Help identifying this whelen light

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Can anyone identify this whelen light? It's got 3 400 series lights in it it's a surface mount I've got it on its way to me but looking for more details about it any info would be a great help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220215-151025_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220215-151025_Facebook.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Tony P

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
That’s going to come out of the Amber DOT catalog I believe. Not sure on the name though. Intended for upper dump body corner lights.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
called a "headboard super LED" It's from the 2006 catalog in this picture.

whanswer.JPG

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Headboard must be a surface mount front becon type light for a service truck body or dump truck were these only amber or were they blue as well? Very interesting light for sure

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Headboard must be a surface mount front becon type light for a service truck body or dump truck were these only amber or were they blue as well? Very interesting light for sure
They came in all colors. Attached is the product sheet for a similar model (same housing and lens). I can see these being useful for motorcycles, however I don't see them appear in literature outside of the "amber markets" catalog. They were offered with Freedom corner modules in place of the 400s as shown in the PDF and jpgs below.

headbdjpg.JPGheadbdjpg2.JPG

Attachments

• headboard.pdf
    380.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: firebuff17

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
They came in all colors. Attached is the product sheet for a similar model (same housing and lens). I can see these being useful for motorcycles, however I don't see them appear in literature outside of the "amber markets" catalog. They were offered with Freedom corner modules in place of the 400s as shown in the PDF and jpgs below.

View attachment 235095View attachment 235096
These still being made I wonder? Very cool info I appreciate it :)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
These still being made I wonder? Very cool info I appreciate it :)
I haven't seen them in a catalog for a few years, they stopped showing up around the time the "V" shaped surface mount M and Ion series lights came out. Whelen seems to have consolidated their surface mount 180 degree options down to Rotabeam 600, 4500 lightbars and "V" versions of lightheads which honestly covers it pretty well without having to deal with so many different footprints for different applications.

I do think these were a cool idea to fill the void left by "HELS" which was the last "V" shape strobe, and it did briefly have an LED version that went away the year after the headboard lights came out (see below for both).

HELSStb.JPG
helsled.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.