HELP NEEDED!

cbratt

May 21, 2010
Idaho
My agency has handed off the purchasing of equipment to a member of management that has never really worked patrol. He admits it, but is also responsible for saving money whenever he can. Given that, I need arguments IN FAVOR for a lightbar that is designed for a full size Tahoe. As it is, they ordered bars for Explorers and are using the same ones on our Tahoes. To me, its not correct...they are too narrow. I need everyones input on why we should run a bar that is the correct size. Ready go!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Other than aesthetics, there really is no reason to especially if it is LED. They will still be bright as heck and visible.

Trying my hardest to argue the point you want....I suppose (and its a stretch) you could attempt to argue that the alley lights will be hindered by being in an inch or two towards the roof. That really is the only thing I can think of. It really is just a visual thing where it may look a little silly

cbratt

May 21, 2010
Idaho
Silly! For sure. I'm embarrassed to post images of my new ride on this site for just that reason. I think it looks dumb. Lightbar good. Appearance dumb.

I argued primarily for visibility. We can get significant snowfall where I work and we routinely get guys who allow snow build up on top of their rigs (which I have argued should be a policy violation to correct the issue as some guys are simply lazy about it). The short bars get completely occluded whereas the longer bars tend to poke out on the ends and at least give some emergency lighting to the rear.

Furthermore, when seated in a vehicle of equal or lower seating height, and approaching our Tahoes from the rear, but when offset to the drivers or passengers side, you can see a longer bar sooner as the light is pushed out to the outer edge of the roofline. And again, it correctly marks the width of the vehicle and allows motorists to more effectively judge distance.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Personally I don't think normal sized bars look silly at all on the Tahoe's. If your cars looks that ridiculous, it's probably more an upfit problem in general than just the bar. Which light bars do you guys run? 64c19c94f2111787c8623d8c5d15189b.jpgPoliceStandoff-GDT-011417-1.jpg31517009464_6c9ee97c53_b.jpg

Reactions: cbratt

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Cant aruge in your favor.....Standard I've seen is 48inch bars on most police SUVs regardless of make/model. In any case I do agree that any bar no matter the length cannot be seen from the rear due to the high back nature of SUVs. You're better off arguing for additional rear interior lighting mounted to the headliner OR exterior "c" post lights.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
You'd be better off ditching exterior bars all together to be honest. I was the biggest supporter of top mount bars until I actually ordered 4 cars with good slicktop setups. I'll never go back. I went with a full SoundOff interior build, so interior bars front and back, and modules on the front/sides of the push bumper, corner lights, HLF/TLF, under mirrors, modules in the side windows, and some license plate modules.

The setup was cheaper(!), doesn't get blocked by snow/ice, has no aero drag or wind noise, higher resale, and is just as effective as a full bar.

Reactions: cbratt

cbratt

May 21, 2010
Idaho
You'd be better off ditching exterior bars all together to be honest. I was the biggest supporter of top mount bars until I actually ordered 4 cars with good slicktop setups. I'll never go back. I went with a full SoundOff interior build, so interior bars front and back, and modules on the front/sides of the push bumper, corner lights, HLF/TLF, under mirrors, modules in the side windows, and some license plate modules.

The setup was cheaper(!), doesn't get blocked by snow/ice, has no aero drag or wind noise, higher resale, and is just as effective as a full bar.

While they may work for some, I cant. I'm 6'6" and the interior bar drops my line-of-sight just far enough to make it even more miserable. But I do like the slicks.....they are sharp.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I'm 6'4" and had them in 2018 Explorers, which have seat height adjustment. I never had any problems. I can see it possibly being an issue in Chargers or Taurusii, but I haven't tested either.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.