Grounding

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
Where should I ground my emergency equipment.  Why should I ground it at that specific spot?

Should I ground them to the body at each lighthead?

Should I run the grounds back to a central point and ground that to the body or frame?

Should I run the grounds back to a central point and ground that to the battery?

Should I only use a factory bolt or a self tapping screw?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Always best to ground to the battery
Actually, no, its not always best yo ground at the battery...  

Personally, I ground all my equipment relatively close, to a good body/frame grounding point...  I try not to run too long of a ground, but it all depends on the equipment...  Higher power things (sirens, stereo amps, ect) I try not to go any longer than 2 feet for a ground...  Lower power items I'll run a little longer and ground at a central point...  

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wilsonbr90

marionso14

Mar 5, 2012
US Mississippi
Typically grounds should only be a foot or two away from the equipment. general rule of thumb is the wire supplied with the equipment is sufficient in length. body ground is typically best option

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
I ran all of my grounds to a central distribution block on one side with a jumper on the other and had one grounding wire go a couple of feet to a body ground, that was for my LEDs, for my siren (hhs2200) I ran it directly to the body ground

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
clear paint off desired area, use a self taper , or if possible bolt through the mteal. make sure that part fo the vehicle is an atual "ground" if necessary use ground strapping to connect to frame is not a unibody vehicle

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.