Has anyone ever done this?

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Here's my idea: Take one of those sunroof tinted vent visors, and mount a light stick inside facing forward, (something like a TIR microman or similar), seems like the TIR would punch through the tint and it would be a pretty hidden lightbar. Of course this would probably only work on vehicles with sunroof/moonroof(s), as otherwise it would look weird. What do you think?

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_411heGmqX3L._SL500_.jpg

at1_gstatic_com_images_e0b6eeed5140a87ffc5e10a3e9ab140b._.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I've thought about it a lot, but pretty much anything that will fit up there will also fit above my RVM so I just never did it. Plus don't want to run the risk of messing up the seal

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I did this on a friends porsche, the lights were really dim and we said forget about and sold it and bought him a dual avenger and mounted it on the headliner. But his was really dark almost more black plastic than anything else, but if yours is light enough i think it would be epic!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
They make clear ones also... Maybe get a clear one and some NightShades and do a couple of coats for a "Lighter" tint effect...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
TritonBoulder47 said:
They make clear ones also... Maybe get a clear one and some NightShades and do a couple of coats for a "Lighter" tint effect...
Lighter tint where the LED's will be shining through, and darker everywhere else, to make the light housing outline less visible..

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I meant your nightshade stuff- but I guess tint would work as well..

:lol:

I neeed sleep. (don't mind me)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I knew what ya meant... 2-3 coats for where the LEDs will shine through, then more for the other areas...

Yes, sleep would be nice... LoL :lol:

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Yes. In NY its very common . A lot of times ppl buy this moonfoof just to put LED's in them for the stealth look. Most times they cut out the moonroof for the leds. Even with the cutout you cant tell there are lights . If you cut use single heads not a strip. Im not sure how bright it will be to go through the tint.

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
I once saw this on a FF who had a pathfinder. It was a cool idea, but the LED's didn't punch through the plastic well.

May 22, 2010
New York City
i have been doing installs like this for over 5 years, but what i do is make a cut out for the lights, usually tir3 or lin3 .....

its stealth, but then again its not a unmarked police car we are talking about.....

i usually do it on honda odyssey mini vans, with VAS plates... :lol:

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
RickLBZ said:
Take your sunroof visor, turn it around and mount lights facing out. Thats pretty much what it looks like in the front.

Ya but its the full width of the wind shield, just to clarify. O and they are UGLY!

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I've seen too many LEDs try to punch through tint, either behind glass or some type of plastic object like that, and it's never performed well at all. Why waste the money and time if something isn't gonna perform well?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.