Help Our Rescue!

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
We have a 2000 Hackney heavy rescue with all halogen lighting. There are 2 main flashers, one does the upper lighting and the other the lower, which is eight 600s and two 900s. The problem is that they have been working for a few minutes, then they cut out, then they work again. I got to the whole board where everything is wired; the problem is that the relay (40A) and breaker (20A) are getting extremely hot, which causes them to overheat and cut out. What I can't figure out is why they are doing this, especially because they're mounted in a Class 1 circuit board, so all the connections seem good.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd rather not have the rescue burn down.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
whats the wattage on the bulbs, and how many and what light heads are on each flasher? do both flasher wire into the 40 amp relay and 2o amp breaker?

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
That's probably a lot of lighting wiring on a heavy rescue truck. Check the wiring size (gauge)and also see if there is corrosion on the terminals into the lightheads, flashers, and relays. Are there extra wire splices or multiple connections that could increase resistance. As to the breaker, could that be the problem?

I am also not a fan of circuit breakers. Have you replaced the breaker or tried using a fuse instead?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If this just now became a problem, what changed? If you haven't added any lights to those circuits the either a connect, wire or breaker is bad.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
The breaker and relay are good because I've tried different ones and the same thing happened. There are 2 flashers on separate relays/breakers. I can't really change anything because everything is mounted on a circuit board and it's factory from Hackney.

John, apparently it's always done this but no one had the ambition to figure it out. This is a squad I joined at school, so I've been kept busy fixing stuff like this. I think the truck is around a 1998; it's an International 4700.

My opinion is that the wire going to the flasher isn't a big enough gauge. The other flasher is set up the same way but it only flashes 6 lights, not 10. Keep in mind these flashers are rated for 50 amps per output pole.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
philyumpshus said:
The breaker and relay are good because I've tried different ones and the same thing happened. There are 2 flashers on separate relays/breakers. I can't really change anything because everything is mounted on a circuit board and it's factory from Hackney.

John, apparently it's always done this but no one had the ambition to figure it out. This is a squad I joined at school, so I've been kept busy fixing stuff like this. I think the truck is around a 1998; it's an International 4700.

My opinion is that the wire going to the flasher isn't a big enough gauge. The other flasher is set up the same way but it only flashes 6 lights, not 10. Keep in mind these flashers are rated for 50 amps per output pole.

You are most likely right... insufficient gauge would cause that

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.