue easily.
-Brush guard
-Feniex Apollo 400
-Feniex Fusion on sides
-Feniex Cannons in fog lights (already installed)
-Either a Feniex Dual dash light or visor bar for the front window
-Feniex Apollo F6 on the side steps (I like the look of them, but not sure I'll add them)
-Feniex Fusion side of toolbox
-Feniex Apollo 600 or 800 in rear window
-Feniex Cannons in reverse lights (already installed)
-Feniex Fusion rear license plate

Do these all have the ability to switch between red/blue easily? And I'd like them all to sync properly, so will these all sync together? My other question is if I go with another light brand, how hard would it be to sync them together and still retain the ability to switch between colors?

And as a side question, right now, I have two XTL radios mounted under my rear seat. I'd love to relocate everything to the rear wall of the cab. Anyone have any experience mounting an XTL brick to the rear wall of a Sierra/Silverado extended cab?

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
With Feniex, you generally have 2 mode trigger wires (Cannons have 3 triggers), you don't have a color option. But, the modes cycle through like this... color 1-pattern X, color 2-pattern X, color 1&2-Pattern X. So, you could set mode 1 to Blue-pattern X, and mode 2 to Red-Pattern X. Sync will work as long as they're all on the same pattern and the same firmware (Fusion series only has 1 firmware so far that I know of). This is done pretty commonly for volunteers who work construction or plow and need to run amber at work and red or blue for volunteer runs. Just keep in mind that mode 2 will override mode 1 if you have both switches on at the same time.

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
As far as mounting equipment to the rear wall goes, remove the carpet and glue a piece of plywood to the wall with construction adhesive. Then put the carpet back, now use short wood screws to mount tbe equipment to the back wall.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
SOS mpower are a nice, rugged multicolor option too. You can set to flash 1 color (blue only) or both colors (red blue)

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I've been spending the past couple weeks researching more, and I have tweaked my ideal set-up to better suit my needs. I'd like to add more white lighting for perimeter use (I don't like stumbling around in the dark much). And a few minor tweaks of what I'm looking to do. Just wanna get some feedback about my ideas before I push the order button. I think I picked lights that have each color controlled independently (those nForce/mpower instructions kinda confused me, so not sure if those would work either).

Front
-Whelen Inner Edge (blue) -already have, not dual color, but will upgrade when needed.
-Feniex Cannons (clear) -foglights, already installed
-Feniex Fusion 400 (b/r) -grille guard front
-Code 3 Chase (b/r) -grille guard sides
-(undecided yet, but have two rigid duallys on the grille guard I could flash with a HLF)
Sides
-Feniex F12 (r/c, b/c) -side steps. Flash color, white override
-Feniex Fusion Surface (b/r) -side toolbox
Rear
-Feniex Fusion 600 or 800 (b/r) -rear window
-Feniex Cannons (clear, pointed towards sides, not rear) -rear reverse lights
-Whelen TRIO (r/b/c) -under rear bumper. White on with reverse lights
-(undecided yet- SNM Eflood light with amber flashing)
Controls
-Feniex 4200 controller. Will control white lighting, as well as colored. I'm planning on running the wiring for a speaker, but have no use for one as of yet, so I don't anticipate installing it.

I'd like to have everything sync. I have one ULF44 already.
-Do they make a Fusion bar in a dummy version that I can use with an external flasher?
-I was wondering if I did one ULF for the blue side and one ULF for the red side, can they be synced together to flash r/b, if ever needed (I'm trying to anticipate my future needs.... I'm probably gonna end up in a green light or no light state after all this effort anyway.).
-Can I somehow wire the flashers up to the slide switch and have a button control the color? Ideally on the 4200, but if I had to have a separate one, no big deal. And would this be able to work with all 3 positions or would I have to configure it 3x?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.