Haven't posted in a while, here is what I am working on

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Have been doing some buying/selling/trading and figured I should post some updates.

I got this Dual-Comm from member bkulibert. Initial power up, only one rotator was working, and the domes were shot. I already had replacement domes, so that was an easy fix. Reconnected the power wire on the second rotator and installed a new Signal-Stat 537 flasher and it works well enough for a video and to go in to the collection. The grill on it does not have any speaker holes cut out, and it is apparent from the inside that a speaker was never installed. If anyone has leads on a new Signal-Stat Dual Comm label for the front of the bar, let me know!
IMG_20190102_184344513.jpg
IMG_20190103_113531432.jpg
IMG_20190103_114248799.jpg

The pale amber dome appears to be a clear dome that someone either painted or put a cheap film on. It is peeling off, so I may have a salvageable clear dome. Any tips to ease that process would be appreciated, as scraping it will be a pain
IMG_20190103_115052337.jpg
IMG_20190103_115514181.jpg

Reactions: lotsofbars and jph2

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
The other projects include adding to this Whelen Delta as well as this working on this Aerodynic. The Delta will be getting front TD, flashers, and an opticom as well as rear arrow.

The Aerodynic currently isn't rotating. It has 3 geared rotators per side, front/rear flashers, and alley lights with the cutout inserts.

IMG_20190102_184357801.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I've been waaay to busy lately with other things to work on anything. Might be awhile before I put stuff out again.

As for the peeling dome.. can you just peel it off? Goo-Gone might help.. not sure though as I always ended up wet-sanding when I came across painted domes.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
As for the peeling dome.. can you just peel it off? Goo-Gone might help.. not sure though as I always ended up wet-sanding when I came across painted domes.

It won't peel like you would imagine a sticker would. I can get a razor under it little by little before that section breaks off due to it being so brittle. I may have to just wet stand to speed the process up

Try using a hair drier (not as hot as a heat gun) to soften the tint. I saw an episode on Motor Trend Network where the mechanic removed old window tinting by spraying it with water and taping a black garbage bag over it and left it in the sun. After an hour, it pealed right off. I wouldn't recommend that for the dome though.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Try using a hair drier (not as hot as a heat gun) to soften the tint. I saw an episode on Motor Trend Network where the mechanic removed old window tinting by spraying it with water and taping a black garbage bag over it and left it in the sun. After an hour, it pealed right off. I wouldn't recommend that for the dome though.
Well, tried the hair dryer. Didn't budge at all. Began wetsanding by hand with 80grit and that seems to be taking it off, albeit very painstakingly slowly. The amber color itself went away right away, but it is still evident that the film layer itself is there yet. I think with time, patience, and much effort though I will be able to get it removed and back to clear. We will see how well it polishes up.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Awesome light. Westmont IL FD first box ambulance had that light on the roof of the box with mars bar with twin chrome speakers and s 888 mounted on the roof of the Ford F series Truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.