Have you ever wondered what happens to old border patrol equipment?

May 10, 2012
New England
Not sure where that was shot, but I am a supervisor for such an agency, and I have never heard of us destroying equipment removed from vehicles. I have a role in fleet management for my employees only, however have attended training and talked to people with a broader role in what happens to our fleet.

From what I know, local public safety agencies get first dibs on equipment, then Red Cross and similar disaster relief nonprofits, and finally the remnants are palletized and shrinkwrapped and sent to auction. The state sometimes obtains, for example, huge amounts of lights but only need parts of the systems, so the remaining items end up at the state surplus property office for public sale (with federal markings intact, in many cases).

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'd like to know the answer. According to the video, a lot of tax dollars are being thrown out. (Sure, videos can be edited to bolster your agenda, but someone had access to those cars and wrote on the glass. If a hoax - congrats, it's a good one! On the other hand, there are no remnants of the green stripe graphics, so... ???)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
There is a car auction place here in San Antonio that sells the CBP vehicles, they have pallets full of lightbars, cages, consoles, sirens and speakers that they have to destroy. I almost cried when I stopped by to meet a fellow officer who works the auctions.

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
There's currently an auction for several police motorcycles, a hummer h2, & a "1990 Chevy Batmobile" (that's what it says....) & nice F350 Dually p/u on public surplus auctions right now. The city of Albuquerque NM says all items must be destroyed in the presence of police?!?' No parts are allowed to be used either. I want to know what the Batmobile looks like!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.