Help me build Security patrol vehicles

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Ok, I need some input. I will soon be asked (if everything goes right) to put together a few patrol vehicles for Security for a large property. The vehicles will likely be Police Interceptor Utility's in AWD. I will start with the lighting and go from there.

I am looking for Green/Amber bars for Security. I would like the bar to have a traffic adviser (amber). I would also like some LAW's/HAW's in the corners.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
I play too, Whelen Liberty WeCan bar. I seen one recently that had green corners and thought D#@n thats bright. Then go either whelen laws or vertexs.

To each their own but I like to keep with the same manufacturer thro out an entire build. Especially if its not a demo vehicle to display different manufacturers. Just my two cents.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
To bad you didn't want strobe bars. I have (2) Whelen edges with the traffic advisor in the back, but they have blue lenses.

I think lightbars on security vehicles are a waste of money. I use to do a lot of security patrol before I got in to law enforcement, and even thought of starting my own company now that I'm retired. I'd put a LED traffic advisor/arrow in the back window, and a LED above the rear view mirror, a spot light, and a LED in the side rear window so the police can find you if they're approaching you from a side angle.

Heck, even a lot of police agencies I see aren't putting lightbars on their Interceptor utilities.

And if you use the word 'Patrol', we'll probably make fun of it.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
car54 said:
I play too, Whelen Liberty WeCan bar. I seen one recently that had green corners and thought D#@n thats bright. Then go either whelen laws or vertexs.

To each their own but I like to keep with the same manufacturer thro out an entire build. Especially if its not a demo vehicle to display different manufacturers. Just my two cents.

I thought about the Liberty. But I dont want to get in to expensive software (WeCan). That just jacks up the price. Which Liberty were you referencing:

Liberty SA WeCan® Series Super-LED®

Liberty SB WeCan®�Single Color Series Super-LED®

Liberty SB WeCan®�Duo Color Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SR WeCan® Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SW WeCan® Series Super-LED

Liberty™ SY Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SZ Single Color Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SZ Duo Color Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SP Series Super-LED®

Liberty™ SX Series Super-LED®

I thought about the Whelen Justice

Justice® JV WeCan® Series Super-LED®

Justice® JY WeCan® Series Super-LED®

Justice® "JC" Competitor™ Series Super-LED®

Justice® "JE" Competitor™ Series Super-LED®

With so many variations of the Justice and Liberty, It's hard for me to decide and Whelen's website is pretty much a copy and paste job all over again.

The other thing is I would like the T/A to be amber but green/amber when not in use, that way the whole rear light bar isnt just a dedicated light bar.

What about LAW's or HAWs?

Last edited by a moderator:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
OSP959® said:
To bad you didn't want strobe bars. I have (2) Whelen edges with the traffic advisor in the back, but they have blue lenses.

I think lightbars on security vehicles are a waste of money. I use to do a lot of security patrol before I got in to law enforcement, and even thought of starting my own company now that I'm retired. I'd put a LED traffic advisor/arrow in the back window, and a LED above the rear view mirror, a spot light, and a LED in the side rear window so the police can find you if they're approaching you from a side angle.

Heck, even a lot of police agencies I see aren't putting lightbars on their Interceptor utilities.

And if you use the word 'Patrol', we'll probably make fun of it.

Sorry, that set up isnt going to work here. The key is visibility. They want it bright.

Also, the word "PATROL" will not appear anywhere on the vehicle. It will have the company's name and "SECURITY" clearly written.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
It must have been the SB WeCan Duo lightbar that I seen. And by the way the rep said the green is special order so expect the price to be jacked up regardless if its WeCan bar or not. Pricing though he didn't know (doesnt suprise me) when asked about price difference. I'd say though you could do it and be ok without WeCan bar, maybe the SX bar would fit the bill. As far as the hide a ways go Vertex.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The other thing is I would like the T/A to be amber but green/amber when not in use, that way the whole rear light bar isnt just a dedicated light bar.

What about LAW's or HAWs?

I can get you all Feniex lights. The Avatar 47" has 18 LED pods with 6-4 Watt LED per pod, plus the 4 corner units that use the 4 watt LEDs also. Feniex also has Hide-A-Way that use 8-4 Watt LEDs.

What are your thoughts on controlling the lights? Individual switches or a siren light controller? Center console?

Using the picture

( just an idea )

DA - Alley Light

FDC - Green

FD1 - Green

FD2 - Amber

FD3 - Take Down

FD4 - Green

FP4 - Green

FP3 - Take Down

FP2 - Amber

FP1 - Green

PA - Alley

RPC - Green

RP5 - Amber

RP6 - Amber

RP7 - Amber

RP8 - Amber

RD8 - Amber

RD7 - Amber

RD6 - Amber

RD5 - Amber

RDC - Green

- Bar has built in TA functions with 5 patterns for each direction.

- Front black out function

- Rear black out function

- 20% All light output - great for night use

- 4 corner cruise mode will run corners only at 20%

- Take down and alley run steady or flashing

PM me for a quote, it will be for a fully populated bar with clips for mounting. You can eliminate pods to save on cost. it will be for 2 - 47" bars and 8 HAW LED. COLOR does not play a factor in cost or delivery. Average manufacture time is around a week from order submission. I am in Cleveland area, so not far.

PM me if this sounds like something you may be interested in. Let me know if you have any other questions.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Is this for a small local security company? If so don't waste your time with full loaded bars, I say a simple four corner bar with two front LEDs and a rear amber TA. K.I.S.S. the situation, some suggestions are way over board for visibility only use and pricing on products mentioned are going to be expensive.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Kd8bao said:
I can get you all Feniex lights. The Avatar 47" has 18 LED pods with 6-4 Watt LED per pod, plus the 4 corner units that use the 4 watt LEDs also. Feniex also has Hide-A-Way that use 8-4 Watt LEDs.

What are your thoughts on controlling the lights? Individual switches or a siren light controller? Center console?

View attachment 43113

Using the picture

( just an idea )

DA - Alley Light

FDC - Green

FD1 - Green

FD2 - Amber

FD3 - Take Down

FD4 - Green

FP4 - Green

FP3 - Take Down

FP2 - Amber

FP1 - Green

PA - Alley

RPC - Green

RP5 - Amber

RP6 - Amber

RP7 - Amber

RP8 - Amber

RD8 - Amber

RD7 - Amber

RD6 - Amber

RD5 - Amber

RDC - Green

- Bar has built in TA functions with 5 patterns for each direction.

- Front black out function

- Rear black out function

- 20% All light output - great for night use

- 4 corner cruise mode will run corners only at 20%

- Take down and alley run steady or flashing

PM me for a quote, it will be for a fully populated bar with clips for mounting. You can eliminate pods to save on cost. it will be for 2 - 47" bars and 8 HAW LED. COLOR does not play a factor in cost or delivery. Average manufacture time is around a week from order submission. I am in Cleveland area, so not far.

PM me if this sounds like something you may be interested in. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I went and built that bar here

Police lights, Emergency led lights, public work lights, Feniex industries, Warning vehicle lights and sirens, lightbars

but I am just not sure. Would the rear amber be able to go back to green when not used as a T/A? Otherwise, I think its too much amber then the client wants. If I cant find a light bar that will do this, I may just go with a separate T/A.

As far as controllers and consoles, I have to see what else they want. I expect the ball to really roll after the 1st of the year. Right now I am just seeing what I can put together. Build time on an Interceptor Utility is about 6-8 weeks.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
MEVS06 said:
Is this for a small local security company? If so don't waste your time with full loaded bars, I say a simple four corner bar with two front LEDs and a rear amber TA. K.I.S.S. the situation, some suggestions are way over board for visibility only use and pricing on products mentioned are going to be expensive.

Its for an in-house company that is being proposed to a much bigger company. 4-corner bars have been proposed and rejected at least so far. Again, the customer gets what they want. Its their wallet, not mine. Thanks!

IshyFlynn

Feb 8, 2012
Maine
I would suggest a separate traffic advisor!

I saw an import 8 head LED stick used as a traffic advisor not to long ago. It has two options, it could run B/B or amber TA. I'm not sure how you feel about imports, but they warranty for a few years and the unit would only cost you about $150.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
I went and built that bar here
Police lights, Emergency led lights, public work lights, Feniex industries, Warning vehicle lights and sirens, lightbars

but I am just not sure. Would the rear amber be able to go back to green when not used as a T/A? Otherwise, I think its too much amber then the client wants. If I cant find a light bar that will do this, I may just go with a separate T/A.

As far as controllers and consoles, I have to see what else they want. I expect the ball to really roll after the 1st of the year. Right now I am just seeing what I can put together. Build time on an Interceptor Utility is about 6-8 weeks.

No they would stay amber. I think you can bring the green one more in from the rear corner then the TA would only be 6. And then bind the corner and straight LED to flash together. Lemme know. If you want me to I will still get the prices so you can compare.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
How about a star sabre mtech with traffic director? You could do half amber half green or a/g/a/g ext.. then have the amber directional in the lower level.

You also have the versa star series sabre model 5472

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Looks like I will have to go the separate T/A route.

I dont want any foreign bars. I am thinking of a Whelen Justice in Green Amber

What the heck is the difference between all the Justice models I have listed?

Would a 40" be too small for a Police Interceptor Utility?

Any recommendations on a T/A?

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
A Sound Off Pinnacle would be perfect for what you are looking for. Available in full green, and it has a duo color traffic advisor so you can have a green warning pattern and an amber traffic pattern.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
firefighter7017 said:
A Sound Off Pinnacle would be perfect for what you are looking for. Available in full green, and it has a duo color traffic advisor so you can have a green warning pattern and an amber traffic pattern.

Ya know, I never really gave SOS much thought

Interesting!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
the sound off magnum bars have the dual color functionality you want. They only go to amber for traffic advisor if that is what you prefer. They are also in the same price range as the justice bars. Our agency just went from the justice bar to the magnum bar.

If you decided to go the separate warning bar route, you could do the avatar and do a Feniex Python 600, 800, or 1000. They are all capable of traffic advisor functions and are plenty bright to punch through any tint you may have. They are also low profile enough as to not obscure any rear views.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
FEVER said:
the sound off magnum bars have the dual color functionality you want. They only go to amber for traffic advisor if that is what you prefer. They are also in the same price range as the justice bars. Our agency just went from the justice bar to the magnum bar.

If you decided to go the separate warning bar route, you could do the avatar and do a Feniex Python 600, 800, or 1000. They are all capable of traffic advisor functions and are plenty bright to punch through any tint you may have. They are also low profile enough as to not obscure any rear views.

Got a video of the Magnum? Preferably with all the different patterns?

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
FireEMSPolice said:
Ya know, I never really gave SOS much thought

Interesting!

SOS makes some excellent lighting systems. A good friend of mine has this lightbar on his POV, and I can attest to it's brightness. It has programmable flash patterns, a dimming feature, ect. Well worth the money.

As for the Magnum bar, I didn't even know it existed until yesterday, so that may be a very good option. It looks as though it is a budget bar, so it could come in cheaper than the Pinnacle but still posses the same features you need. Either way, you can't go wrong with SOS.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Get with 60A. He set up Easton Town Center's vehicles. which I think look very professional...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dustymedic said:
Get with 60A. He set up Easton Town Center's vehicles. which I think look very professional...

I have been talking to Andrew long before this thread. I have dealt with him and Core Public Safety before and its been great.

I agree, Easton's Security vehicles look VERY professional. I tried to get Polaris Fashion Place to follow suit in that regard, but they are only interested in being cheap and making money by putting an vinyl wrap sponsorship ad on the cars with a half working Uniform's Warehouse China bar. Idiots! :rolleyes:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
As far as a controller goes, they want a PA and are unsure of a siren yet. I would like a light and siren controller with an integrated T/A feature. If they decide later they dont want the siren end of it, I wont hook it up.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
The TA portion of the controller depends on the lightbar. For instance the avatar has the TA function built into the bar so it's a matter of applying power to the correct wires. So that could save on the controller side. As far as the siren. If you went with a HHS2200 for example it is PC programmable. So unless you program a siren tone you won't have siren tone. My vote is for the avatar 47, 4 HAW LED, which also come green, and possibly a python 600 for the TA if you don't want the mainly amber rear. Same thing with the python. It has the TA patterns built in.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I think the Pinnacle will be the bar

Now I just need a controller. I am not sure if I want to get in to a PC programmable one or not.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
SlickTop Solutions said:
Since you have been working with Andrew, did he show you an Axixtech Torrent light bar? It will do Green/Amber split side to side with a traffic advisor that goes all amber in TA more and back to Green/Amber in warning mode.

Actually, I asked him about that the other day. He said Axixtech no longer makes the Torrent in green because it wasnt popular enough.

He is an SOS dealer however so we are discussing the Pinnacle.

Any suggestions for the PA/Siren/Light controller with a T/A controller built in? I swear I saw one once that wasnt PC programmed.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Andy L. said:
What kind of price range would you have to work with for the bar and supplemental lighting?

Thats the thing, because this is so preliminary I was basically told "design something." I expect things to take off after the 1st of the year but wanted to get this kind of equipment out of the way. I know Security (in-house) isn't a money making deal so I am trying to go with a good set up based on the little info I get. Once I get prices for things I can see where I stand.

I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I will say this... I enjoy my soundoff 380r siren/light controller

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i love the idea of the Pinnacle light bar. i just got the interior one and am very impressed

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
yes... that siren.

I don't ahve video of the siren or the magnum lightbar that has all the flash patterns. It's not a product I sell and I have to watch very closely about mixing my business with my agency.

The siren controller for me has been flawless in the time I have had it in my patrol car.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
FireEMSPolice said:
What speaker would you recommend for this

380 Series Remote Siren | Sound Off Signal

Also, I've been looking at consoles. Suggestions on that?

I would suggest the 100H speaker. It is a great all around speaker.

You could also consider the 385 Series handheld siren and light controller if space becomes a real issue. The 380R is an awsome siren, but you probably could stick with the 380 since you are likely not to need the 200W siren or dual tones. All three however have TA and lighting controls.

The Pinnacle would be a great bar for the job, though I would suggest the Magnum for this job since the lighting is for security and not for a customers that is likely to need all the frilles. The Magnum is a great bar, is very bright, and has far more options that most bars in its price range. The Pinnacle is more of a premium bar and is probably more over kill than is needed for this install. The Magnum you could even use the scalled back model (6 led corners, 3 led inboards, 3 led TDs, and split 6 led rears vs the high intensity modules everywhere) to cut the cost down and will be plenty bright. There is also The ETL 5000, if you want to go the more TIR style optics route, which has the spilt arrow capability. The Apex is the top of the line bar and can also do what you are wanting, though I wouldn't even consider it for this project unless they are wanting a really fancy truely aerdynamic bar. The only bar Sound Off makes that won't work is the Skyfire which does not have a rear TA option.

For perimeter lighting I would consider the new nForce lights since they can be ordered to double as scene lights that activate with the lightbar's TDs. Use those with some Universal Undercover LEDs alson with the bar and you'd be all set.

For consoles and computer mounts, Jotto makes some products that would work well for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need a quote on anything. I am a dealer for Sound Off, Tomar, Able2/Sho-me, FedSig, Whelen, Nova, Jotto, GoRhino, and Streamlight. If you need any other products or services, let me know. Some of the companies that we supply products for provide radio sales/service and install services if you need those too.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
aberfitchguy2472 said:
I would suggest the 100H speaker. It is a great all around speaker.

You could also consider the 385 Series handheld siren and light controller if space becomes a real issue. The 380R is an awsome siren, but you probably could stick with the 380 since you are likely not to need the 200W siren or dual tones. All three however have TA and lighting controls.

The Pinnacle would be a great bar for the job, though I would suggest the Magnum for this job since the lighting is for security and not for a customers that is likely to need all the frilles. The Magnum is a great bar, is very bright, and has far more options that most bars in its price range. The Pinnacle is more of a premium bar and is probably more over kill than is needed for this install. The Magnum you could even use the scalled back model (6 led corners, 3 led inboards, 3 led TDs, and split 6 led rears vs the high intensity modules everywhere) to cut the cost down and will be plenty bright. There is also The ETL 5000, if you want to go the more TIR style optics route, which has the spilt arrow capability. The Apex is the top of the line bar and can also do what you are wanting, though I wouldn't even consider it for this project unless they are wanting a really fancy truely aerdynamic bar. The only bar Sound Off makes that won't work is the Skyfire which does not have a rear TA option.

For perimeter lighting I would consider the new nForce lights since they can be ordered to double as scene lights that activate with the lightbar's TDs. Use those with some Universal Undercover LEDs alson with the bar and you'd be all set.

For consoles and computer mounts, Jotto makes some products that would work well for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need a quote on anything. I am a dealer for Sound Off, Tomar, Able2/Sho-me, FedSig, Whelen, Nova, Jotto, GoRhino, and Streamlight. If you need any other products or services, let me know. Some of the companies that we supply products for provide radio sales/service and install services if you need those too.

Thanks sir!

Who do you deal with in Ohio?

So I guess I am having to go with a Jotto Desk 425-6193. Which faceplate for a 380 series siren, the 3" 425-6095 or 4" 425-6403?

I am still trying to get a radio put together.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.