Hella HERO hideaway OE bulb replacement. Whelen HALO Reincarnated!

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Update: the HERO with the A3 adaptor for the 16-19 Explorer does NOT fit as indicated in the literature. The light module protrudes too far outside the back of the taillamp assembly and the taillight assembly can't be fully re-attached. Also, with only 3 warning LEDs per color, the daytime output is disappointing. I'm thinking Feniex Cannons can do a better job for a lot less money - but with more effort to install.. Awaiting a response from Hella to see if they have a magic wand for this issue.

If you don't have ample clearance behind the OEM bulb you're wanting to replace, forget it.

Reactions: sean_quish

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Sounds like the heads aren't as strong an output as the expected i know the whelen ford modules are really bright maybe hella needs to have a closer look at test fitting them fully installed on a vehicle the adapter ring might fit the housing but if it won't fit in the vehicle its useless maybe whelen should get back into making modules like this again and offering a similar replaceable ring for locking it in but reflector focal depth is also a big factor

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
sad to hear that the output is not up to the task

Reactions: cabunty

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I wish he had a day light video so we could see how they perform
The hella hero lights seem to be very illusive when it comes to info, and videos and pics and same for pictures of what the thing even looks like at least the ford whelen modules theres pictures of what the things look like lol

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Has anyone heard anymore on V2 being released? Mid January now and cant seem to find any info or even "news" on Hella's website about V2 coming soon...
Hello all,

Michael from Hella here.

Our Hero Gen.2 (Flex series) field test, we did back in November 2020, went almost perfect. There was just one little issue with a signal backfeed at one of the test vehicles. We could have launched this status, but Hella strives for excellence and we want to stand 100% behind our products. This electronic rework loop cost us about 2 months.
The final version had been tested in the meantime and everything worked perfect.
So, we were able to kick off the sourcing and production process.
--> New launch date for the Hero Flex Series is End of March 2021.
I'm personally working on the new literature right now and I will share it within this chat group in a couple of weeks.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate contacting me directly via Email.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

Hella Hero Project Manager
m.sobotka@external.hella.com

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Hello all,

Michael from Hella here.

Our Hero Gen.2 (Flex series) field test, we did back in November 2020, went almost perfect. There was just one little issue with a signal backfeed at one of the test vehicles. We could have launched this status, but Hella strives for excellence and we want to stand 100% behind our products. This electronic rework loop cost us about 2 months.
The final version had been tested in the meantime and everything worked perfect.
So, we were able to kick off the sourcing and production process.
--> New launch date for the Hero Flex Series is End of March 2021.
I'm personally working on the new literature right now and I will share it within this chat group in a couple of weeks.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate contacting me directly via Email.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Michael_Sobotka

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Update: the HERO with the A3 adaptor for the 16-19 Explorer does NOT fit as indicated in the literature. The light module protrudes too far outside the back of the taillamp assembly and the taillight assembly can't be fully re-attached. Also, with only 3 warning LEDs per color, the daytime output is disappointing. I'm thinking Feniex Cannons can do a better job for a lot less money - but with more effort to install.. Awaiting a response from Hella to see if they have a magic wand for this issue.

If you don't have ample clearance behind the OEM bulb you're wanting to replace, forget it.
@laley210:
I've heard from your install issues and I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to get them "squeezed" into the 2016-19 Explorer rear light.
When we tested our Hero's on those vehicles we had similar experience, it was tight, but we were able to get the rear light back on there. But, I agree it was very tight.

Regarding the brightness:
The general feedback we received so far was actually pretty good and people told us, that the Hero's outperformed the Whelen Vertex or Feniex Cannon. The Hero's might look less bright when you compare them on the workbench next to each other, but you should see a difference once installed in the vehicle. Hero's innovative install concept has been designed to place them at the exact same spot as the OEM bulb, directly in the focal point of the head-/taillight's reflector.
--> That way Hero's LEDs illuminate the whole reflector and generate a very bright and intense light output.

Please find a video from an upfitter who installed our Hero's in a Chevy Traverse. The video has been filmed at daylight conditions.

I will reach out to my installers and try to get a 1-to-1 comparison of our Hero's with competitor products. I will share them within this group.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
The hella hero lights seem to be very illusive when it comes to info, and videos and pics and same for pictures of what the thing even looks like at least the ford whelen modules theres pictures of what the things look like lol
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We know that there is room for improvement when it comes to info, pics and videos.

Since our launch in March 2020 there were a lot of things happening. Besides the Covid-19 crisis, we put a lot of time into the continuous expandation of our adapter range, field tests and of course the development of the new Hero Flex series.

I try to be very close to the market, get feedback and share information within groups like this. There are already a couple of installers out there who posted Hero reviews and shared install videos on Social Media.

To get a better idea of the Hero's and the install process please watch the video below.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

Reactions: 50theman

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Also confirm please michael that we got screwed on the green hellas...
If you mean green Hella Heros, yes. Sorry. The market was pushing for the Flex Series, so this had a higher priority and took quite some time. But I will definitely put it on my to do list for upcoming range extension projects. I think there is also a market for those. I see more and more videos of vehicles equipped with green LED strobes.

Best regards
Michael

• Sad
Reactions: Tony P and Nolines

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
If you mean green Hella Heros, yes. Sorry. The market was pushing for the Flex Series, so this had a higher priority and took quite some time. But I will definitely put it on my to do list for upcoming range extension projects. I think there is also a market for those. I see more and more videos of vehicles equipped with green LED strobes.

Best regards
Michael
For what it's worth, Texas just took away blue altogether and mandated green, amber or white warning lights for licensed security officers to differentiate them from law enforcement - so the market is growing. Most security companies ran all blue or blue amber and are switching to green or green/amber. (TX Transportation Code 547.305)

Reactions: Tony P and Nolines

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We know that there is room for improvement when it comes to info, pics and videos.

Since our launch in March 2020 there were a lot of things happening. Besides the Covid-19 crisis, we put a lot of time into the continuous expandation of our adapter range, field tests and of course the development of the new Hero Flex series.

I try to be very close to the market, get feedback and share information within groups like this. There are already a couple of installers out there who posted Hero reviews and shared install videos on Social Media.

To get a better idea of the Hero's and the install process please watch the video below.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

I anticipated some early adopter speed bumps, and your dealer (LSH) was fantastic with providing support and suggestions. The 16-19 Explorer reverse lights in the civilian model don't have a perfect solution unless you cut and hot patch or 3M EZ-Fix the light housing for a pop-in or screw-in HAW.

Yes - I agree, focal depth is a big win for the HERO. The front turns are great. After I had everything buttoned up, it dawned on me that the new A8 adapter could have made it work fit wise, but not sure how that would have impacted focal depth. I didn't have time to dissemble the build and figure that out.

I'm looking forward to the external flasher version to sync with other lightheads. It's gonna be slick.

Reactions: Michael_Sobotka

sean_quish

Feb 1, 2012
Richmond,VA
hello @
@laley210:
I've heard from your install issues and I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to get them "squeezed" into the 2016-19 Explorer rear light.
When we tested our Hero's on those vehicles we had similar experience, it was tight, but we were able to get the rear light back on there. But, I agree it was very tight.

Regarding the brightness:
The general feedback we received so far was actually pretty good and people told us, that the Hero's outperformed the Whelen Vertex or Feniex Cannon. The Hero's might look less bright when you compare them on the workbench next to each other, but you should see a difference once installed in the vehicle. Hero's innovative install concept has been designed to place them at the exact same spot as the OEM bulb, directly in the focal point of the head-/taillight's reflector.
--> That way Hero's LEDs illuminate the whole reflector and generate a very bright and intense light output.

Please find a video from an upfitter who installed our Hero's in a Chevy Traverse. The video has been filmed at daylight conditions.

I will reach out to my installers and try to get a 1-to-1 comparison of our Hero's with competitor products. I will share them within this group.

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

Hello Michael. I have the same Chevy traverse and would love to do this in my vehicle can you send me a PM so I can order a pair with adapters for my 2019 Chevy Traverse. Need red/white warning. thanks

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Any chance of adaptors for Ram 1500s soon? Definitely would love these on my truck

Reactions: firebuff17

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
I see you show the A10 adapter for the rear turn bulb for the 2021 Tahoe. Is this the same adapter for the reverse as well?

I'm assuming end of March is still a release date for the V2? I'm quoting out a 2021 civlian Tahoe and debating if I am doing the Pathfinder with V2 or regular light control with V1.

I want to put Hero's in reverse and rear tun bulb.

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Any chance of adaptors for Ram 1500s soon? Definitely would love these on my truck
Right now, our HEROs can't be used on Dodge, due to their electronic. You will get bulb outage warnings on your dashboard and a fast flashing turn signal.
But, we are investigating in a new electronic concept right now to make them work on Dodge as well. Once we finished our field tests and everything works as expected, we will look into the different Dodge vehicles and add fitting adapters to our range.

I will share our test results and HELLAs strategy within this group.

Best regards
Michael from HELLA :)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Right now, our HEROs can't be used on Dodge, due to their electronic. You will get bulb outage warnings on your dashboard and a fast flashing turn signal.
But, we are investigating in a new electronic concept right now to make them work on Dodge as well. Once we finished our field tests and everything works as expected, we will look into the different Dodge vehicles and add fitting adapters to our range.

Best regards

Definitely interested in this for my front turns in my Durango. I have wanted to uipgrade them to LED anyway, and this would be perfect!

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,

Best regards
Any news on the version 2 Heros yet? Do you or will you have adaptors for the newer Colorado reverse lights?

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Hello,

Best regards
Michael Sobotka

How are the version 2 hideaways looking? Release date? Soon?

Thanks!

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
Hello group,

The new HERO Flex series will be available starting next week.

These new HEROs have been designed/optimized for SIREN USE ONLY.
They still are equipped with Red, Blue, Amber and White LEDs. But the Flex series has four individual wires, one for each color (R/B/W/A). The Flex series comes without a built-in flashing controller, every color is “steady burn”. This gives the installers full flexibility when it comes to flash pattern programming or choosing the warning colors. Everything can be controlled/programmed with the software of your external siren. The HERO Flex lightheads have the capability to be operated with a dimmed power input signal. (example: cruise/low light mode)

HELLA part numbers:
  • 358118501 HERO Flex White for Reverse lights
  • 358118511 HERO Flex Amber for Turn lights
  • 358118521 HERO Flex Red for S/T/T lights

If you are interested, please reach out to me via hero.usa@hella.com.

Looking forward hearing from you.
Michael

Project Manager HERO Hideaways
HELLA USA

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Hello group,

They still are equipped with Red, Blue, Amber and White LEDs. But the Flex series has four individual wires, one for each color (R/B/W/A). The Flex series comes without a built-in flashing controller, every color is “steady burn”. This gives the installers full flexibility when it comes to flash pattern programming or choosing the warning colors. Everything can be controlled/programmed with the software of your external siren. The HERO Flex lightheads have the capability to be operated with a dimmed power input signal. (example: cruise/low light mode)

HELLA part numbers:

Michael

HELLA USA
Michael, is there a new website to order the HELLA HERO LEDs or see more info? I didn't have any luck.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
And what do you mean by SIREN USE ONLY? Unless I am mistaken, a siren makes the audible noise projected from a speaker. While usually used in conjunction with lights, they are two distinct and different things...

Are these still going to be made "vehicle specific" rather than bulb size specific? I'm looking for better lighting for a Police Interceptor Sedan.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
And what do you mean by SIREN USE ONLY? Unless I am mistaken, a siren makes the audible noise projected from a speaker. While usually used in conjunction with lights, they are two distinct and different things...

Are these still going to be made "vehicle specific" rather than bulb size specific? I'm looking for better lighting for a Police Interceptor Sedan.
If you read the whole thing, he explains what siren use only means: The Flex series comes without a built-in flashing controller, every color is “steady burn”. This gives the installers full flexibility when it comes to flash pattern programming or choosing the warning colors. Everything can be controlled/programmed with the software of your external siren. The HERO Flex lightheads have the capability to be operated with a dimmed power input signal. (example: cruise/low light mode)

I think it would be better stated as requiring an external flasher, but understand they are trying to market it for the systems such as SoundOff's Blueprint or Whelen's Cantrol/Core/Wecan X etc. that have the ability to control and flash lightheads.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Hello group,

HELLA part numbers:

Michael

HELLA USA
A question on the hero and flex series. With integration into the factory turn signal will these require load resistors to prevent hyper flash when the factory turn signals are activated?

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Hello group,

HELLA part numbers:

Michael

HELLA USA
So are these available yet?

That said next week...which was three weeks ago...

Michael_Sobotka

Oct 16, 2020
Peachtree City, GA
A question on the hero and flex series. With integration into the factory turn signal will these require load resistors to prevent hyper flash when the factory turn signals are activated?
The HEROs come with a built in resistor, that prevents fast flashing or dash board bulb out messages.

So are these available yet?

That said next week...which was three weeks ago...
Yes the HERO Flex is available. We have plenty on stock and are ready to go. :cool:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
We have these things in stock now. Will have them on our site in the next month. In the mean time if you want to order shoot us an email. Josh@jcocorp.com

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.