Halogen Light Flasher

BlackCat

Sep 29, 2010
USA
I have a pair of red halogen grille/deck lights that I'd like to mount in the back window of a pickup truck.

My question is, how do I make these flash? Simultaneously is just fine. Cheapest and easiest is best!

Thank you

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

BlackCat

Sep 29, 2010
USA
So it IS that simple? I was hoping so!

If I went to my local Farm & Fleet or Auto Parts store and picked up the 536 flasher do I just put in line with the positive wire and when I flip a toggle they'll come on and flash?

Thanks for the help!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
BlackCat said:
So it IS that simple? I was hoping so!

If I went to my local Farm & Fleet or Auto Parts store and picked up the 536 flasher do I just put in line with the positive wire and when I flip a toggle they'll come on and flash?

Thanks for the help!

Yep...

Just wire switched 12v to the positive spade connector of the flasher and hook the lights up to the other connector on it... ground the lights they will flash together. A 3 prong flasher has one connector for each light and they will alternate.

BlackCat

Sep 29, 2010
USA
Great! That's exactly what I was hoping for. I think they have to flash simultaneously according to state law but I'll check that out.

Thank you again!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
JohnMarcson said:
A 3 prong flasher has one connector for each light and they will alternate.
Be careful what you buy! Not all 3-prong flashers are alike.

• A 537 flasher is a 3-prong alternating flasher.
    A 550 flasher is a 3-prong simultaneous flasher.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
shues said:
Be careful what you buy! Not all 3-prong flashers are alike.

• A 537 flasher is a 3-prong alternating flasher.
    A 550 flasher is a 3-prong simultaneous flasher.

Good point, on some the 3rd prong is a ground or a second light position that still doesn't alternate... although it sounds like he doesn't care if the flash together.

BlackCat

Sep 29, 2010
USA
I picked up a 536 (2 prong) at NAPA for $3.21. State law requires them to flash simultaneously, though they'll be out of sync with my tail lamps I guess.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
BlackCat said:
I picked up a 536 (2 prong) at NAPA for $3.21. State law requires them to flash simultaneously, though they'll be out of sync with my tail lamps I guess.

Yeah, they would be out of synch but it should work fine.

BlackCat

Sep 29, 2010
USA
I got my lights installed, they're not terribly bright in the daylight, just waiting for it to get dark here now. I think they stick out fairly well anyway since they're somewhere you don't normally see lights and with a Code 3 LSS222 LED beacon I shouldn't have to worry too much about getting ran into.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make them flash faster?

On lots of cars when a signal lamp is blown the other one blinks twice as fast and alerts you.

Might this be possible to replicate?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.