HALO bulb wiring diagram help

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Don't want to burn anything up in blue smoke and looking for some help.

Does anybody know what three connections on the bulb are? Ie which is neg, signal, and stop or turn. I included some pictures to try and help. Thanks

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_25_8ysasyta.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_25_dyqe8ejy.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_25_yrene8ad.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I think that the HALO were only designed for CVPI, no? What is their stock bulb type, 3157 or 3156, assuming its for the back?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
You are correct. CVPI only. 3157 is the bulb. I have front and rear systems to be installed. Making harnesses to plug into factory wiring so I don't have to make any cuts into factory harness. Basically making them plug and play. My brain must be fried tonight because everything I punch into google for 3157 does not show me the info.

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
I should of gave you a heads up on the wiring, coming from the control module are (2) 6 wire looms, you have to wire them into your factory wires by cutting your harness and looping in the halo system. here is the whelen diagram for the system. you just have to figure out the colors/functions on the vehicle your installing them in.

http://www.whelen.com/install/140/14041.pdf

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
Except you're trying to not cut the wires. The only thing I could think of is going to a junk yard and taking them from a junked vic

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Lseg810 said:
Except you're trying to not cut the wires. The only thing I could think of is going to a junk yard and taking them from a junked vic

"What the what".... This system must be spliced into the vehicle to allow for proper function of park/turn and warn... There is no way to not integrate the vehicle circuits.. The control box is wired into the vehicle, and the led replacement bulbs must be connected to specific ports on the "brain" unit via the proper harnesses. These bulbs will NOT directly replace your lamps without the controller.!.. U will get magic smoke .!.!.!.. Friends don't let friends kill lights for no good reason.. :duh:

Hope this helps. :cool:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
firebuff17 said:
You are correct. CVPI only. 3157 is the bulb. I have front and rear systems to be installed. Making harnesses to plug into factory wiring so I don't have to make any cuts into factory harness. Basically making them plug and play. My brain must be fried tonight because everything I punch into google for 3157 does not show me the info.

you MUST cut the factory wiring.. no way around it.

get a copy of the wiring schematic for your vehicle (electrical/lighting specifically), match them up to the wiring schematic for Whelen, cut, connect properly (solder/waterproof connectors) and profit.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
My brain was firing correctly today and found the wiring schematic for 3157 bulbs.

I have both male and female 3157 connectors that I will wire into the HALO system so I won't have to cut factory wiring making it simple plug and play. Plug in male connector into factory female light socket, install HALO bulb with new female connector attached to HALO wiring and BAM!! Ready to go. And of course the necessary power and switches needed for the system.

I have front and rear systems so stay tuned in the coming months for install pics and vids.

Thank you everyone for your help

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What vehicle you installing into? I'd be interested in seeing a detailed install includimg multiple photos on how you did this. And fit everything behind light housings.

Also note the halo control boxes are not waterproof.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
2014 Ram 1500 crew cab. I plan on taking a lot of photos of the install process.

It's going to be a long process to install. Have a lot on my plate and this will be filler when I have time. Plus truck won't fit in garage and it's cold as he'll out know with snow on ground So it may be awhile before I get it finished.

One of the things I knew I needed to do was to extend the cabling so I can mount the boxes inside the cab. Kinda a pain but I know it's doable and going to be worth it in the end.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I am curious to find out if the Ford specific set up will work with the Ram computer. I had a customer in yesterday with a 2012 Ram 1500, he put aftermarket LED taillights in, and not only had fast flash turn signals, but ABS, TCS, and ESB/BAS lights were on.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
HILO said:
I am curious to find out if the Ford specific set up will work with the Ram computer. I had a customer in yesterday with a 2012 Ram 1500, he put aftermarket LED taillights in, and not only had fast flash turn signals, but ABS, TCS, and ESB/BAS lights were on.

Hmmm,

I guess I will find out when it comes time. I believe it was unlisted that said he installed the system on various vehicles, and someone else said they installed in a Tahoe. So we will see. I am up for a challenge!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I have found ABS, TCS, and related lights on in Toyota/Lexus, Chrysler products, and Nissan/Infinity, and the reason the warning lights were on was because a brake light bulb was burnt out. The cars computer reads return voltage, or in this case, less or no voltage returned and thinks there is a problem in the braking system. This casues the ABS, Traction control, and stability control, to shut off.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
HILO said:
I have found ABS, TCS, and related lights on in Toyota/Lexus, Chrysler products, and Nissan/Infinity, and the reason the warning lights were on was because a brake light bulb was burnt out. The cars computer reads return voltage, or in this case, less or no voltage returned and thinks there is a problem in the braking system. This casues the ABS, Traction control, and stability control, to shut off.

I think the whelen HALO control box has some magic inside to prevent this/these code(s) from being thrown up..

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
unlisted said:
I think the whelen HALO control box has some magic inside to prevent this/these code(s) from being thrown up..

I agree, to the extent that it is used on the Crown Vic. Which is why I am wanting to see how it acts with much newer vehicle technology. I have been wondering why Ford did not have a new version of HALO designed for the NBS Taurus and Explorer PPV's so they could offer those instead of of HAW LEDs.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
HILO said:
I agree, to the extent that it is used on the Crown Vic. Which is why I am wanting to see how it acts with much newer vehicle technology. I have been wondering why Ford did not have a new version of HALO designed for the NBS Taurus and Explorer PPV's so they could offer those instead of of HAW LEDs.

I'd suspect it was simply the DOT certification/headache for exact model years of certain vehicles... and poor past sales of the original HALO kit..

Kinda sad.. this thing rocks. Is it bad I am considering downgrading my factory led taillights so I can use these? :bonk:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.