HAW/LAW placement

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
fier23 said:
Here's a U.S. Marshal vehicle we did. No pics and it was a pain due to the double layer of the new headlights. But it worked out great.

The HAWs look good, but for the love of god what is going on with those grill lights?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
foxtrot5 said:
The HAWs look good, but for the love of god what is going on with those grill lights?

That would be called 'SPLIT FAIL' :puke:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
rwo978 said:
That would be called 'SPLIT FAIL' :puke:

But it's not even your typical split-fail... I think they call that particular pattern "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle... yeah" and each light head seems to be "wiggling" totally independent of the other. :sadcry:

fier23

Feb 26, 2012
Kansas City MO
foxtrot5 said:

This was a video before we set the patterns of all the R/B lights. I was laughing as it did look pretty ridiculous.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
fier23 said:
This was a video before we set the patterns of all the R/B lights. I was laughing as it did look pretty ridiculous.

Okay, that makes me feel much better.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
I'm putting LAWs in my 2012 F150 tail lights. Does anyone know which side of the actual housing the light should go in? It's a Cannon. aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_15_evu6uvyj.jpg

The holes in the pic are for the OEM lights. No holes have been drilled yet.

Got it, not as easy as expected!

Last edited by a moderator:

JCS

Feb 10, 2013
Iowa
What color are your cannons?

If red, you can use the tail lamps for them, if they're ANY other color, including red you can use the reverse lens spot.

For tail lamps:

evu6uvyj TAIL.jpg

or reverse lamp:

evu6uvyj REV.jpg

medic75

Mar 30, 2014
NW Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried this location for late-model F150 headlights. It appears to be quite effective, but I realize that cameras often make lights look brighter than they are.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
medic75 said:
Has anyone tried this location for late-model F150 headlights. It appears to be quite effective, but I realize that cameras often make lights look brighter than they are.

Don't do the headlights........ ever. Many cars today have DRLs, which will suck the performance right out anything. Same thing with night time and the headlights on... On one of our PD Expeditions, we have them in that area........ they suck. The housing is waaaaaaaaaay to big.

The turn signal on those work much better.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
medic75 said:

Some laws have issues there. The heat coming off those bulbs is in excess of 250 degrees in that housing. Over the long term this will shorten the life of the hide a way. Seen two different brands start to get deformed.

KC9QNN

Dec 4, 2010
USA Wisconsin
2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude tail light location (Where the Vertex is installed is the bottom of the tail light which was empty to start with) I was going to put it in the clear area where it was empty as well but looking at it the backup lamp area is large and connected so since the Vertex is red it went into the empty red area.

Yes I did get my feet in the picture....Sorry....

Here is a crappy picture of rear of my Jeep.  Lights are not wired up yet still working on install as time allows.

ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u111_The_Bear121_2014_06_26095618_zps44182b94.jpg

ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u111_The_Bear121_2014_08_12145523_zpsd0ab624e.jpg

ai166.photobucket.com_albums_u111_The_Bear121_2014_08_12145423_zps7414de31.jpg

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Why didn't you put it right in the middle where the bulb would have gone? The 'sweet' spot for the reflector, so the best performance.

Reactions: Skippy

KC9QNN

Dec 4, 2010
USA Wisconsin
It crossed my mind to put it there but I went off to the side for some reason, this is my first time installing these in a vehicle and I wasn't sure how that would work once I made the hole.  But it did cross my mind.  I am going to have a traffic director in the rear window of the Jeep so I just wanted to get some lower level warning lights to the rear of the Jeep.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Front or Rear?

I just did the rear lights. The tail lights are easy. They have a giant flat spot right around the focal point of the lense. The trunk lid is more tricky. If you take the reverse light housing out you can get on into the clear void above it. Cut away the grey housing and drill the reflector. Line it up good its close.

Here is a clip

http://youtu.be/WoTFRyaRF-k

Both

Reposting from the old board.

Grommet mount strobe tube HAW in front turn signal reflector. Gives great throw to the side for intersection warning. Can be drilled without having to remove the light housing from the vehicle. Use a vacuum to suck out any shavings but be careful not to push out the diffuser in the lens if you stick anything inside the hole to try and remove shavings. I sealed mine with clear silicone around the grommet and have had zero moisture problems even after DEEP water crossings, winter snow, etc.

CSP660 power supply with Sirennet tubes and cables controlled by Whelen Cencom Gold

Any info on this set up? Im loving the mount.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
The ultamate goal is to place the HAW or LAW in a spot not well seen, but the light head utilizes the full effect of the reflective surface provided.  I have seen some  installs that don't use the full effective reflection area provided  and end up resembling the look simaler to somthing out of a JC Whitney catalog or an auto parts store.. ;)

BTW great info and pics ! :thumbsup:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
yes it would... red HAW's just aren't that great

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Need a opinion on cannon placement in my reverse cavity on a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Options are bottom of the cavity pointing up into the housing or the inside wall pointing at the original bulb.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 14

yohshua

Aug 31, 2013
NYC
just wanted to throw this into the mix this is what i found to be good placement for haw on my 05 tahoe front.
the unused space on the corner, this give you great side coverage. pair of sos undercovers
ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a260_yohshua_tahoe_20160826_124337.jpg
ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a260_yohshua_tahoe_20160828_151710.jpg

next the drl housing im using a pair of feniex fairy so the top down mount works for me.
ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a260_yohshua_tahoe_20160828_151452.jpg

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
This is for the 1997-2003 Ford F-Series. My truck is a 1999.

Here is where I mounted the strobe in the corner lamp
IMG_3873.JPG

Here is where I mounted the strobe in the taillight.
IMG_3874.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.