Great Toy Store Find !

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Ha.. I pulled you in with that title.. I did find this among some toys in an antique store. It said Whelen so it has to be a real thing right? Brand new, doesn't look like it's ever been used. Cord still wrapped. Magnet on the bottom. It was marked $6

Well it won't win any awards for brightness. But it does have the rear cover for dash use. Did a quick net search and basically found nothing.

Behold.. toy or real? Whelen Model 1010

20170212_171005 (Medium).jpg

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
The 1010 was actually from the Austin Electronics side of the business, and a basic strobe beacon for forklifts and similar. The 1002 was only 2-watts, while the 1010 was the 10-watt model. They were also available in 110VAC models for industrial applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I remember those in the catalog from that outfit up in the northeast who's no longer in business...dammed if I can't remember the name of that joint...
help me out here... They always had the little catalogs, not much more than a flyer...

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I remember those in the catalog from that outfit up in the northeast who's no longer in business...dammed if I can't remember the name of that joint...
help me out here... They always had the little catalogs, not much more than a flyer...
NSEO ? National Safety Equipment Outlet ? I still have a few of their catalogs

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
NSEO ? National Safety Equipment Outlet ? I still have a few of their catalogs
That's it! I remember these little strobes in their catalog...

I believe they used these same little bastards in the Austin line of the mini Responder strobe bars with the fluted outer lenses.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Try 8 AAA, AA, C, or D alkaline batteries in series. Bigger will last longer, smaller is lighter. If you use rechargeable batteries, you may need to up it to ten batteries because they tend to run only 1.25V compared to 1.5V from alkaline. Just hold an 8-pack of each size in the store to get a feel how much a homemade battery pack would weigh. You can get plastic holders on eBay that just have the 2 wires at the end that would put out your 12V. I would only recommend this for LEDs and Strobes. Anything with a motor would kill the batteries way too fast.

Reactions: Skulldigger

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.