Greene County Paramedics

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Do those SUVs carry medical equipment to treat patients or are they just supervisors' vehicles?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I would assume that they are actual MIC Units, but I could be wrong... We used to have one in my County that ran out of the local hospital. But after the Hospital changed to a for profit hospital, they saw that the MIC Unit was losing more money than it made, so it was dissolved.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Wailer said:
Do those SUVs carry medical equipment to treat patients or are they just supervisors' vehicles?

Full blown Advanced Life Support fly car which carries all the meds, fluids, IV administration gear, cardiac monitor, defib, etc. as required by New York State Dept. of Health Part 800 regs.

IIRC, DOH rules won't let agencies label a fly car "Paramedic" unless it carries the required gear and is staffed by at least one Paramedic.

In most systems here in NY, ALS fly cars respond along with BLS ambulances.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Steve0625 said:
In most systems here in NY, ALS fly cars respond along with BLS ambulances.

I can't help but ask a stupid question here... what's the purpose of having a 'fly car' when an ambo is available to respond?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Wailer said:
I can't help but ask a stupid question here... what's the purpose of having a 'fly car' when an ambo is available to respond?

Because the Ambulance is BLS. All the ambulances here in my area are BLS only and we dispatch ALS along with them on serious calls. Some ALS trucks are transport capable, some are not.

They all have the same equipment, minus the cot...lol

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Wailer said:

Best use of resources.... Many calls are BLS. If you tie up a Paramedic, a $20K monitor/defib and a huge box of drugs on a taxi ride, it is not available for someone who might need it.

So, send a BLS ambulance and an ALS fly car on criteria calls. If not needed, ALS can go back in service while BLS finishes the job.

One set of ALS gear and Paramedic can serve a larger call base from a fly car. Where I did most of my early EMS, they ran 9 or 10 BLS ambulances and one or two ALS fly cars. 2 fly cars, 2 sets of als gear, and 2 paramedics are also a lot less expensive than 10 sets of gear and 10 paramedics.

Not every ambulance service can afford to put a Paramedic and the required gear in every ambulance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit to add: Also, many agencies equip some or all of their fly cars with MCI and/or other specialized gear. Same reasoning: best and most efficient use of resources.

AEMT_I_5044

Jan 13, 2011
New York
Hallo everyone and Happy belated New Years.

Here is some information on Greene County Emergency Medical Systems (Greene County Medics)

Greene EMS is a private company which provides Paramedic Services to Greene County located in upstate New York. They operate 4 duty units (Medic 3, 5, 7, and 9) as well as a Chief of operations unit which operates Monday-Friday (Medic 1). Also housed in their Cairo New York station is a spare unit (Medic 8).

Greene EMS is stationed out of Cairo New York (Medic 7 & 8), Leeds New York (Medic 3), Windham New York (Medic 9) and Coxsackie New York (Medic 5). The Medic located in Coxsackie covers the Town of Coxsackie and the town of New Baltimore New York. Medic 3 located in Leeds NY covers the entire Town Of Catskill and the Town Of Athens New York (where part of the movie "War of the worlds" was filmed). Medic 9 which is stationed in Windham NY covers the entire "mountaintop" of Greene County (Hunter, Windham, Jewit, East Jewit, Lexington, Prattsville, and Ashland. Medic 7 which is stationed in Cairo New York covers the towns of Cairo, Durham, and Greenville. Medic 1 is a mobile unit that covers whereever its needed.

Most of the Ambulance services within the County Of Greene are BLS units. However there are a few services (Catskill, Cairo, Durham, and Greenville) are staffed by Basic EMT's and Intermediate EMT's on any given shift. The Town Of Windham Ambulance is the only Paramedic Ambulance Service in Greene County.

Each Medic vehicle is staffed with a full assortment of ALS equipment as well as BLS equipment. Greene EMS responds to all Charlie, Delta, and Echo level priority calls dispatched in Greene County.

1 Paramedic level provider is assigned to each unit for 12-24 hour shifts,

Most all lighting on these vehicles are code 3 with the exception of Medic 9 which has Federal Signal lighting.

I will try to post a video soon here are a few more photos.... Also please excuse any spelling errors in this write up

GCEMS Spare Medic 8... Medic 3 & 8 in front of station - a set on Flickr

Med-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

GCEMS 2010 Medic 3 - a set on Flickr

As always be safe out there

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
AEMT_I_5044 said:

Here is some information on Greene County Emergency Medical Systems (Greene County Medics)

Nice writeup and explanation of your system down there. Like I said previously, excellent use of trained people and equipment there.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Flashguy said:
That's a very interesting concept. Is there any issue with abandonment when the medic leaves for the EMT's to transport?

No abandonment issues as there are protocols in place just those situations. The patient has to meet all the requirements of the protocol to be released to BLS. If there is any doubt, they err on the side of the patient and the Paramedic goes to the hospital on the ambulance.

Also, in some systems, it is possible that there is no EMT-B available so the Paramedic is automatically committed to the entire call. A lot of the area around here is rural or wilderness. Squads don't always have the luxury of a full BLS crew plus the Paramedic.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
As an upstater, I would like to point out that Greene County NY is NOT upstate NY. Hell, it's not even above 50% of the state. Back on topic...

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
philyumpshus said:
As an upstater, I would like to point out that Greene County NY is NOT upstate NY. Hell, it's not even above 50% of the state. Back on topic...

There's a bit of a hierarchy to this "upstate" stuff here in the Empire State.

For folks like Phil, they are pretty much on the "roof top". Most folks up there can see Canada from their back yards.

I'm in the lower part of the upper half here in Fulton County, but inside the Adirondacks, barely.

I lived most of my life in the Rochester area (true western NY), and that's all upstate. But some folks downstate think that WNY is another country.

Greene County is the upper part of the lower half of upstate but people think of it as a suburb of NYC. Not sure why, either.

To folks in New York City and Long Island, anything north of the City is "upstate." Don't ask them where the Adirondack Park is located either.

And for many folks who live outside of NY, we New Yorkers all live in New York City. But 95% of the state is not NYC or Long Island.

It's always lively here.

rsmartin

Aug 17, 2011
Stamford NY
AEMT_I_5044 said:

Greene EMS is a private company which provides Paramedic Services to Greene County located in upstate New York. They operate 4 duty units (Medic 3, 5, 7, and 9) as well as a Chief of operations unit which operates Monday-Friday (Medic 1). Also housed in their Cairo New York station is a spare unit (Medic 8).

Greene EMS is stationed out of Cairo New York (Medic 7 & 8), Leeds New York (Medic 3), Windham New York (Medic 9) and Coxsackie New York (Medic 5). The Medic located in Coxsackie covers the Town of Coxsackie and the town of New Baltimore New York. Medic 3 located in Leeds NY covers the entire Town Of Catskill and the Town Of Athens New York (where part of the movie "War of the worlds" was filmed). Medic 9 which is stationed in Windham NY covers the entire "mountaintop" of Greene County (Hunter, Windham, Jewit, East Jewit, Lexington, Prattsville, and Ashland. Medic 7 which is stationed in Cairo New York covers the towns of Cairo, Durham, and Greenville. Medic 1 is a mobile unit that covers whereever its needed.

Most of the Ambulance services within the County Of Greene are BLS units. However there are a few services (Catskill, Cairo, Durham, and Greenville) are staffed by Basic EMT's and Intermediate EMT's on any given shift. The Town Of Windham Ambulance is the only Paramedic Ambulance Service in Greene County.

Each Medic vehicle is staffed with a full assortment of ALS equipment as well as BLS equipment. Greene EMS responds to all Charlie, Delta, and Echo level priority calls dispatched in Greene County.

1 Paramedic level provider is assigned to each unit for 12-24 hour shifts,

Most all lighting on these vehicles are code 3 with the exception of Medic 9 which has Federal Signal lighting.

I will try to post a video soon here are a few more photos.... Also please excuse any spelling errors in this write up

GCEMS Spare Medic 8... Medic 3 & 8 in front of station - a set on Flickr

Med-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

GCEMS 2010 Medic 3 - a set on Flickr

As always be safe out there

You can send one of them across the line to Delaware County if you want :D

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Steve0625 said:

For folks like Phil, they are pretty much on the "roof top". Most folks up there can see Canada from their back yards.

I'm in the lower part of the upper half here in Fulton County, but inside the Adirondacks, barely.

I lived most of my life in the Rochester area (true western NY), and that's all upstate. But some folks downstate think that WNY is another country.

Greene County is the upper part of the lower half of upstate but people think of it as a suburb of NYC. Not sure why, either.

To folks in New York City and Long Island, anything north of the City is "upstate." Don't ask them where the Adirondack Park is located either.

And for many folks who live outside of NY, we New Yorkers all live in New York City. But 95% of the state is not NYC or Long Island.

It's always lively here.

As a former Rochesterian I can say this is 100% true. Now living in Ohio when people find out I lived in NY all I get is, "Oh the city is great for (insert whatever reason) and I love going there" :suicide:

Anything north of Wechester Co is upstate to folks in the city. The Adirondacks is Canada. :duh:

Steve, eat a garbage plate for me... I really miss those things :D

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Steve0625 said:

It's always lively here.

Neighbor!!

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't know if anyone has realized... Its Greene County not Green (like the color). Anyway, ALS and BLS flycars are very popular in NY and serve a variety of functions.

Steve0625 said:

It's always lively here.

Well said... 100% true!

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
CPDG23 said:
Steve, eat a garbage plate for me... I really miss those things :D

Oh now you are going to have to explain what a Garbage Plate is and about Tahoe's at 3:00am!!!

I live in Avon, work for Livingston Co full time and Chili FD part time. Now only true Rochesterain's would know the proper way to pronounce Avon and Chili!!!!

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Bill Boyd said:
Oh now you are going to have to explain what a Garbage Plate is and about Tahoe's at 3:00am!!!

I live in Avon, work for Livingston Co full time and Chili FD part time. Now only true Rochesterain's would know the proper way to pronounce Avon and Chili!!!!

I never went back to Tahoes after getting held up at knife point.

Empire Hots was quite a bit safer.

Avon- Av like an avalanche, on like the on button.

Chili- Chi like the tea, Lie like a liar.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
Albany County does the same thing, it's run by the Sheriff's Office, I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
FDNY 10-75 said:
Albany County does the same thing, it's run by the Sheriff's Office, I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

Please do! Thanks!

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
CPDG23 said:
I never went back to Tahoes after getting held up at knife point.

Empire Hots was quite a bit safer.

Avon- Av like an avalanche, on like the on button.

Chili- Chi like the tea, Lie like a liar.

Sad, Tahoes closes at 8pm now. So now more after dark entertainment.

A garbage plates is your choice of meats, usually hot dogs, hamburger, or cheese burger, on top of mac salad and home fries, smother in onions, mustard, and meat hot sauce!!!! It is all mixed together, hence, Garbage Plate!

It is a favorite of Police/Fire/EMS, and yes Dispatchers, at any hour of the day!

May 22, 2010
New York City
i see this trucks daily when im upstate.........they always fly down 23 or 9w

they are lit very generously , next time i see one i will try and take a video.....

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.