Hella HERO hideaway OE bulb replacement. Whelen HALO Reincarnated!

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Just saw these new pieces of flashing goodness and was curious to see if anyone has seen them in person yet. They replace the OE bulb for common vehicles and retain the primary light's function.

What's more nutty is you only pick the OE bulb color you're replacing, not the warning color - because the bulb is programmable to flash in amber/red/blue/white as desired.

Videos:
Overview -
2020 PIU taillight install -

Who wants to take my money and sell 'em here?

Last edited:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
now if they had a foglight option that was tri mode.. lol

Reactions: Skippy

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Seeing how I am using Whelen’s HALO for my 2014 Ram pickup brake/tail/turn currently......I love this as an option.
would have to see more videos, or look for the literature and see the full specs, and capabilities. Promo vids posted above look promising though.

Reactions: TacoMonster

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Seeing how I am using Whelen’s HALO for my 2014 Ram pickup brake/tail/turn currently......I love this as an option.
would have to see more videos, or look for the literature and see the full specs, and capabilities. Promo vids posted above look promising though.
The literature is on their site at the link the OP posted. I'm impressed!

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I have seen that a week ago on some FB pages and thought it 's a pretty neat concept . They are working on another version that is more compatible with other systen such as whelen.

heres what the op had to say

Hey guys got some prototype replacement bulbs in From Hella. They are called the Hella Heros, they are quad color twist lock into factory headlight on a ton of vehicles and they will work with core/carbide with built in load resistors ( to fix hyper flash) They also make basic ones that work with any system. There are a few tiny glitches I'm helping them with. Before you ask I just picked dual color to see the patterns. The last 2 are low power and cruise. What do you guys think?

heres some vids about it

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
OH My God!!! Now if they had ones for crown vics and would do green in that mix as well that would support volunteer firefighters and security.. now I'm gonna spread that around. Also emailed them in hopes of more info and suggested additions.

Last edited:

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
The first time I reviewed this info, I saw nothing about the ability to define and select multiple colors through external wiring. If I could have my white backup bulb also flash blue or amber, I'd definitely be interested.

Reactions: TacoMonster

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
The first time I reviewed this info, I saw nothing about the ability to define and select multiple colors through external wiring. If I could have my white backup bulb also flash blue or amber, I'd definitely be interested.
I believe I saw that it overrides the primary colors being yellow or white depending on where it's installed and will flash whatever color you set as the flashing color.

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
From the INSTALL SHEET:

1602718019314.png

The HERO "bulbs" come in three flavors: red, amber, and clear - to match the color of the OE bulb it's replacing. The OE light function (stop / turn / reverse) will override the warning function. The warning color options are the same on all HEROs:

1602717815801.png

Do these patterns seem similar to any known warning manufacturers?

1602717967747.png

Attachments

• 1602718007840.png
    1602718007840.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 8

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have seen that a week ago on some FB pages and thought it 's a pretty neat concept . They are working on another version that is more compatible with other systen such as whelen.

heres what the op had to say

Hey guys got some prototype replacement bulbs in From Hella. They are called the Hella Heros, they are quad color twist lock into factory headlight on a ton of vehicles and they will work with core/carbide with built in load resistors ( to fix hyper flash) They also make basic ones that work with any system. There are a few tiny glitches I'm helping them with. Before you ask I just picked dual color to see the patterns. The last 2 are low power and cruise. What do you guys think?

heres some vids about it

Nice video at the end of that Instagram post! :cool:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Just got a response back from Michael the project manager from Hella, for those of you who own a crown vic, they use the a4 adapter for the front turn signals and sent me the updated pdf with more vehicles on the list. I inquired about green for security and volunteer firefighters, they are looking at it but haven't come up with a release date yet.

Attachments

• HELLA_HERO_vehicle_overview_October_2020.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: Michael_Sobotka

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
That October update has me nervous since I just ordered four amber lightheads with A3 adaptors... the documentation changed.

Here's what's on the website:
1602859754993.png

and here's the October update @Nolines posted:
1602859768508.png

I emailed them for clarification.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Can someone clarify how many triggers for the warning side? Is it possible to flash red/white and then change to red only and have a cruise mode?

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Can someone clarify how many triggers for the warning side? Is it possible to flash red/white and then change to red only and have a cruise mode?
On the current Version 1 HEROs, you only have one trigger wire, so you have to choose from these 8 color options. R, B, A, W, RB, AW, RW or BW.
HELLA (we) are currently working on a new version (designed for external flashing e.g. Core, Carbide, Blueprint, Pathfinder,....) where you will have four trigger wires, one for each color. R/B/A/W. This will give you full flexibility in colors, brightness (dimming), patterns and modes.
These will be market ready beginning of January 2021.

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
On the current Version 1 HEROs, you only have one trigger wire, so you have to choose from these 8 color options. R, B, A, W, RB, AW, RW or BW.
HELLA (we) are currently working on a new version (designed for external flashing e.g. Core, Carbide, Blueprint, Pathfinder,....) where you will have four trigger wires, one for each color. R/B/A/W. This will give you full flexibility in colors, brightness (dimming), patterns and modes.

Oooo... I might have early adopter regret if that's the case... Do I smell a trade-in program or discount for V1 to V2 upgardes?

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Oooo... I might have early adopter regret if that's the case... Do I smell a trade-in program or discount for V1 to V2 upgardes?
No need to regret anything.
The new version will be added to the Hero range in addition to the V1, they won't replace them. The V2 electronic setup will be completely different, they only come as steady burn, so these have to controlled with a "smart siren".

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area

I was going to post Michael's considerate reply to my e-mail query into this thread, but it seems I wasn't the only person asking those questions.

I can hold off on that part of my install until next CY. w00t!

Reactions: Hoff

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Unfortunately for me I don't run those systems, I'm running blink serial control and everything else is switched independently. Can't afford those systems.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
Just got a response back from Michael the project manager from Hella, for those of you who own a crown vic, they use the a4 adapter for the front turn signals and sent me the updated pdf with more vehicles on the list.
The hella crown vic overview is incorrect "It would be the correct location for any 97 less but not for any 98 plus as it was moved into the headlight housing .

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Yes I know that but he didn't make the picture up so I'll just blame the graphics dept for that, but it makes me want to look at that connection as well just to be safe.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Unfortunately for me I don't run those systems, I'm running blink serial control and everything else is switched independently. Can't afford those systems.
Independent flasher unit(s) for each color? I may wind up having to use two, one on amber one on blue.

Reactions: Jarred J.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
Independent flasher unit(s) for each color? I may wind up having to use two, one on amber one on blue.
If you either use amber or blue at once you can use a relay with one module instead of two .
Run the output of the flasher module to pin 30 of the relay and use pin 87a for the amber mode and 87 for the blue mode. You only need a seperate switch to trigger the relay pin 86to switch from amber to blue .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango7

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
These seem alot like the whelen/Ford wigwag leds they did for the explorer and tourus police vehicles its definitely worth a look into these for sure

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Sorry to bump an old thread, just curious, anyone installed any of these yet? I’m looking to get some for my Taurus but it looks like they don’t offer a vehicle adapter for it

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Just cause you ask I'll stop by my local dealer who sells them and see if they have done any installs on the taurus, what year is yours so I can be specific?

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I dont know why whelen stopped making their version the police interceptor wigwag modules are a great example of how these work crazy bright I can see the halo modules getting popular fast since all you need is a clip on caller to put it in your light and the appropriate wireing of corse lol

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Ok I asked my local dealer installer, he advised me that they don't have anything I installed on taurses, hella doesn't make an adapter, it's a different setup. Also they're probably not making a green or purple hella either whoever the guy is that owns the pantens to it is refusing to he says there's no money to be made and they're not going to make a separate line for that since it would raise up the cost of the original lines they're not interested that's a b****

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Its really odd that they won't touch the taurus but then again whelen makes the factory option ones but they are only white strobe amber turn signal would be great to see more callers made to fit other vehicle brands like Toyota, hyundai/kia, Honda, Mazda, Nissan among others these halo heads would have a huge market in the under cover vehicle market and POV market no drill hideaways would be a great thing

Reactions: Jarred J.

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Sorry to bump an old thread, just curious, anyone installed any of these yet? I’m looking to get some for my Taurus but it looks like they don’t offer a vehicle adapter for it
Its really odd that they won't touch the taurus but then again whelen makes the factory option ones but they are only white strobe amber turn signal would be great to see more callers made to fit other vehicle brands like Toyota, hyundai/kia, Honda, Mazda, Nissan among others these halo heads would have a huge market in the under cover vehicle market and POV market no drill hideaways would be a great thing
Thats a shame, was really looking for a park/turn/warn system for my taurus and trying not to spend an arm and a leg on the Whelen versions

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Don't let them saying its not made specifically for your car for example if a head fits the ford crown vic it will fit 99% of fords and a good number of dodges have a look at your stock bulb socket and find the closest adapter ring for the halo head trim the tabs if needed (I made the ford whelen modules fit in a hyundai lol) never let a manufacturer say its unique to what ever take it as a challenge and prove them wrong :)

Reactions: Nolines

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
Don't let them saying its not made specifically for your car for example if a head fits the ford crown vic it will fit 99% of fords and a good number of dodges have a look at your stock bulb socket and find the closest adapter ring for the halo head trim the tabs if needed (I made the ford whelen modules fit in a hyundai lol) never let a manufacturer say its unique to what ever take it as a challenge and prove them wrong :)
For sure, worst case scenario I return them. Any idea of where i can pick some up at?

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I dont know ware to buy the hella halo heads but I purchased my Ford modules off here keep an eye on here as well as ebay and other for sale pages even search for the headlights themselves thats ware you'll likely get a set of the ford units as for the flasher any LED flasher will do I use a whelen ULF22 for mine it works great now I did need to run a 5 pin relay on the negative side of each head for the flasher negative and turn signal negative or they would steady burn but the taurus is ECM controlled vs electronic flasher relay so you may not need to you will however need resistors for the turn signal to prevent hyper flashing

It might seem like alot but its not too bad (if your car is already a police interceptor model you can get your Ford dealer to program for the leds (did that for an ex police car that had a module get damaged in a collision at over 400 CAD each they would have written off the car so ya lol)

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
For sure, worst case scenario I return them. Any idea of where i can pick some up at?
I use Strobesrus.com in pompano beach florida, I think he said they run about $140.00 for the pair... Maybe a lil more I'm not sure if that's with the adapters or without...

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
I would say thats with the adaptor rings as well (can't really do nothing without the rings lol)
Yeah, price is fine but I’m trying to figure out which adapter ring will work, might just end up coughing up the money for the Whelens but i can’t find them anywhere

Nick7071

Feb 13, 2018
Michigan, US
The whelens took a long time for me to find myself you might have much better luck with the hella halos
Found a pair, guy wants $150 for both so I think Ill scoop those up, will any Whelen universal flasher work with these like a ULF44 or do I need the a specific one

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Any flasher is fine on the heads the white strobe part is the white and black going into a 1 pin connector typical whelen fashion white is positive black is negative turn signal is yellow park is brown and negative is black on the 3 pin

I use a standard ULF22 flasher im sure your ULF44 will be just fine

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.