Good (IMO) example of police turned citizens patrol car

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
This 2007 CVPI was rotated out of service and converted into the first citizens patrol car for the city. The graphics are in keeping with the color and basic design of the normal cars but changed enough to be distinct. The light bar is all amber and the siren, radar, cage, and base radio were all removed. The push bumper was kept in case a stalled vehicle needs to be pushed out of the road. There is also a picture of one of the new units for comparison.

IMG_0960 (1).jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Grand Prairie C.O.P. All have full radio's, some have MDC's for use by the retired LEO's who volunteer. Full sirens and amber/blue lights, MX7000's and Libertys. Preemption lights are very random on GPPD Squad cars, and even more so on C.O.P. cars.

ShowImage.aspx.jpg

2011_12_23_4844_gpcpaaa.JPG

GPPD active CVPI

5768493731_508335e328_z.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
CHIEFOPS said:
Vehicles don't have "base" radios, they have mobile radios

Around here, your portable is called your mobile (why that instead of 'portable' I have no idea) and the car is called the base. Dispatch radios are either 'master' radios or 'station'.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
RL1 said:
Around here, your portable is called your mobile (why that instead of 'portable' I have no idea) and the car is called the base. Dispatch radios are either 'master' radios or 'station'.

It never fails to amaze me how agencies or regions, mine included, can hang a name or description on something that completely deviates from it's common usage.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Like a MARS light... it's not from Mars...!! :haha:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
CHIEFOPS said:
It never fails to amaze me how agencies or regions, mine included, can hang a name or description on something that completely deviates from it's common usage.

What's funny is I used to call it the correct names before I moved. Then again, our 10-codes are also a lot different then the rest of the state (outside the metro area, 10-7 is out of service and -23 is on scene, while here -7 is on scene and there is no out of service, just ending tour which is -42 everywhere).

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
RL1 said:

Well that makes no sense at all but I guess if it works...

What I don't understand is why they would remove the radio( whatever you want to call it)? Isn't that the whole point? That least that's the way it works around here, the vol patrol around and if they see something they call in. Or they are called out to help with traffic or what ever. Without any why of calling in it's just driving around waste fuel.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Cam said:
Well that makes no sense at all but I guess if it works...
What I don't understand is why they would remove the radio( whatever you want to call it)? Isn't that the whole point? That least that's the way it works around here, the vol patrol around and if they see something they call in. Or they are called out to help with traffic or what ever. Without any why of calling in it's just driving around waste fuel.

We share our radio channel with the busiest PCT of the county PD (which, on day shift, is so busy you can literally put the radio on scan and still never hear anyone else's traffic since there isn't time for it to switch over). We really need two channels, but there are only so many and no one wants to give theirs up. The city bought the CP a cell phone so they can call 911 or the watch commander on cell, or any of the city officers on Nextel should they need to.

My city is in the process of annexing a lot more land which will mean a bigger PD. When this happens, I foresee us getting our own channel and giving the CP a radio to use along with it.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
We have a CoP fleet (15) of crown vics & explorers, slowly being replaced with new 4cyl escapes. they all have a intercity (mobile radio) mounted inside, and the Voulunteer carries a portable. The lighting is all Whelen, amber w/takedwns & alleys, rear of bar has 2red leds to the rear to differ the lights fron a construction or security vehicle and all have pa/ah/man/ other siren tones disabled, and the vehicles all have a MCT for computer aided dispatching. The graphics are identical to the sworn vehicles, with the exception of wording on the sides.

659 trailwood dr 021.jpg

Our CoP's Example duties include; responce to traffic accidents, special events, elder services, search & rescue, road obstructions, stand by for tow trucks while an officer takes a perp to jail, disabled vehicles, parking enforcement, some are certified to accually work the accidents & issue tickets like a traffic unit would. CoP's are utilized anywere they can be. ;)

Not bad for a Volunteer service that saves the dept the additional cost of hiring 30 additional full time employees . :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
We actually more CP vollies then sworn officers... yet we are having to pay a couple thousand in OT officers to stand at posts on the 4th because they don't want to ask the CP if they are willing to do it... and we have several officers who will be on foot, without a car or shelter despite the forecasted storm, because they chief doesn't want officers using the CP car... yeah, I'm unhappy.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice examples of CoP vehicles...maintaining a consistent graphic scheme, while clearly labeling the vehicle's purpose role (citizen observer) prominently. Some of those CoP vehicles even look better than the primary LE patrol units of some depts

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
some of those "COP" units look better than what most officers actually drive down here including my unit LOL.. I think if we were to have that program down here we would have to issue our volunteers full ballistic protection and some sort of AR-15 or Handgun for protection as well... or bad things would happen to them..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.