Headlight flasher with dual color cannons

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I want to hook up a headlight flasher to my fog lights on my f150. I was wondering if i put red/white cannons in the fog light housings if I could steady them on white with my fog lights?(I can do that part) Second is flash white when the fog light is flashing in warning mode. Third is flash red when the fog light/white cannon is off.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
with the cannons having 3 modes, I'd say yes to your question(s). It depends on what you want to be the primary / override. So if you want your fog lights (steady white) to override the warning modes, then just make that mode 1 (or mode 3, whichever overrides the rest i dont remember off the top of my head). You'll need two separate trigger wires though to accomplish flashing only the white or red. Mode 2 can be set to flash only white then mode 3 can be set to flash all red. Again, mode 3 might override 2 and 1 I'm not sure of what the order of the modes are but that's what you can do.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
cannons dont like external flashers.. so NOPE. (at least mine didnt)

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
The newer Cannons do not play well with external flashers. Unless you are trying to sync with additional lighting just set a nice alternating pattern for the white and call it a day.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Let me see if I can finish destroying your dream... J/k

If your wanting to put the cannon in with the halogen bulb your risking melting the led with heat from the other light if not vented properly.

I do believe the cannons don't dim when set to steady but a dealer previously stated the light output is horrible for distance for actual driving use.

You'd be better off to replace the stock light with a led meant for that application and then tie it into the flasher and then you'd have to setup an over ride if you don't want the fogs on while headlights are flashing.

Or completely remove stock bulb. Use the cannons but live with diminished output for driving.

Reactions: pzurich

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Not sure why the issue of external flashers was brought up. You can have 3 modes and one mode can be steady color 1, one mode can be flash color 2 and another mode can be a different flash or steady pattern of color 1 or 2 or both. Look at the documentation, it gives you a pretty good idea of the possibities on the multicolor cannons. I see no need for a separate flasher. ON the other hand I am very dubious about the idea of adding them as steady burn white to a fog light that's on. I'm onboard with the heat concern. Also, with a multicolor Cannon, realize you are only getting half the brightness on each color. So you're not going to add a ton of light to a light that already exists and is already optimally placed for the housing. I agree with the prior poster's idea to just upgrade the fog light itself if you want brighter white, use a flasher if you need to. Put the red cannon in a clear lens front facing turn signal or behind some other clear-housing lens that isn't blasting white light and fighting with your Cannon. From what I've seen they are really good at adding warning functionality to backup lights, turn signal housings, brake lights etc. Fog lights I'm not convinced it's the best idea. If nothing else comes up you can just get the bezels from Feniex and mount them to the grille, brush guard, bumper, or whatever else suits you, to get the extra red/white you want. If you do that and they are forward facing pay close attention to the angle they're mounted at, where you want the light to go, and factor that in to whether you get the 120's or the 360's. You'll get radically different results depending.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Also, "flash red when the fog light is OFF" is going to be difficult to accomplish from an electrical perspective. The Cannon is set to enable modes when it receives power on one of various wires. I don't remember seeing any way to override modes when a lead is OFF.

Mode 3 overrides mode 2 overrides mode 1, iirc. "RTFM" (in the nicest way possible *g*)

Lastly adding a flashing half-white cannon to a white fog light turned on...I sort of mentioned this before but it may hardly be noticeable. At best it'd be like making them into wigwags that alternate between low beam and high beam. But how much of a difference there will be....you can try it and see, and if you're not happy with it, tear it out and do it differently. Not much harm in experimenting. Other than having drilled out part of your expensive fog light housing :)

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Ok thanks for all the replies. I think i am going to put red led bulbs in my fog lights and wire them into my headlight flasher. I don’t use fog lights anyway and I think that would look good. My whole thing is I have white with high beams so I wanted to make the fogs red. I did that once on another POV. I put red led bulbs in the fog lights and hooked them to a flasher and it looked great. I will make use of the cannons elsewhere!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Also, "flash red when the fog light is OFF" is going to be difficult to accomplish from an electrical perspective. The Cannon is set to enable modes when it receives power on one of various wires. I don't remember seeing any way to override modes when a lead is OFF.

This would be simple to accomplish using a relay.

Reactions: pzurich

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.