Help an injured officer- Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
On the other board I had posted about a contest from Crate and Barrel trying to get a severely injured Chicago officer a special wedding.

On May 27, 2009 Chicago Police Officer Densey Cole was responding to an emergency call for service when his squad car was hit head on by another vehicle. While Officer Cole was unconscious, the "good" citizens in the area he protected decided this was an opportune time to rob him. By improperly moving him to steal his gun, star, and wallet, they caused him to become paralyzed.

Officer Cole, who was engaged at the time, was in a coma for four weeks. When he finally awoke, he and his fiance were married in the hospital. He was treated at a rehab center in Denver for several months and is now back home where he is making slow but steady progress. Because of his injuries and mounting expenses, he and his wife were unable to have a proper wedding and honeymoon.

Now along comes Crate and Barrel who are having "The Ultimate Wedding Contest". The winner will receive a fully planned wedding and honeymoon valued up to $100,000. Densey's wife Mary registered in this contest and as I write this they are currently in 6th place by votes.

Please help Densey and Mary by giving them a vote using the link below. You will have to register but it takes only a few seconds.

Thanks, and PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

Update - 06.01.10

Well the officer and the couple had the most votes, but ended up getting a $500 gift certificate. The "alternate lifestyle" ones got second prize with $7500

Update info

Thank you to all for helping out. Although they didn't win they appreciate all the help. And a sincere thank you from me, you guys, and gals rock

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/ultimatewedding/default.aspx

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
wtf is that,they said the couple with the most votes would win and turn around and change thier minds.i would love to see the vote counts and someone go after them for false advertising

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
There is already a boycott Crate and Barrel Facebook page with over 200 members. The votes weren't the only factor, but I do know that I'm not going there anymore.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
That is bullshit, they had 21,000 votes, and the others only had 1300. Talked about messed up. Why the hell have a voting system if the people at Crate and Barrel are just going to choose for them selves. Talk about f'ed up. Got a link for that FB page, I will join it.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Wouldn't the BBB or the competition bureau (if you have one in the USA) be interested in shit like this?

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
unlisted said:
Wouldn't the BBB or the competition bureau (if you have one in the USA) be interested in shit like this?
For what reason? The voting rules clearly stated, as I posted on the old topic, that the number of online votes was only 20% of the final process in selecting the winner.

Not to mention the couple was already legally married, which, by the rules was already not acceptable since the rules say they must be engaged to be lawfully married.

Do I think they deserved it? Absolutely. However Crate and Barrel didn't do anything wrong. Things like this work on a basic premise...marketing. The couple that won is very marketable, and will look good in magazines. The gay couple is thrown in second to appease the minorities. The third couple is again, marketable. From a marketing standpoint, a guy in a wheelchair isn't very marketable to the masses.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
fp13-2 said:
From a marketing standpoint, a guy in a wheelchair isn't very marketable to the masses.
Let me get this straight, its "marketable" to be gay, but not disabled?

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
I guess it isnt enough to be a police officer who is injured in the line of duty and then becomes a victim of crime while unconcious and possibly injured further. Like I said they werent "pretty " or gay enough to sell overpriced shitty househould stuff made in China.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
unlisted said:
Let me get this straight, its "marketable" to be gay, but not disabled?
Absolutely. Gay = dual income, typically no children, therefor more disposable income. Disabled = typically no job or limited income.

Now don't take that the wrong way, I'm not stating that all disabled people are like that, but a majority are. So yes, when you're marketing over-priced home items, you go after the groups that are going to have the money to pay for them.

If this was a different company doing it, there is a good chance they might have won it. But as it stands, they didn't. Still, C&B didn't do anything wrong at all. Don't like it, don't shop there. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.