HELP NEEDED: 12V Power feed on civilian 2007 Chev Tahoe LS?

This question is directed towards upfitters who have worked on the 2007-2013 Chevy Tahoes, but any info is welcome:

I have a 2007 civilian Chevy Tahoe (previously used as a State DOJ undercover vehicle). I am installing a Troy console and all my radios and safety gear in it. On my old Expedition, I was able to run 6g wires off both terminals of the battery back to a power distrubution box in the console. However, on this truck, the battery terminals have odd connections, with only a little 10mm nut sticking up to tighten and loosen the terminal.

Is there an auxiliary power post somewhere I can tap into, like the distrubution box on the driver's side (it has two posts sticking up in the front of it, but I don't know what they are for), or is it likely ok to just attach my 6g lugs to that little 10mm nut on the battery terminals?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Consider this: your vehicle's starter pulls way more current through those side-post terminals than your radio equipment ever will. That said, you may be happiest replacing your existing battery with a dual-terminal battery:

awww.batteriesplus.com_content_images_product_large_33902.png

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I use 4ga run through the firewall on my 07 Silverado, same setup underhood as the hoes. It's attached via ring terminal to the 10mm nut/post thingy.

Reactions: Duster
Consider this: your vehicle's starter pulls way more current through those side-post terminals than your radio equipment ever will. That said, you may be happiest replacing your existing battery with a dual-terminal battery:

awww.batteriesplus.com_content_images_product_large_33902.png
It actually is a top-post battery, but it doesn't have a 'normal' bolt attaching the cable to the post...as the poster below confirmed, it has a stupid little 10mm nut that puts tension on some kind of spreader or something to create friction to tighten the cable. I just wasn't sure I wanted to hook a 4 gauge wire to that little nut. It sounds like that is what others are doing, so we'll see what happens...
Thanks for your input though! I appreciate it.

Update: I went with the 6g wires running off the 10mm nuts on the battery terminals. These leads went to a power distribution center in the center console. They are feeding a scanner, three Kenwood x90 radios, and assorted LED lights. No issues at all.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.