help bypassing flasher!??

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Hey guys,

I've posted about this before but never found a resolution so i'm trying again. Hoping one of you guru's out there may have the answer. I'm currently updating two of our fire trucks that currently have old gen 1 LED warning lights. My issue is they are on a flasher module. I need constant power instead of the flashing that is currently happening on the power wires. The current wiring going to each light is a red, orange and black. The red and orange both flash and the black is ground. I've cut the orange wire to see if that changed anything and it did not. I don't know what kind of flasher is being used nor do I know where it is as on the truck. Can anyone think of a way I can somehow bypass the flasher without running completely new wire through the whole truck?

The truck is a 2006 E-One with old Federal Signal LEDs.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Can't you call E-One and ask them where that darn flasher is ??
Ya, that's what I plan on trying tomorrow. I was hoping there may be another trick out there that someone may have known so I didn't have to track this thing down. On another truck I did with a external flasher, I was able to cut the black wire (which I assumed to be ground) and put it on it's own ground and it then switched the flashing red wire to a steady burn hot wire. Don't ask me how or why that worked on that one but not on this one, I've got not the slightest clue. Different flasher I'm sure.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
It sounds like if you locate the flasher and take the output wires from the flasher and send them to 12v that would be your feed to each new light head. I would definitely test each wire first before doing it.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
It sounds like if you locate the flasher and take the output wires from the flasher and send them to 12v that would be your feed to each new light head. I would definitely test each wire first before doing it.
Ya, that's easy to do. The hard part is locating the flasher lol. I can't take the whole dash apart to do it, but if its relatively easy to get to I can. I believe the truck has a DOT Federal signal flasher on it from everything I have been able to obtain. It shows it has a single flash 75 FPM option. If I can just switch the flash pattern to that it would work just fine too. I'll see if I can post a short video of what I'm talking about.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Sorry about it being sideways, not sure why. Anyways the bottom rear facing light is the new Tecniq light. All other are still the old Fed Sig LEDs. Definitely a lot brighter, but the flash pattern I'm not a fan of.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
MYbe you will get lucky and the flasher has a steady burn option

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.