Ground & Power Block

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
Hello all,

When installing accessories (lights, sirens, etc), do you utilize both a power and ground block as part of your install or do you ground near the mounting location?

Thanks!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
depends on what your wiring where.. light heads get grounded near where you install them. console mounted or other similar items that would be installed close to each other could be a ground/ power block. radios and other specified equipment go straight to battery if instructions specify.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave F

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Its all in the installers preference. If wire cost isn’t a concern, you can run all of your grounds to one spot, and you can make one main power stud with a breaker near the battery. This will allow you to easily disconnect all of your accessories with the push of a button. If you are only adding a few things, then it might be easier to ground your wires near the lightheads, and run power wires directly and fused at the battery. I prefer all of my fusing, grounds, and power in one place. Then if you should ever have to troubleshoot, everything is in one place, nice and easy.
This is how I build full squad cars.
A29B3185-94FA-4E2F-8A8D-585487D9CF6D.jpeg

Reactions: fp13-2

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
its not good to run every single ground to one place.. its called resistance... easy sure.. safe... questionable. keep grounds short as possible...

bring on the butthurt.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
its not good to run every single ground to one place.. its called resistance... easy sure.. safe... questionable. keep grounds short as possible...

bring on the butthurt.
Lol! There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as your wires can support the load. Most light heads are drawing less than one amp. I use a minimum of 16 guage wire, and none of those wires are longer than 15 feet. Resistance is not an issue. If you know how to do math, you will be just fine.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Not everything in that car is grounded on that one stud. All my front end lights are grounded near the battery. And all of my dash and console equipment are grounded in the console. The grounds on that board are only lights in the rear, and the equipment on that board.

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon

bring on the butthurt.
When grounding, do you always use a screw? Or is there another method?

Its all in the installers preference. If wire cost isn’t a concern, you can run all of your grounds to one spot, and you can make one main power stud with a breaker near the battery. This will allow you to easily disconnect all of your accessories with the push of a button. If you are only adding a few things, then it might be easier to ground your wires near the lightheads, and run power wires directly and fused at the battery. I prefer all of my fusing, grounds, and power in one place. Then if you should ever have to troubleshoot, everything is in one place, nice and easy.
View attachment 229422
Would love to be able to understand this photo more. Always more learning...

View attachment 229422
Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.54.52.png
So this would be your ground?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
That is a ground stud..the wood isn't a ground.

I use whatever factory bolt is closest.. strip the paint under it and add wire in a split or eye connecter

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Yes, what Jarred said. That is a ground stud. I run a heavy guage, usually 6g,(a very short cable to a good ground). Grind the paint so your terminal ring makes good bare metal contact. If you are running grounds near your lighthead, still always grind the paint where you put your ground. You can use a self-driller screw to attach your terminal. If it is in a location that will be subject to oxidation or rust, I will hit it with a coat of spray paint after its secure, just to seal it from rust. If you are ever unsure of your ground, use a multimeter, and hook one end directly to the ground on your 12v battery and the other to your ground, and check the resistance using the continuity, or ohm resistance. That will tell you how good your ground is.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.