Help a federal newbie

53cub

Dec 2, 2018
Virginia
I have lots of 12 volt and strobe light experience but am new to federal signal lights. I got 10 bars for such a steal I couldn't pass them up. But now I'm not sure if I'm missing something or they're not working. I tried one of the Legends LED bars and couldn't get anything to work at all. It had like an 8 gauge red wire, 8 gauge black wire, then 4 sets of twisted wires (8 total, blue and blue/white. Orange and orange/white. Brown and brown/white and I forget the 4th set off my head) the wires are all cut about 5" from the bar and fron what I can tell it seems I may need some type of controller for these?
Next is the vista ricochet the non rotator style, I get the alley lights to work with the orange and the green wires, then got what I believe are the spot lights (two smaller white lights on front) they steady burn or flash side to side. But I can not get any of the upper 8 lights to work or what appears to be the traffic advisory bar on the back to light at all.

Attachments

• 20181201_154725.jpg
    20181201_154725.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 22

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Manuals are available on Fed Sigs website.
Legends should be easy. 12v+ to red 8ga and 12v- to 8ga blk then 12+ to any of the colored/ striped wires.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I do believe sparky is incorrect. Both Legends that I had required a serial interface module to work. Don't start applying 12v first without looking for the manual or you may fry it.

Reactions: Sparky_911

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
That said, I believe Federal did make a few basic Legends that didn't need the module but it's my understanding that the vast majority do need them

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
For the ricochet, the arrow should have its own cable that needs a controller to properly function. I'm not sure on the strobes though.

53cub

Dec 2, 2018
Virginia
That's the same diagram I had found, well guess I'll get into testing the rest of the lights to see what I can merge into full working sets. Thanks

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I do believe sparky is incorrect. Both Legends that I had required a serial interface module to work. Don't start applying 12v first without looking for the manual or you may fry it.

My bad. He's right on that. I think they sometimes call those breakout boxes too. Im thinking of the Whelen LC Freedom bars. Same wiring setup but no serial required.

53cub

Dec 2, 2018
Virginia
That's what I was seeing but hoped I was looking at the wrong thing. Looks like a cat5 cable and the module is needed. I was hoping I'd luck out, to get these working without buying a bunch of parts to find out the lightbars might not work.

Thanks again guys guess I'll start looking for the parts and figure out how deep I want to go into these bars.

53cub

Dec 2, 2018
Virginia
I just found this in assume it's simple match wires. But should there be a plug for input also? Each one I find one has one plug. Once I got a couple minutes I'll be downloading the manual from federal signal also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181203-201032_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20181203-201032_eBay.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10

53cub

Dec 2, 2018
Virginia
So my vista light bars I have 7 of them, all 7 the alley lights work and the lower front spot lights work but nothing else. I'm going to look more into the controller after the holidays because I find it hard to believe all 7 have the same functions working or not working. Thank you again guys for your input

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.