Help me design my 8000 cali bar

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Do you have access to a plastics supply store in your area? If you do, you could take the measurements off the bar pictured and then go to the store and get a sheet of yellow translucent plastic and make your own. You would need a heat source to "soften" the plastic so you can form / bend it to fit...

Just what I would try...

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Two things:

Very cool bar, never seen that color combo before. 90H, too! That's a plus.

The amber cutouts are
VERY hard to find. I've managed to find 3, and I'm not ready to give them up yet.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Making it a CA bar without cutting your own amber cut-outs would make it more factory-accurate for sure.

Never seen a Whelen CA bar before. That would be nice!

Transforming it into a CA would be a good project, which is the fun of playing with those blinkies, ain't it?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here's a CA strobe 8000....

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3609

I have a few red, blue and clear cutouts.... I needed amber. I have the parts to do either a halogen or a strobe 8000 CA bar... decisions...decisions

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
John, there is no need to butcher anything to get the setup you like, as those cutouts are easy to swap around, and I've done it many times. Just remove the screws from the individual metal clips on the back and carefully remove them from the cutout and then pop the cutout out of the dome. It may be stuck slightly by the thin weather gasket but that can be easily worked around. You can then use those ambers for making a Cali setup in two different bars and can replace them in those domes with some clears or maybe some reds for another unique look. BTW, the domes are backwards in that bar, shouldn't the amber cutouts be to the rear instead of the front??

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'll end up with 2 amber, 2 blue, 2 red and 1 clear to play with. I think I'll use a strobe series with the PAR 46 halogens..... Maybe put red on the flashers of this new donor bar....

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
So many options you have. I would like to see you set up the strobe version. I was also bidding on ebay for that blue bar because I had not seen that color combo on that series before, but glad someone from here picked it up.

Chris

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
That blue eBay 8000 lens used to be mine but belongs to a trooper buddy of mine now. It's in good shape and his asking price is fair. BTW, it's for the driver's side, which is harder to find in blue, and it has a clear inboard par 46 sized cutout window on one side only. It already has a $50 bid, so it will sell. Let me know if you need more info on it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have decided on a 8000 series strobe for the platform....

The driver side will have front red steady bur par46, and rear amber flashing par 46 with a red over all dome.....

Now the question is the pass side..... red or blue over all dome? Front facing steady burn, takedown or nothing. To the rear another amber flasher a red/blue flasher?

800setup.jpg

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
JohnMarcson said:
I have decided on a 8000 series strobe for the platform....

The driver side will have front red steady bur par46, and rear amber flashing par 46 with a red over all dome.....

Now the question is the pass side..... red or blue over all dome? Front facing steady burn, takedown or nothing. To the rear another amber flasher a red/blue flasher?

Can you do red overall dome with white front face that does a flash then takedown? If not then just takedown.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think I have it narrowed down to these 2. I have ruled out the clear cutout takedown ideas, the bar will have "fog light' style external alleys and a single exterior takedown. These are what I picture when i think CA PD or CA FD.....

8000setup2.jpg

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Just my 2cents, but I would go with the solid red with amber rear cutouts. Just the fireman in me. Might I suggest a single rear amber cutout on the drivers side???

Chris

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Fluffy126577 said:
Can you do red overall dome with white front face that does a flash then takedown? If not then just takedown.

That wasn't avail on 8000 bars

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I'd go with a blue over all dome on the passenger side.

Now for your configurations, Red side have a flashing amber light facing rear and on the Blue side I'd just put a red steady burn facing forward...

Just my idea...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Around Virginia, the 8000 was very rare on fire vehicles, but very common on police cruisers. I would think the same would have held true for California. If that's the case, why not follow the pattern set by the Whelen model 8002-C-IN?

Drivers side: red dome with a red cut out facing front, amber cut out facing rear

Passenger side: blue dome with an amber cut out facing rear.

Steady burn PAR-46 lamp facing front, alternating PAR-46 lamps facing rear, no step mirrors, just the 360 degree strobes in the outboard positions.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
If you want it for the genuine Cali effect, do the red/blue with a single rear amber, but if you want it to be equally balanced with rear ambers on each side, do the red/red.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.