Hands Free/ Horn Ring wiring questions

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
My Smart Siren Platinum (3000)is all hooked up. Using the horn ring input to activate sweep function.
I have a 2016 2500HD (same wiring as a Tahoe and Silverado 1500)
I have the horn wire cut between the bcm and the horn relay under the hood. (I’m on the harness exiting the bcm and not incoming so I shouldn’t have problems). It’s working as it should with the exception of the intermittent horn sounding depending on if I’m activating sweep mode or if I’m in my programmed slider position one with manual. When no slider or siren buttons are activated my horn works as it should.

It’s inconsistent but when hitting my horn ring every now and again I’ll have my horn sound along with the activation of the siren. This is not always consistent and in the manual mode (when my wail is not activated) I usually won’t have the horn activate too.

The instructions in the SSP manual say to use an spst relay if your horn ring will exceed 5amps otherwise if you have a newer vehicle with a horn relay already present just cut the horn wire in the two locations. Most spst relays are 30amps (instructions just call for a spst relay no specifics as to what size). Not sure how this plays in?
The instructions specify how to hook up the spst relay to the wiring and the vehicle in regards to having a vehicle that does not have a compatible horn switching system. Will following this solve my horn sounding every now and again During siren use or should I be barking up a different tree?

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Anyone have any guidance before I try and tackle this? I’ve got both a spst (4 outlet) and spdt (5 outlet). I’m assuming I’m going to have to take my seat out again to access my amp and run a wire from the relay to a “horn/siren/button”. Thank god I have one extra button on my controller if that’s the case.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The 5A limitation means you don't want the entire horn operating current running through the SSP3000. If you tapped into the horn circuit before the factory relay, you should be OK, with no need to add an additional relay.

As for troubleshooting the intermittent horn issue, make sure the white and white/yellow wires are oriented correctly and Active-Low or Active-High is set correctly for the horn circuit. If that doesn't work, I'd try tapping the circuit between the horn switch and the BCM, instead of between the BCM and relay.

Reactions: ALEX516

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Yes sir that is correct Currently wire is cut between the bcm and the relay. I’ll double check I’m pretty sure my orientation with the wires and I’ll double check that tonight.

Now that you say that it may be the issue if the horn switch it talking to the bcm uninterrupted and the signal is being processed through the bcm and not being intercepted until after maybe the bcm is using some other means of still activating the horn relay while the brown white out of the bcm is passing through the smart siren.

I’ll try it and give it a shot.
Thanks for the help so far I’ll report back

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
So I forgot to mention when I installed this that I did reference both the body builder manuals for both Silverado SSV and the Tahoe SSV. Both indicate that the factory provisioned loop for hands free is made to the brown white wire (same place I made my connection between bcm connector x5 and the fuse/relay box). The Silverado SSV bodybuilder manual ommited the entire circuit diagram between the horn switch and BCM. The Tahoe manual included it but specifically has an arrow draw to the circuit between the BCM and horn switch with the note “BCM to horn circuit shown for information purposes only, do not make horn-siren connection between bcm and horn” so I made the connection in the same spot Chevy puts the extra loop.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
I know this would be extra work. But if you re splice the wire you cut and go out to the horns under the hood loop in to those wires and install with a relay it may eliminate your problem

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
So I forgot to mention when I installed this that I did reference both the body builder manuals for both Silverado SSV and the Tahoe SSV. Both indicate that the factory provisioned loop for hands free is made to the brown white wire (same place I made my connection between bcm connector x5 and the fuse/relay box).

In that case, it sounds like you did everything right, and you can ignore my suggestion above. The other possibility is a fault in the SSP3000. If you got it used, a previous user might have overloaded the horn transfer circuit and caused a sticking relay.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
That could be. It did come used. When the horn activates the hands free is still cycling And performing as it should. If I understand correctly are you saying a sticking relay in the amp would just cause a small fraction of a second delay or just enough juice to squeak through to activate the factory horn as well?

Carguy are you referencing putting a relay in front of the horn relay between the horn speakers and the relay or just further down the line on the same wire except in the engine bay closer to the fuse box/relay center but still between the bcm and fuse/relay center box?

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
Carguy are you referencing putting a relay in front of the horn relay between the horn speakers and the relay or just further down the line on the same wire except in the engine bay closer to the fuse box/relay center but still between the bcm and fuse/relay center box?
[/QUOTE]

Yes go right to the horn wire in grill disconnect it and wire the relay there just to see if elevates any issues with bcm or factory relay. It would be the same as wiring after the factory relay.
Just a thought

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.