Heck of a night last night at the FD

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
So on shift at the FD yesterday for my 24 hour shift. We had a relatively quiet day. Did a couple hours of training and besides that a couple medical calls all day. Well, MOST of the time...what does a quiet day equal? A busy night! Well, that theory played true last night. We got hit for a residential structure fire last night around midnight. My engine was first on scene to a single story wood frame fully involved. Myself and my partner deployed our 2.5" handline to initiate a defensive attack. We were lucky to have a hydrant within walking distance so we only laid 1 section (100 ft) of 5" LDH. So we were out there until about 03:00 hours. My engine was the last unit remaining on scene just providing lighting for our investigators. We were probably 5 minutes away from leaving and heading back home. All packed up and ready for some sleep! Not tonight! We get hit for another residential fire. Caller stated someone threw a object through her window and it exploded and caught her mobile home on fire. We were second due for this and when we arrived there were heavy smoke and flames showing. Myself and my partner were on the RIT line initially and the first due did an interior attack. We eventually went defensive due to sagging roof. Long story short, we're all exhausted. It's now right about 06:00 hours. We're all done, hoses packed up, airpacks refilled and we're ready to go. Think this night is over right? Wrong! My crew and I decided to stop by a gas station for some coffee. While inside getting said coffee, a man comes in and asks us if we saw the truck on fire right down the street? Surely we thought he was joking with us as obviously he could tell we have been up all night. Well, no...he was not joking. We arrived on scene to a pickup truck with involvement in the cab. It was a quick job but just craziness! So that was our crazy night in a nutshell! I put some pics of the first fire below. I don't have any pics of the second house fire or vehicle fire. The pictures were taken by one of our investigators during the initial attack. Enjoy! This house was abandoned by the way.

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_IMG953026_zps6491a369.jpg

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_Picture005_zps25d7f886.jpg

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_Picture004_zpsf73f7efe.jpg

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_Picture003_zps3639309d.jpg

That's me on the right holding the 2.5" waiting for waterai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_Picture002_zpsbf7e907f.jpg

ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_photo_zpsa781f13c.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Been there-done that. First winter in FD in NC we had an ice storm on a Friday afternoon. First call came in about 3:30 PM. Finally made it home on Saturday around noon. OK, just one of those things?? Nope! Exact same thing happened the very next week... on Friday afternoon!!

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
DalmatProd said:
Been there-done that. First winter in FD in NC we had an ice storm on a Friday afternoon. First call came in about 3:30 PM. Finally made it home on Saturday around noon. OK, just one of those things?? Nope! Exact same thing happened the very next week... on Friday afternoon!!

My full time department is a relatively busy department. I've only been there for about a year and a half. The night definitely sucked seeing how it was pretty cold (for Florida). But having a great group to work with who works toward the common goal and keeps free-lancing to a minimum makes it for a smooth operation!

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Where are you located? I'm in NE Broward County, outside of Ft. Lauderdale.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
There serious was talk of your trucks getting stop sticked before you got there....

That house is not really abandoned... It's just not lived in.

It's commonly used for narcotics.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
RES347CUE said:
Looks like a deck gun operation

It was used for a bit.

DalmatProd said:
Where are you located? I'm in NE Broward County, outside of Ft. Lauderdale.

Im in central Polk County.

FEVER said:
There serious was talk of your trucks getting stop sticked before you got there....

That house is not really abandoned... It's just not lived in.

It's commonly used for narcotics.

Ya, someone said it looked as though people used the house to do "activities" but that's as far as they told us.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.