HELP - from our electronics gurus

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I need your help with my 2001 Pontiac Aztek LED 3rd brake light. I have a state inspection due this
month and it crapped out on me.
The pictures are what I found. I have 2 questions: (1) what is that component that went bad and (2) can
I just solder in a solid bridge to replace it ???
This car is my BABY and I'm keeping it forever.

3rdBrakeLight 001.JPG3rdBrakeLight 002.JPG3rdBrakeLight 003.JPG

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The symbol indicates a diode, Pete. If you were to solder in a bridge, you will likely have some kind of a problem. The manufacturer wouldn't install a diode if it weren't needed.

Hopefully @MtnMan or someone else wiser than I can tell you more about the type of diode based on the colored stripes.

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Thank you for responding. I did a temporary bridge, since it appeared to be on the neg/ground
side of the board, and it lit up.
I still would be more comfortable knowing about a permanent solution for my BABY :)

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The highest current rating available in that size package is 4A, so any 4 or 5A diode will work. Orient the new diode with the cathode (stripe) toward the black wire.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
It forces the electrical current to travel only one way in a circuit.

Not having it there will lead to other electrical problems - it's a GM. Who knows what else this circuit controls.

You should definitely replace it.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I want to keep it original and since the Aztek was only made for 5 years, parts are hard to find.
I'll clean-up the housing.

I'm not that well versed in electronics. What do I ask for when shopping for this damn diode ??
I can solder, just need the part. Any of you have one I can buy ??

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I was hoping you would chime in. What is the purpose of that diode ?? What could the long term
effects be if I eliminated that diode ??

Reverse polarity protection. Remember when everyone was worried about Y2k, the earth's poles flipping, and batteries running backwards? No? Why do people look at me funny when I mention that?

As for long term effects, the diode also reduces the voltage to the LEDs by about 0.5 V. Without it, they'll run a tiny little bit brighter / hotter. Call it a performance mod. And If you're still driving that Aztek when Y3k rolls around, you're on your own.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
So what your saying is that poland will be closer to the South Pole then the North Pole when they flip or will they just bury their dead face up instead of rear end up so they will have to find a new way to park their bikes???

Don't blame me it's an old joke...

But I get what he's saying a nitwit friend of mine cut out the diodes in my whelen switch box for the slide switch... Don't ask me why!

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Thank you to all that responded. . . . . . . Since I only put about 2000 miles a year on this car,
I'm going to solder in a bridge and let it fly.
It's nice to know I have a nice group of people that I can ask technical questions of and get
very honest answers.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Reverse polarity protection. As for long term effects, the diode also reduces the voltage to the LEDs by about 0.5 V. Without it, they'll run a tiny little bit brighter / hotter.

Don't leave home without it! ;)
b417t.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.