Good riddance to the Ford Taurus/PI?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I may be a dinosaur but I still think there's a market for the large sedan class, of which the Impala and Taurus/NGPI are not.
I'd like to see the Crown Vic return on the Lincoln Continental platform, which I believe is a long wheelbase Taurus, in a retail, taxi/livery and police version.

Last edited:
Reactions: FCV96 and Tony P

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
A SUV is kind of like a station wagon - you can haul more in the back of it than you can in the trunk of a car.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I love my Caprice V8 RWD full size sedan. But I love the room and space of a SUV, the Tahoe is king and the Ford Utility is good.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I've been predicting the death of the sedan in America for almost 10 years. I just don't see a need (or much of a market) for full-sized four-door cars. Especially when for only a few thousand dollars more you get so much more versatility out of an SUV.. even from small SUVs. I'm sure the sedan will live on as a novelty or in a small niche capacity (super cheap rentals, cabs in India & China). But there is no going back to the days of the Taurus, Impala or Camry selling 600,000 units stateside ever again. The margins are too small, anyway.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
If I didnt live in a Snow Belt city, I would probably drive a full size Station wagon, or at least a full size sedan...
2wd and snow and low ground clearance dont get along though.
Also, Love having the versatility of a pick-up

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
I think the biggest issue with sedans these days is that safety regulations and modern styling diminished or otherwise eliminated their benefits. You can barely see out of a Taurus thanks to its incredibly thick pillars and high belt-line. Initially I felt like I was sitting in a tank with slats for windows. The rear windshield may as well just not exist because it's absolutely useless for seeing behind you due to the height of the trunk. It's a massive car yet it still somehow manages to feel cramped on the inside. (With that said, I still think that it looks better exterior-wise than the Explorer PI, and probably fits better in traffic.)

The Crown Vic had visibility like an open-air greenhouse with plenty of stretching room by comparison.

Last edited:

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I may be a dinosaur but I still think there's a market for the large sedan class, of which the Impala and Taurus/NGPI are not.
I'd like to see the Crown Vic return on the Lincoln Continental platform, which I believe is a long wheelbase Taurus, in a retail, taxi/livery and police version.

You tell me !
I know it's a personal choice but I have been driving crown vic for the last 17 years and planning on keeping my 04 for another 15 years at least . They are outdated,under powered,and pretty plain boring compared to todays car but man they are dead reliable and easy to fix for cheap.
As much as I'm a die hard fan of the panther platform (crown vic,grand marquis lincoln town car) the closure of the ford st-thomas assembly plant in september 2011 was the last nail in the coffin of the last body on frame car in america and I dont see anything close to a bof any time soon for cars .

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
There's no reason a large fuel efficient car can't be offered on a unibody platform, Ford already has the Lincoln Continental as a starting point.

Last edited:

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
There's no reason a large fuel efficient car can't be offered on a unibody platform, Ford already has the Lincoln Continental as a starting point.
unibody and trans axle really sux from any mechanical point of view, that being said the rumor wants the taurus (for what is left) and explorer will be getting D6 platform wich gives more options of engine trans and axle . Pretty sure ford will pull the plug on the taurus just like they did for the last few years of production and will be offering them as fleet only

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I’ve seen an extremely small number of the new gen impala on the street, and 99% of the current gen Taurus that I’ve seen were fleet vehicles with city/government plates. I don’t think anyone is going to miss them

In South Florida, the charger and the NGPI sedan are hands down the most common. I’d like to see more Tahoes b/c of the space, the body on frame, and they’re not much more than the charger at gov contract ( if the bean counters want a financial incentive to justify the little difference, the Tahoes hold their value better when theyre retired and auctioned off ). I wouldn’t wanna be in a crash in the unibody vehicles and would wanna hold onto my CVPI as long as possible until my dept went with a better alternative. Fuel economy and lightweight parts aren’t my primary concern for an EV; make a DEPENDABLE body-on-frame vehicle that my brothers in blue can safely/comfortably operate in

Last edited:

prty

Apr 15, 2018
Ny, usa
I really only see the 2013 Taurus/PI on the streets anymore, no newer models. They're getting phased out with the PI/U. It's actually pretty funny, I've seen nissan altimas used o_Oo_Oo_O so ugly. Unfortunately the rule of thumb around here is anything and everything.
Nissan_Altima_Hybrid_NYPD_in_New_York_city.JPG

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I know I'm in canada and the impala isnt offered here but the dodge are more popular than the taurus and as far as the utility it's more popular with fire department and paramedic that law enforcement .

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Most of the departments in my area, aside from the city of Buffalo, have switched to the PIU...i dont see it lasting very long though, especially with GM offering 4WD on demand in the 2018+ PPV.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Most of the departments in my area, aside from the city of Buffalo, have switched to the PIU...i dont see it lasting very long though, especially with GM offering 4WD on demand in the 2018+ PPV.

The higher base price of the Tahoe PPV/SSV vs. the PIU is the only thing keeping it from being the #1 police vehicle choice

Reactions: prty

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Being a South Floridian, and having Multiple Relatives and Friends in Law Enforcement, As well as the Owner of 2 Ford C/V PI's one 04 and the other a 05, I can Say what I know about them as Being the Best Ever Created for Law Enforcement and Security, Dodge Chargers Wow talk about a Bad Car, the State Troopers Biggest Complaint car due to Brakes issues and Electrical issues. Being a lil Bigger guy I can say the Taurus and Explorer Versions of the New Units Suck for space when your in Full Gear, You Need more Room plus Leg Room, if your tall forget it, the Explorers are Smaller then their Predecessors ( My mom has a 02 ) and I rented a new one when I had to go Get My CEW Training and it may look nicer but it lacks the room. The Tahoes are supposed to be really nice but I have no Experience with them, is it true they start out as a V8 and come all the way down to a 4 cyl for fuel economy? The Worst thing ever done was Eliminating the Crown Vic but they said EPA Changes was its undoing, I think they are Outpricing us from decent cars and Suv's.... Heck when the Only Worthwhile trucks start around 50K we are all screwed. I Understand the New Fusion has been Certified for Police Duty as a Non Pursuit car in Hybrid/Flex Fuel, guess that means my bro in law and my other buddies Police Units May get Upgraded to those from their current units!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Ford has rated their Hybrid Fusion Responder as a Pursuit.
Re: the Charger, I owned a factory-ordered 2011 V6 Pursuit primarily as my POV for 6 years, I didn't have any significant problem with it beyond frequent front rotor wear out, I was very pleased with it's fuel efficiency which exceeds my 2017 PIU's hwy mileage by as much as 12 miles per gallon.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
The Worst thing ever done was Eliminating the Crown Vic but they said EPA Changes was its undoing

I think it was mainly due to how much of an investment the platform needed really. The St. Thomas Assembly plant tooling was worn and required replacing, new federal guidelines (like the requirement of electronic stability control) kicked in for the 2012 model year IIRC, and Ford just didn't seem interested in putting more money (or any advertising for that matter) into the panther platform for further development. A shame indeed.

Last edited:

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
The Tahoes are supposed to be really nice but I have no Experience with them, is it true they start out as a V8 and come all the way down to a 4 cyl for fuel economy?
This is a standard feature on all Full-Size GM Vehicles. Its called Displacement on Demand, or some bullshit like that. It causes the engines to eat oil(at least the 07-13's) and cannot be shut off, without a programmer. Even with that feature, my Silverado only gets around 17/highway

I think they are Outpricing us from decent cars and Suv's.... Heck when the Only Worthwhile trucks start around 50K we are all screwed.
I just did RFP's for work.

PIS: Starting at $29.000 for AWD
PIU: Starting at $32,000
F-150 "Police Responder" STarting at $42,500
Tahoe PPV: Starting at $42,800
Tahoe SSV: Starting at $45,200
Silverado SSV: Starting at $36,500
Ram SSV: Starting at $40,000

Luckily, My boss, and those above him understand that the PIU & PIS are polished turds, so they are leaning towards the Silverado and Ram.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I think it was mainly due to how much of an investment the platform needed really. The St. Thomas Assembly plant tooling was worn and required replacing, new federal guidelines (like the requirement of electronic stability control) kicked in for the 2012 model year IIRC, and Ford just didn't seem interested in putting more money (or any advertising for that matter) into the panther platform for further development. A shame indeed.
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly it, I visited the plant 4 times before it's closure in 2011 and compared to let say the rouge plan where the f-150 are made , the st-thomas plant looked outdated even from the outside. the panther platform was the last of a kind and sooner or later they had to pull the plug on it .

Reactions: FCV96

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
This is a standard feature on all Full-Size GM Vehicles. Its called Displacement on Demand, or some bullshit like that. It causes the engines to eat oil(at least the 07-13's) and cannot be shut off, without a programmer. Even with that feature, my Silverado only gets around 17/highway

I just did RFP's for work.

Luckily, My boss, and those above him understand that the PIU & PIS are polished turds, so they are leaning towards the Silverado and Ram.

That's MSRP pricing not municipal bid pricing but still accurate as to the pricing scale

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
That's MSRP pricing not municipal bid pricing but still accurate as to the pricing scale
correct. I'm just the poor bastard that needs a new vehicle, and get to spec what I would like. I dont get access to the Municipal Bid Pricing, or anything like that, although I did stumble across a document that said the NYSP Liberties were priced at $4999/bar

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
If ford were to get rid of the taurus all together and point all their resources towards the PIU that might get the cost down a bit. The PIU seems like the crutch of the interceptor line and the taurus should move along. And that’s coming from a former owner.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
This is exactly it, I visited the plant 4 times before it's closure in 2011 and compared to let say the rouge plan where the f-150 are made , the st-thomas plant looked outdated even from the outside. the panther platform was the last of a kind and sooner or later they had to pull the plug on it

Wish I could have made the trip over there to have seen it at least once!

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
Wish I could have made the trip over there to have seen it at least once!

heres a link below , it is not quite like if you were there but very interesting non the less. I even made it in the article with my car :D
The panther platform has been organizing meeting and tour at the factory since the early 2000's and the last year we gather more than 50 cars for this EPIC shot in front of the factory, I meet lots of great people over the years and I really miss those days .

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1103-st-thomas-assembly-plant-tour/

IMG_0016e.jpg

That being said I got to drive my friends 2013 civilian fully loaded 3.5 AWD taurus for a week and I didnt like it at all. There is absolutly no comparaison to be made with the crown vic but I just didnt like the crampy interior with the huge center console and small windows . Mechanically speaking he had to replace the transfercase under warranty once and not the rack and pinion is playing games and is stiff as hell.The 3.5 is somewhat decent but is lacking the torque needed to get that heavy car get up and go from a dead stop. No cars are perfect but at 60k miles on the clock he wont be keeping the car for another 60k and I dont blame him. Time will tell with the d6 platform what they will do with the taurus .

Reactions: FCV96

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Directly from The Detroit News. I interpret this as the end of the Fusion and the Taurus. The only “cars” remaining after 2020 will be the Focus and the Mustang.

I wonder if they’ve ever considered an Edge Interceptor.

Ford to cut car lineup to 2 vehicles and trim costs

https://detne.ws/2HxreII

Reactions: prty

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Those Tahoe prices sound high. That’s probably MSRP, but not actual price paid. I heard they run in the low 30’s.

It’s confirmed that Ford is gonna cease all sedans/cars except Mustang and the Focus, since 70% of new vehicle purchases in the US have been crossovers, SUVs, & trucks in the last few years

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Those Tahoe prices sound high. That’s probably MSRP, but not actual price paid. I heard they run in the low 30’s.
Correct. as I said, I dont get access to municipal price sheets, just MSRP Pamphlets.

They expect me to write a RFP, and then want to surprise me with the real price later :sarcasm:

Ive heard Tahoes are actually around 33, and Silverados around 27

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.