Help Authenticating an FHP JetSonic

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I'm going to start a hunt for an FHP JetSonic and want to make sure I get an authentic one. Would someone who owns one be kind enough to post a pic of the FHP marking (I have no idea if it's stamped like an LAPD Aero, engraved, has an applied label, or what).

Also, are there any other tells to look for beyond the FHP marking and outboard TDs? I believe the model is a JS2 w integrated siren amp (vs commonly assumed JS1), though I'm not 100% sure about that. I assume the 2 is stamped on the model tag (in addition to the siren amp being present)?

Thanks!

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I hate to burst that bubble but south florida FHP jetsonics varied between center and middle takedowns, we didn't have many outboard tds here.

Last edited:

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I hate to burst that bubble but south florida tho keys varied between center and middle takedowns, we didn't have many outboard tds here.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. I've always understood outboard TDs to be a defining feature. Don't think I've ever seen a verifiable pic with another setup (though I've seen it on some reproduction cars). I grew up in Tampa but was born in 1980 so my memory of the FHP JetSonic unfortunstely doesn't extend to details... reliant on pictures and word of mouth.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I guess that whoever installed them may have made changes to where the takedowns were in them by request of the officer, I even worked for a company that had them in the middle between the rotators.

Federalfan

May 12, 2018
Lakeland, Fl
I'm going to start a hunt for an FHP JetSonic and want to make sure I get an authentic one. Would someone who owns one be kind enough to post a pic of the FHP marking (I have no idea if it's stamped like an LAPD Aero, engraved, has an applied label, or what).

Also, are there any other tells to look for beyond the FHP marking and outboard TDs? I believe the model is a JS2 w integrated siren amp (vs commonly assumed JS1), though I'm not 100% sure about that. I assume the 2 is stamped on the model tag (in addition to the siren amp being present)?

Thanks!
Only pic I have. Hope it helps.
20200229_155605.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I've come across many a Jetsonic. I have never seen a JS2 nor one with a Florida asset tag.
I do have a project JS1 currently that has outboard takedowns, but probably not a Florida bar.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@mike M
The JS1 did not have the take down lights as standard as the bar in the video has.

It was the same to the front as the bar is to the rear.

You could, as an option, remove the outer mirrors and install reflector assemblies instead.

These reflectors could then be used as either take down, strobe lights, flashing halogen lights or even as steady on lights if wanted.

Then there where an instruction from Federal how to adjust the rotators so they facing forward when stopped instead of into the outer mirrors so the flashing function would work.

Naturally could the bars be ordered from Federal this way but it was not a standard option.

Personally I think the removing of the outboard mirrors destroy the flashing effect of the JetSonic so I have never rebuilt my JS1 even that I have the strobe kit for this.

Michael

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Will do.
Here is a link with the functions.
Still beautiful, but I have never had one of those where the flashers/takedowns were not in the center by the speaker. And yours show home position on the rear as outward facing, surprised me, and our flashers alternated not flashed together.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Still beautiful, but I have never had one of those where the flashers/takedowns were not in the center by the speaker. And yours show home position on the rear as outward facing, surprised me, and our flashers alternated not flashed together.

While it sounds like there were variations, the standard FHP setup (at least as it is currently understood in the collector and ssp restoration community, and as it appears in the FHP promo material I've seen) did have the TDs on the outside. That was the "unique" (or at least non-standard) part of the FHP Jet.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
@mike M
The JS1 did not have the take down lights as standard as the bar in the video has.

It was the same to the front as the bar is to the rear.

You could, as an option, remove the outer mirrors and install reflector assemblies instead.

These reflectors could then be used as either take down, strobe lights, flashing halogen lights or even as steady on lights if wanted.

Then there where an instruction from Federal how to adjust the rotators so they facing forward when stopped instead of into the outer mirrors so the flashing function would work.

Naturally could the bars be ordered from Federal this way but it was not a standard option.

Personally I think the removing of the outboard mirrors destroy the flashing effect of the JetSonic so I have never rebuilt my JS1 even that I have the strobe kit for this.

Michael

All correct for the JS1 in general but not the FHP Jet

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
While it sounds like there were variations, the standard FHP setup (at least as it is currently understood in the collector and ssp restoration community, and as it appears in the FHP promo material I've seen) did have the TDs on the outside. That was the "unique" (or at least non-standard) part of the FHP Jet.
Well I guess the south florida ones were oddballs then.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I think we talk about the two first generations of JetSonic here.

The bar in this topic is the first generation that was made between 1983 and 1985 that had front light cut-off, pre-programmed rotators that moved to face the outboard mirrors when turned off and could flash simultanious as secondary lights.

In 1985 the second generation came that did not have front light cut-off and therefore did not have the mirror wall between the front and rear.

Instead it had off set rotators so there where two reflectors visible in both directions and outboard mirrors to the front and inboard mirrors to the rear.

This generation had inboard alternating flashing stationary lights to the front but outboard alternating flashing stationary lights to the rear as standard.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.