Help ID’ing beacons (750 Holmes)

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
A friend of mine bought a 74 Peterbilt to restore to look like a wrecker his dad ran early in the business. I’m trying to locate the correct lighting for it. I’m inclined to guess these are either Dietz or North American beacons. Any ideas? I also suspect those are Petersen MFG flashers on the headache rack...

Attachments

• 8B60FB51-C50F-4D25-83ED-CCD48F71F503.jpeg
    8B60FB51-C50F-4D25-83ED-CCD48F71F503.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 47
Lousy pic, but look like Dietz 211/7-11 to me.
x3
Appears to be a split dome, red front/amber rear
On 60s-70s wreckers, Dietz was almost exclusive, especially Holmes. Find out what state the business was in and you can nail down the split dome...in that era, Indiana ran red/amber; KY forbade r/a split—amber only!

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Here’s another angle of the same truck. Looks like the old man ran Grotes or something lower on the bed as well...

Attachments

• 798E0A9A-DB4D-49C2-B22F-F2271EEC7194.jpeg
    798E0A9A-DB4D-49C2-B22F-F2271EEC7194.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 39

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Dietz 2-11 and 7-11 models on e-bay very frequently. Prices often vary, there is at least one amber one now there.. Split dome versions, not so much..

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I've got a pair of "just freshened" 211's sitting on the shelf. 1-red and 1-amber. Drop me a note at hyper-lites-corp@hotmail.com if they are of interest. They were found laying on the roof of a '61 Falcon wagon in a garage, collecting dust. Here's a pic as found...
2019-11-06 001.jpg
One amber unit has already been snatched-up by a colleague for his '64 International snow plow. I completely disassembled and mechanically went through all 3. They're working 100%. Cosmetically, is where the hard part comes-in. The domes on both amber units were all kindza cracked-up. I repaired them but if you want good, I have good amber dome to go with, for a bit extra. The bases are not pretty but not beat-up...again YOUR elbow grease, is the key. The red unit's dome was just fine for a working piece.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I think I might still have a NOS amber Deitz dome kicking around.
PM me if of any interest.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I seem to recall that the split dome was an amber dome painted with transparent red on the inside. If true, amber domes are abundantly available. Or it could be a filament of my imagination...the years have not been kind to my brain cells.
Nope, it's not a fig newton of your imagination. Dietz's red-amber split domes were amber domes with 1/2 of the inside of the dome painted with transparent red paint.

The beacons on that tow truck are definitely Dietz 211 or 7-11 up high and a 240 or 7-40 on the right side of the bed.

Last edited:

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Nope, it's not a fig newton of your imagination. Dietz's red-amber split domes were amber domes with 1/2 of the inside of the dome painted with transparent red paint.

The beacons on that tow truck are definitely Dietz 211 or 7-11 up high and a 240 or 7-40 on the right side of the bed.
That is really interesting to learn!! By chance is there a consensus that Federal Signal and Whelen did the this process as Dietz did?

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I've got a pair of "just freshened" 211's sitting on the shelf. 1-red and 1-amber. Drop me a note at hyper-lites-corp@hotmail.com if they are of interest. They were found laying on the roof of a '61 Falcon wagon in a garage, collecting dust. Here's a pic as found...
View attachment 222172
One amber unit has already been snatched-up by a colleague for his '64 International snow plow. I completely disassembled and mechanically went through all 3. They're working 100%. Cosmetically, is where the hard part comes-in. The domes on both amber units were all kindza cracked-up. I repaired them but if you want good, I have good amber dome to go with, for a bit extra. The bases are not pretty but not beat-up...again YOUR elbow grease, is the key. The red unit's dome was just fine for a working piece.
Sent you a couple emails about buying those.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.