Have fog lights turn off when HLF comes on??

May 21, 2010
Bolingbrook Illinois
Have a 2005 F-150. When my HLF is on, it altenates the HL but flashes the fog lights also. How can I isolate the fog lights so that they do not flash with the HLF? I want them to deactivate when the HLF is on. Any wiring guru's have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

John

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
All you can do is turn off your fog lights. I have an Explorer and if the headlights and foglights are on when the HLF is activated it alternates them. If the headlights and folglights are off it only alternates the headlights.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
pulltotheright said:
But when you activate the Hi beams, the fog lights deactivate. That what I'm looking to have it do. Only with the HLF as well as when I turn on my Hi beams.

John

You can wire your fog lights through a set of Normally Closed 30/40a relays, and trigger them with your flasher trigger.

When you turn your flasher on, the relays will open and deactviate the fog lamps. To simplify the install, I recommend a Kussmaul relay board:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.kussmaul.com/091-32-029.jpg

Use model # 091-32-029P-12

May 21, 2010
Bolingbrook Illinois
cajunblitz said:
You can wire your fog lights through a set of Normally Closed 30/40a relays, and trigger them with your flasher trigger.

When you turn your flasher on, the relays will open and deactviate the fog lamps. To simplify the install, I recommend a Kussmaul relay board:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.kussmaul.com/091-32-029.jpg

Use model # 091-32-029P-12

THANKS!!! Cajun. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again,

John

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yes, but I was asking with which headlight does the fog lights turn off with. Obviously it's one headlight as the headlights wouldn't wig wag if it was both. Just like your instrument panel when the high beam indicator comes on only when a certain headlight comes on. If it's just one headlight, he can isolate the backflow and prevent the fog lights from turning off. My guess is it's the driver's side.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
You can use a 6 amp diode to restrict the power flow back to the fog light(s).

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Just turn the fog lights off. An Expedition we have does the same thing w/ the HLF flasher on. When I drive it and flip on the HLF, I turn the fog lights off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.