Help Me Pick A Siren

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
So I'm putting together the Code 3 XL sealed beam bar and can't decide which siren I want to use. I have a number of 'thoughts' but not sure what I really want. If Im reading the dates correctly this was an early 80's bar so I guess something from that timeframe would be cool, but on the other hand?????

Just can't decide, open to any interesting ideas.

So what would YOU pick?

Last edited:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Whether it's for an engine that's in service or just a museum piece, I'd say whatever it came with originally, or at least something that is period correct for what might have been factory installed. Either a Federal Q or some other old-school woop-woop, definitely not an EQ2B or something else that's too modern.

Reactions: Bvfa23

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Whether it's for an engine that's in service or just a museum piece, I'd say whatever it came with originally, or at least something that is period correct for what might have been factory installed. Either a Federal Q or some other old-school woop-woop, definitely not an EQ2B or something else that's too modern.

See this post

This bar is just for a wall display Im buliding in my hanger
Ive got an an older PA300 but that seems a bit ho-hum
Period correct is cool but doesn't have to be
Kind of wanting unusual
Really just undecided

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Some ideas that might work for ya ;-)

SVP SA400, mid 1980s through the early 1990s

Whelen WS-295, early 1980s through the mid-to-late 80s

GE Powercall, late 1960s through the 1980s. Very popular for its tones, but expect to pay $$$ for one!

Federal PA200, late 1970s through most of the 1980s

Federal PA20A 2E, used from the mid-to-late 1970s to early-to-mid 1980s

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Newer PA15A 1E model, early 1980s design thru the mid-to-late 1980s

Dunbar-Nunn Unitrol, late 1970s thru the mid 1980s. Kinda hard to come across nowadays.

Heathkit GD-18, late 1970s thru early 1980s. Another one that's getting scarce out there.

That's all I've got for now. I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions as well ;-)

Reactions: LineSpotter

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
Crownvic has a lot of cool ideas. I’ll just add this one to the list, period correct and I’m pretty sure you can still buy them new too:

Yup - they're still available through North American Signal's site (the link is practically hidden and you have to go through a few menus to even find mention of their sirens), as well as some third party sites. I'll have to pick one up someday.

http://catalog.nasig.com/item/electronic-sirens-and-amplifiers/siren-and-amplifier-products/si100xl

https://megadepot.com/product/north...ier-siren-with-connector-for-radio-microphone

---

On another note, you can't go wrong with a vintage PA300 in my book!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Reactions: FCV96

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Oooooooo I had forgotten about the older SVP's :)

I wouldn't mind a Powercall or Interceptor and I don't mind paying, but only if its in halfway condition. It doesn't have to be perfect but Ive found a number of both last couple years and they were all trashed pretty bad.

Im also considering older model sirens with built in switch-banks for lighting.
Unfortunately those seem to be in some of the roughest shape.

Still open to ideas

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.