Hello from NE Ohio! First time Lightbar owner today!

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
Hello, Friends call me Raymond.

I am today joining the ranks of the many of you lightbar owners.

I have been a longtime emergency vehicle enthusiast from police cars to fire trucks with a small dabbling into liking city street equipment to basically anything with flashing lights.

Currently located in Akron Ohio.

I photograph area emergency vehicles in the Northeast Ohio area, If anyone is interested, I could post a link to my Flickr gallery in this topic.

Today with the help of a friend with an car, I was able to go purchase my first lightbar, a Federal Signal Vector(SV-A type). I have long loved the Vector and Vision series after first seeing them in a 1994 movie called The Chase starring Charlie Sheen, This movie introduced me to the Vector lightbar as used by the California Highway Patrol in the movie.

Ever since then, my witnessing of this fantastic lightbar has been limited, My first real world sighting was a Pennsylvania State highway Patrol Crown Vic followed by some Florida Highway Patrol Crown Vics throughout the late 1990's. 

In the early mid 2000's I was blessed to see that my hometown of Cleveland's fire department started using them on their commander vehicles as well as some fire trucks. there would be the occasional sighting every May during police Memorial Week in May at the Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial Parade. these lights were still elusive to me, it was hit or miss to find a community using them on their vehicles around Cleveland throughout the years until my last sighting of one at last years Peace Officers Memorial Parade where there was a California Highway Patrol Camaro in attendance with a vector up top.

This past week I have been searching craigslist under the term "Federal Signal" and found one for sale, a close friend decided to buy it for himself after I showed him the ad and then we drove an hour to get to the sellers place. Then last night, my friend did a search for "vector" and sure enough, there was a cheaper one listed and I just couldnt pass it up.

Again, another hour drive to get there near Cleveland. of course it has its flaws from nearly being exposed to the elements for who knows how long, 2 of the pods had loose dome covers which resulted in rain getting inside the pods and rusting them. I knew it wouldnt be perfect and knew it would most likely need replacement parts. I am confident that Ebay will have all the parts i need over the course of the next few months.

I am very new to working with the insides of electronic stuff but hope to learn enough to restore any lightbar that comes my way.

My plan for my lightbar is to build a shelf over my computer desk and hook it up to a household power outlet which is why I signed up here to help me find what I need to do so.

Even though I have limited space in my apartment, I do wish to add a few more lightbars to my budding collection, such as a Federal Signal Streethawk, Vista, and Arjent SL.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Welcome, Raymond

This is a great place to assist you in enjoying the various aspects of collecting lighting (and photos).

I am called Chief or Terry - Your choice.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hmmmm. if your friends call you raymond... what do you cll yourself?

blacktalon47

Feb 28, 2013
Northeast Ohio
I also love the Vector\Vision Style.

I have been searching for a unicorn for the longest time. Before OSP switched to the all blue Code 3 bars, I saw a Ohio State Highway Patrol White Crown Vic at the Justice Center in downtown Cleveland. It had a Vision SLR. Unfortunately I was driving by in heavy traffic and was unable to snap a picture. I assume this was a test model before they settled on the Code 3. I have been searching for a photo of this car for the longest time.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
OSP used Vectors on (2) Jeep Cherokees that were used on IS480 in the early 90's when they were still on Broadway in Garfield Heights (I worked there then). Those patrol cars were the only OSP cars to have directional arrow bars and push bumpers on them. The Crown Vics had the arrows added to the rear deck. The patrol assigned (2) Jeep Cherokees there to be prepared for the NE winter & lake effect snow. They got Vectors because it allowed the patrol a way to implement a lightbar with a directional arrow all in one.

A Vector was also used on one of the confiscated Chevy Camaro IROC's, that later ended up in the hands of the Ohio Troopers Association. That car was never assigned to Cleveland Post 18 though.

I had not seen a Vector / Vision on a Crown Vic, but the patrol always has a test lightbar in the field somewhere. It's very possible you spotted a light the patrol was testing. Nothing would surprise me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.