Green leds for fire vehicles

Sep 8, 2012
eastern nc
so just out of curiosity, whats everyones opinion on green lights being on fire trucks/dept vehicles? How many green lights do you consider optimal? How many is too many? Do they just belong on the right side or can they be put where ever? No right answer here just trying to get everyones opinion on this, looking to update dept lighting, will be adding green to the existing red/white.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
What's everyone's opinion on following your state's lighting statutes?
What's everyone's opinion on confusing the hell out of multi-agency scenes where green indicates the one Incident Command vehicle?
What's everyone's opinion on trying to look like they live in Chicago?
Just pulling your chain a little....

Reactions: Eric1249 and Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
under the frame of the vehicle for that cool lighting effect

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I grew up with fire trucks having green on the front by the headlights...but then again I grew up in Chicago so I'm also used to firetrucks that can be heard for miles.

Sep 8, 2012
eastern nc
I wouldnt say that most depts in my area have them but there are several that utilize green on their apparatus and two or three counties over they even have them on their ambulances. I dont think there needs to be a ton of green lights on any vehicle but our chief wants to put them on so they probably will go on. I do like green because of the way it stands out but i also agree with people here that it may/will confuse people.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Depending on where you live depends on what Green can be used for. In NY, for example, Green is used by Volunteer ambulance corps members, as to not be confused with Volunteer Firefighters, who use Blue, in NYS. Also, Fire apparatus in Western NY use Green as their "Hydrant Light" to signal when the pump operator is ready for Water.
In KY, and a couple other states, Green indicates an Incident command vehicle.
So really, it depends on what is allowed in your State's Vehicle and Traffic Law.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P
Sep 8, 2012
eastern nc
Im in eastern nc, green is typically an indication of command, some depts on the beach and closer to the beach use it for traditional reasons, no clue why one of the counties have them on their ambulances? Only other application ive seen around here is for hospital security or similar security

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
In Michigan, green is often used to denote command but until recently was not specifically noted in the law. In fact, the law said anything not specifically authorized was prohibited.

In September, the law was changed to allow either amber and/or green for governmental snow plows and listed as allowable for fire vehicles.

Duo

Dec 3, 2012
Lexington, KY
Green means go. What color light do I want people to ignore when someone is directing traffic or asking for the right of way?

I don't understand what genius thought we should use a color that signifies "all good" or "go" at situations where things are obviously not all good and STOP.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Green means go. What color light do I want people to ignore when someone is directing traffic or asking for the right of way?

I don't understand what genius thought we should use a color that signifies "all good" or "go" at situations where things are obviously not all good and STOP.

I've seen many plows using green in Ohio and even more using blue in Colorado. I have never gotten the sense that anyone was confused thinking that green meant "go" when flashing on the sides of a huge DOT vehicle. And I've never seen anyone here in Denver confuse blue lights on DOT trucks as police or fire. That said, anything being used WITH amber really enhances the attention-grabbing qualities.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.