Help in identifying manufacturer of this 1965-66 beacon light.

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
Hi there everyone. I am asking for help in identifying which brand/manufacturer this beacon light is. I have tried searching the forums but I don't have enough knowledge to come close to finding the answer. I believe the circular area seen in the top photo and the rotating mechanism in the bottom photos are the key.

My ultimate goal is to get dimensions of the actual light used so I can more accurately dimension the metal shroud that is covering it. If anyone can help me or steer me to where I could find out, please let me know.

Thank you.

Clark
Beacon light 1.jpg Beacon light 2.jpg

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
This seems to be the red warning light on the Batmobile.

Michael
That was my guess too, but keep in mind since that was a hand-built custom car that light could just as easily have been fabricated out of any thing George Barris envisioned would be cool as opposed to any stock beacon.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The light was red, so that would make the Batmobile an emergency vehicle.:D

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
That was my guess too, but keep in mind since that was a hand-built custom car that light could just as easily have been fabricated out of any thing George Barris envisioned would be cool as opposed to any stock beacon.
I have now looked more closely to the photos and I am completely shure it is an older version of Tripp-Lite MV-2.
It has the same shape of the lens and have the lamp holder riveted to the top of the lens as Tripp-Lite did at that time. The later version and the contemporary one has not this construction but the same shape.
To what I can see the reflector is mounted on a disc that seems to be belt driven as Tripp-Lite's lights are.

This is the current version:
http://www.triliteinc.com/product/rotating-beacon-light-ac-dc-red-blue-green-orange~73/

Michael

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
I have now looked more closely to the photos and I am completely shure it is an older version of Tripp-Lite MV-2.
It has the same shape of the lens and have the lamp holder riveted to the top of the lens as Tripp-Lite did at that time. The later version and the contemporary one has not this construction but the same shape.
To what I can see the reflector is mounted on a disc that seems to be belt driven as Tripp-Lite's lights are.

This is the current version:
http://www.triliteinc.com/product/rotating-beacon-light-ac-dc-red-blue-green-orange~73/

Michael
Thank you Michael!

I am looking to replicate this, but not at full size. I am creating a Radio Controlled scale model and want to get the details right. Now I need to get my hands on a vintage one so I can measure it. I'm hoping I can find one to just borrow for measurements and don't have to purchase it.

Thank you again for your help!

Clark

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
The metal cage is definitely custom fabricated but I am pretty sure the beacon light started as stock.

Dude, you WILL post pics of your project. (What scale?) I was a Bat Fan...RIP, Adam West. FYI, there were 4 Batmobiles built...the original modified from the Lincoln Futura concept car George Barris bought for $1, and the other three (fiberglass bodies) used in production, because the Futura was notoriously unreliable. The original used the Tripp-Lite and the others used a FedSig 14 with aluminum strips glued to the dome. (This info is from my seed salesman's half brother who partnered with Barris on several projects like the Munsters cars. He also owns the only surviving GT40 "convertible" and original GT40 fiberglass forms...:cool:)

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Truly the theater of the absurb (but couldn't wait for each new episode on Wednesday nights!). And it took some real gonads to wear one's underwear OVER one's tights (thanks Superman!). RIP Mr. West....

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The original used the Tripp-Lite and the others used a FedSig 14 with aluminum strips glued to the dome.
Federal model 14?
The model 14 is twice as large as the Tripp-Lite and should have looked quite odd on the vehicle.
I can not recall that I ever saw anything that large on the Batmobile in the show.
Can this person remember wrong or am I?
I can think of that the Federal model 121 could have been used in this way because it has the right size but I can not say it was used.

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: dmathieu

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
Dude, you WILL post pics of your project. (What scale?) I was a Bat Fan...RIP, Adam West. FYI, there were 4 Batmobiles built...the original modified from the Lincoln Futura concept car George Barris bought for $1, and the other three (fiberglass bodies) used in production, because the Futura was notoriously unreliable. The original used the Tripp-Lite and the others used a FedSig 14 with aluminum strips glued to the dome. (This info is from my seed salesman's half brother who partnered with Barris on several projects like the Munsters cars. He also owns the only surviving GT40 "convertible" and original GT40 fiberglass forms...:cool:)
Thanks for the interest and support! I am making the car in 1/6th scale, i.e. GI Joe size! I will post pictures but I'm expecting its going to take a while to get finished.
Your friends half brother was lucky. Those were some cool projects! I'd certainly love to have a GT40 body to build.

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
Federal model 14?
The model 14 is twice as large as the Tripp-Lite and should have looked quite odd on the vehicle.
I can not recall that I ever saw anything that large on the Batmobile in the show.
Can this person remember wrong or am I?
I can think of that the Federal model 121 could have been used in this way because it has the right size but I can not say it was used.

Michael
Not sure of the beacon light models involved, but here is a picture of one of the duplicates built by Barris during the run of the show. As you can see its a very different beacon and much larger than the one on the Number One car.

Replica 2 beacon.jpg

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Not sure of the beacon light models involved, but here is a picture of one of the duplicates built by Barris during the run of the show. As you can see its a very different beacon and much larger than the one on the Number One car.
There we see.
Maxim2Eng's friend was right, that is what looks like a Federal model 14.
I did not recall that light but there was many years since I saw the show.

Michael

cacton

May 24, 2017
Burbank, CA
There we see.
Maxim2Eng's friend was right, that is what looks like a Federal model 14.
I did not recall that light but there was many years since I saw the show.

Michael
The duplicate Batmobiles were not used on the show. That's why it doesn't look familiar. The duplicates were built for touring the country to promote the TV show at car shows, county fairs, drag races and the like. The original car, called the Number One by modern fans, is an all metal body car reworked from the Ford Futura concept car from the 50's. The fiberglass bodied duplicates that Barris built were from molds made from that metal bodied car. I believe the Beacon light as used on the Number One car was built by the 20th Century Fox prop department and not by Barris Kustom Industries. I think that's why the 3 other Batmobile's he made all had a much larger beacon light with a different housing arrangement covering them.

From Mr. Barris...#1 was built in a hurry and the mechanicals didn't get much attention. When they started shooting, the car was always breaking down and/or leaking vital fluids, and it took several tense days to get it where it was more (relatively) reliable. #2 was built on a stretched Galaxie frame for stunts (remember the movie?) and lot shots--a 20' beauty (from 20', she looks beautiful! Up close...not so much.). Close ups & stationary shots used #1.

#3 & #4 were built (hey, they had the fiberglass molds) for backups and promotions then all 4 hit the road after the series ended in 68. In the photo above, that is a metal frame placed over the 14 dome to make it resemble the cage built to disguise the Tripp-Lite--a prop shop doohickey to make it (POW!!) cooler looking. Here's the glued version (love the auto TV antenna):
IMG_0436.JPG
Note the stepped dome and the snap on the dome ring facing forward. Clearly a 14

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.