got a question and not sure where to put it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
ok so i put in most of my new lights and all the fun stuff this last weekend. my question is this what do most of your installers use to turn equipment on when you get in to the vehicle? is it a relay a standard ole heavy switch? my radio has a ign sense but switch panel and everything else? help please thanks.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Really depends on your user habits. This is the question I always ask my clients so I can configure the wiring to meet their parameters. Some are straightforward with hot & ignition connections while depts like USFS has everything on a solenoid where EVERYTHING shuts off when the ignition is off. Typically, equipments that have "hot" and "ignition" are wired accordingly with the exception of the ignition which is connected to a delay timer, usually 1 hour. Switches are generally hot regardless of ignition position so you can run some lights while keeping the keys with you. To take it up a notch, you can either use a manual reset breaker or have a relay/solenoid to shut off power to the switches via a hidden switch, ignition switch, or a combination of both. If you just want to kill the power feed to the lights that's under 30a, a simple toggle switch will do.

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
okthats a lil helpfull! we are needing to kill siren and radio and switches also! we dont want someone to jump out or in and forget to turn something off and kill the batts as that has happend alot lately! damn probies. you say solenoid would that just be a standard solinoid or something special?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I've used a Standard Motor Products SS608 solenoid for many applications. This solenoid is 'continuous duty' and has a contact rating of 80 amps. Your local parts store *will* be able to cross-reference that part number to their own numbering system.

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
fireman846 said:
haha you funny haha you so funny you got jokes! well im just wanting to know whats the best way to help combat battery drain!

sorry, couldn't resist :lol: The solenoid is a good idea, though, I've seen it used and it really is pretty simple and effective ... I like triggering it from an ignition only source (like the radio) if you're concerned about forgettingto leave stuff on, from a "master" switch is another way to do it ... personally,I don't use the ignition trigger in case I want something to be on with the truck off (like my LEDs), but am considering a hidden master switch for when it goes to the shop, etc ...

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Best way is to wire equipment to hot if they depend on an ignition connection via a seperate wire like most radios do, and wire ignition circuits to an ignition delay timer. This method can prevent dead battery issues by operators who forget to shut off some switches. When wired correctly, you shouldn't need a solenoid or even relays.

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
so would a charge gaurd help then? my main worry is the siren and the a few other odd ball things. i might leave lights alone as they have indicator lights when they are on.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
We manufacture ignition delay modules so to get the right idea, look on our website for info & installation guides. There are a few others that makes delay timers, chargeguards only shuts off when the battery runs too low, not timed fyi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.