Help on my POV

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Hey,

Im pretty new to the whole emergency lights thing. I was wondering if people had suggestions for me to consider. I have a 03 Chevy Malibu with a knock off dual avenger in the front.

Thanks

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
some counties are one blue light facing front. but then again some departments dont give a shit. my department is one of the most strict in my county but the neighboring town can run spaceships with no problem. one of the most common and effective setups is a light in the windshield usually in the top. a couple grill lights, maybe a headlight flasher. and for the rear if you feel like being bally, strobes in the taillights, a traffic advisor or some lights in the back window, red or amber

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Next best thing is to ask the Chief what is allowed and what is not.

Everybody has an opinon on this but best to follow department SOP on what they want for lights on POV's

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Im from Albany county. My chiefs dont really care, as long as we are only using blue facing forwards. I dont want to have a "spaceship" when Im going to a call, just some rear warning maybe additional forward warning, not so sure on that though.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Your from NY and your not a giants fan...ugh. :nono:

Depending on what type of brand you want the price can be a wide range area. If you check out the Classified section, you can usually find some decent unbeatable prices in there. I'd start off with a dash light, grill lights, and maybe some LED Hideaways to the rear. Then after that you can add the side warning if you please and some other things.

Oh and by the way...

GO GIANTS

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Hahaha I dont dislike the Giants, Ive just been following the patriots since I was in elementary school. And alright thank you for your help. Im a bit lazy to hard wire lights in and also because I hope to get a new car in the future. I was thinking of getting a dash light and just mounting it with suction cups to my rear windshield. But which one to get with what color combination is where I get stuck..

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
patriotsfan1050 said:
Im from Albany county. My chiefs dont really care, as long as we are only using blue facing forwards. I dont want to have a "spaceship" when Im going to a call, just some rear warning maybe additional forward warning, not so sure on that though.

Amazing your chief doesn't care as long as it's facing forward.

What about somebody coming at you from behind? While using another car tempararly while mine was in the shop I used a dash light and was backing out of a driveway and was almost hit because they did'nt see my light.

Or if your are backing or trying to pull out onto the street nobodys going to know that you are a FF and trying to responde when you have a light facing forward only.

Seen few FF's in accidents because all they had was a forward facing light.

I like my 360 lightbar or even a 360 beacon.

Also your'e only FF and not an chief officer your'e only allowed blue not any other color combo.

https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/srgvat.pdf

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
eng18ine said:
some counties are one blue light facing front. but then again some departments dont give a shit. my department is one of the most strict in my county but the neighboring town can run spaceships with no problem. one of the most common and effective setups is a light in the windshield usually in the top. a couple grill lights, maybe a headlight flasher. and for the rear if you feel like being bally, strobes in the taillights, a traffic advisor or some lights in the back window, red or amber

I don't really have an opinion on what he said but DEFINITELY stay away from wig wags, that is one thing, at least on LI, will get you in trouble. Law's/Haw's all though still illegal, most people seem to get away with. Good luck, Rob.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
eng18ine said:

ALL counties in NYS are one, single, blue light. Local areas may turn a blind eye to the law, but by LAW, ALL Counties in NYS are one, uno, singular, solitary blue light.

scruffythewild said:
I don't really have an opinion on what he said but DEFINITELY stay away from wig wags, that is one thing, at least on LI, will get you in trouble. Law's/Haw's all though still illegal, most people seem to get away with. Good luck, Rob.

You mean this question asked here?

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/wigwag-headlights-they-legal-personal-vehicles-ny-32821/

Started by the illustrious View Profile: chrismartin1701 - eLightbars.org

Nov 12, 2012
New York
chief1565 said:
Amazing your chief doesn't care as long as it's facing forward.

What about somebody coming at you from behind? While using another car tempararly while mine was in the shop I used a dash light and was backing out of a driveway and was almost hit because they did'nt see my light.

Or if your are backing or trying to pull out onto the street nobodys going to know that you are a FF and trying to responde when you have a light facing forward only.

Seen few FF's in accidents because all they had was a forward facing light.

I like my 360 lightbar or even a 360 beacon.

Also your'e only FF and not an chief officer your'e only allowed blue not any other color combo.

https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/srgvat.pdf

I think you got confused on what I was saying, my fault for not explaining right. My chief doesnt care what lights we put on our cars, EXCEPT facing forward must be blue AND wig wags are prohibited. I currently back into my driveway so I dont have an issue pulling out. I would like rear warning so if I need to change lanes quickly, I dont cut someone off without giving them a little bit of warning (yes I know I can signal a lane change). I've had fellow firefighters try to get me to pullover because they cant remember everyone's cars so they dont know Im responding. Thats the second reason I want rear warning. The third reason is Im allowed to go to the scene (any of the firemen in my dept can first respond) if I miss the truck or if Im close to the scene.

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Zapp Brannigan said:
ALL counties in NYS are one, single, blue light. Local areas may turn a blind eye to the law, but by LAW, ALL Counties in NYS are one, uno, singular, solitary blue light.

You mean this question asked here?

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/wigwag-headlights-they-legal-personal-vehicles-ny-32821/

Started by the illustrious View Profile: chrismartin1701 - eLightbars.org

Lol, that was a good classic all though I can't really laugh though, as some of my previous threads haven't been the "brightest" either. :p

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
patriotsfan1050 said:
I think you got confused on what I was saying, my fault for not explaining right. My chief doesnt care what lights we put on our cars, EXCEPT facing forward must be blue AND wig wags are prohibited. I currently back into my driveway so I dont have an issue pulling out. I would like rear warning so if I need to change lanes quickly, I dont cut someone off without giving them a little bit of warning (yes I know I can signal a lane change). I've had fellow firefighters try to get me to pullover because they cant remember everyone's cars so they dont know Im responding. Thats the second reason I want rear warning. The third reason is Im allowed to go to the scene (any of the firemen in my dept can first respond) if I miss the truck or if Im close to the scene.

Sorry my mistake i thought the way you said it meant no exterior lights .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.