Hardwiring Whelen Mini-Justice

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Somewhat inadvertently purchased a Whelen Mini Justice this evening (long story), and so I will hopefully be putting it into service on my POV shortly after it arrives.

It is the magnet mount version with a cigarette plug. Ideally I’d like to hardwire it into my Feniex Typhoon Handheld controller, but the instructions I can find online only reference the seven wire permanent mount wiring harness.

Can anyone help me have an idea what I’d be looking at to hardwire it into my Typhoon? Is it just three wires for power, ground, and pattern? Or is there a dedicated constant hot wire? What’s the amperage draw to fuse it at?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I'm assuming you'll be taking the magnets off and permanently installing it as well?

If so you won't need to run a full chord down to your switch box. You'd ground it to the roof, then run your power and flash wire down to the controller... Whatever it's fused at now is what you'd need for the controller

Last edited:

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I'll actually probably be leaving the magnets in place, but that's a different story.

The root of my question came from the fact that the Typhoon Handheld is only rated for 3.5a on each of its outputs. I just sent an email to Whelen support, and got a lightning fast response that the current draw for the mini justice is 5amps.

Fortunately, the Feniex Apollo Mini-X lightbar that is installed now sort of functions as its own relay: there's an unswitched power wire that I have fused to the battery, and then two trigger wires to turn on each of the modes. Unfortunately, the other question I had was also answered by the Whelen person who emailed me, and there is NOT a dedicated power wire like in the Feniex bar, so I'll have to go about wiring in a relay.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.