Help outfitting a 2003 Ford Ranger

fordman

Jan 4, 2011
Illinois
I'm a frequent browser who rarely posts on here, but seeing as how I am starting at a new volunteer FD and ambulance service (after moving out of my previous district), I figured I would ask the opinion of the experts on how to outfit my ride. A little information you should know:

1) As of now, I only have a single SNM D12 b/b. My former chief was adamant on using nothing more than a single dashlight.

2) I have a 9-mile response to the station for the FD, but I am also allowed to respond to the scene. So far, it's been about 50/50 as far as where I have been responding to.

3) I have anywhere from a 9-mile to 20-mile response to the station for the ambulance service, depending on which station is most convenient in relation to the location of the call. If I am scheduled "on call," I am obligated to respond to the station (Hey, somebody has to pick up the ambulance. :) ). However, if I am not on call and simply respond when the tones drop, I can respond straight to the scene. The ambulance district covers parts of 2 counties, and "straight-to-scene" response times of 20+ minutes are not uncommon by any means. I am only scheduled on-call a total of 24 hours a week, so the majority of my responses to EMS calls will be to the scene, which includes desolate country roads, small towns (populations ranging between 40 and 1000 residents) and 4-lane highways.

4) I live in IL, a blue-light courtesy state.

5) I need something that is not overdone (see #4), but also moves traffic while en-route and which provides adequate "protection" and warning when I respond to the scene.

6) My target budget is less than $750, but this is not set in stone. If I need to add to my set-up a little bit at a time, I will. I don't mind drilling if necessary, and either have the necessary knowledge to install anything emergency light related, or I know someone who does, so pretty much anything goes.

I think I have included all of the basic info. I didn't mean to write so much, but I kept thinking of more and more things to add.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
How about 2 grille lights in the front grille, a warning bar in the rear window, and a LP bracket with two surface mounts in the rear. An intersection bracket with two surface mounts on the front would also be a nice addition

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Can you use amber to the rear? Do u ever use it to block odd something on scene or need scene lighting ?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Slick-top may be the currently popular style, but I still consider a rooftop minibar to be the basic starting point for POV lighting. 360 degree visibility and no issues with tint, flashback, etc.

fordman

Jan 4, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming!

To answer a few questions:

I am allowed to run amber, and had been thinking about the SNM dual color bar for the rear window. I occasionally will block traffic for scene protection, but only until a larger, more suitable vehicle (i.e. one of the fire rigs or a second ambulance that won't be used for patient care) arrives on scene.

Scene lighting isn't an issue..I have auxiliary lighting on my truck already.

I have certainly considered a mini-bar for the roof. I'm torn between LED and halogen simply because of where I live in IL. The halogen would be of more benefit in the winter, since it provides somewhat of a "lighthouse effect" when the weather starts getting bad and melts snow better than LED bars.

For anyone who suggests a halogen mini bar, what kind would you suggest? I know that I am going to get a wide variety of answers here, but I'm simply not as knowledgeable on halogen lights as I am on LEDs.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
IIRC, IL technically doesn't allow amber in combination with blue.

fordman

Jan 4, 2011
Illinois
foxtrot5 said:
IIRC, IL technically doesn't allow amber in combination with blue.

After looking up the law, foxtrot is right. At one time, both could be used. However, the law has changed in the mean time. So amber is a definite no-go.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I say four nice sized grill lights, two for intersection (one each side between bumper and body front fender), two under the tail gate above the bumper, and two on a License plate bracket. That gets ya done for about $400ish and if you want to come back later you can mount a stick in the back window or a mini bar on top.

As far as halogen mini bars go... I love the fed sig mini jet streams. I just never trust anything with magnets while a vehicle is in motion.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
FEVER said:
As far as halogen mini bars go... I love the fed sig mini jet streams. I just never trust anything with magnets while a vehicle is in motion.

To be fair, I ran with a mag-mount mini liberty for YEARS and never once had an issue and I would get up to 80-85 on interstates sometimes. This was mounted on a Saturn Vue.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
foxtrot5 said:
To be fair, I ran with a mag-mount mini liberty for YEARS and never once had an issue and I would get up to 80-85 on interstates sometimes. This was mounted on a Saturn Vue.

i've seen people do 100 with them.. BUT the aerodynamics of each vehicle are different. All you need is the right wind direction, cross, wind, bump, etc and you are dragging a lightbar.

I usually suggest not to do it even though the convenience greatly out weighs the perm mount.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
fordman said:
For anyone who suggests a halogen mini bar, what kind would you suggest? I know that I am going to get a wide variety of answers here, but I'm simply not as knowledgeable on halogen lights as I am on LEDs.

Something with dual 55 W rotators. My personal favorite is the Whelen Guardian, which is well made and quiet, with big round reflectors that produce a good pop.

Federal Highlighter, Code 3 LP6105, and Star 9200 are good too. Plenty of good deals on used bars as people upgrade to LEDs. Any of these can be permanently mounted if you like.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Do you have a pic of the truck? I have a brush guard on my Explorer and it is a great way to add intersection lights. I would watch the ads on here, you can find some good deals.

fordman

Jan 4, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for all the suggestions on the halogen mini-bars. If I were to go that route, I'd definitely permanent mount it. The last thing I want is to get half-way to the scene and lose the bar. :eek:

Eric1249, I do not have a pic of it handy, but it's pretty much stock: no brush guard. I might look into one, though.

I appreciate all the advice. It's going to be a tough decision on lighting. But hey, if I don't like what I have, I can always change it. I mean, really, are we EVER finished with our lighting installs? :D

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
I would go with this

Roof

Federal signal Highlighter with 95fpm rotators(360 coverage)

Front

A Powerarc D12 mounted in to the grille.(will cover front and intersections)

Rear

Pair of Whelen M4s

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
fordman said:
Thanks for all the suggestions on the halogen mini-bars. If I were to go that route, I'd definitely permanent mount it. The last thing I want is to get half-way to the scene and lose the bar. :eek:

Eric1249, I do not have a pic of it handy, but it's pretty much stock: no brush guard. I might look into one, though.

I appreciate all the advice. It's going to be a tough decision on lighting. But hey, if I don't like what I have, I can always change it. I mean, really, are we EVER finished with our lighting installs? :D

There is a guy on my Dept that has a brush guard on his Ranger. Looks good. You are right, lights are new done. lol

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
A mini aero would look good then add some par 36 flashers in the grill and hide aways in the corners and taillights maybe a headlight flasher synced with the grill lights a good 360 setup and its cool

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
fordman said:
I mean, really, are we EVER finished with our lighting installs? :D

No. No, we are not.

fordman

Jan 4, 2011
Illinois
Sorry I've been away for a couple days. Between work and the calls I've been on, accessing a computer just hasn't been happening. lol. But once again, I appreciate the suggestions.

With the advice I have received both on here and locally, I am probably going to go with:

(2) larger grill lights (suggestions?)

(2) lights on a LP bracket

Halogen mini bar up top

SNM D12 (already installed)

SNM E66 in the rear window

HLF

Does this seem to be too much for a courtesy light state, too little for the location of the scenes that I respond to, or just right?

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
fordman said:
Sorry I've been away for a couple days. Between work and the calls I've been on, accessing a computer just hasn't been happening. lol. But once again, I appreciate the suggestions.

With the advice I have received both on here and locally, I am probably going to go with:

Halogen mini bar up top

HLF

Does this seem to be too much for a courtesy light state, too little for the location of the scenes that I respond to, or just right?

Whelen M4s or M7s in the front grill

I would skip the LP lights

Everything else sounds good.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Quentin said:
How about a Valor?
ai274.photobucket.com_albums_jj272_kingandsons07_002_6.jpg

or a Vector?

ai274.photobucket.com_albums_jj272_kingandsons07_007_6.jpg

I want the speakers off that first ranger... and a Vector is ALWAYS a good idea.

edit: wow, just noticed it's the same truck. Shame he did away with that vector... but at least he stuck with the "V" bars.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Quentin said:
Same ranger ;) I just upgraded lightbars

That's your baby? Very nice! Send me one of your BP100s!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
fordman said:

Halogen mini bar up top

HLF

With all this you could skip the minibar and still have a great setup.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
acala91 said:
With all this you could skip the minibar and still have a great setup.

I don't know, I think a simple halogen rotator mini-bar would round this out perfectly.

MJB1224

Aug 17, 2013
Goose Creek, SC
I have a '03 Ranger myself. I have the following:

60watt Strobe Pack (Headlights, and Reverse Lights)

AWL RX-46 Warning Stick (mounted in rear window)

Signal Phantom Visor Bar

AWL L-18 Dash Light

2 AWL T-3 mounted on the side of the front pumper

Galls Street Thunder Siren w/ 100 watt speaker

I will post pictures soon.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
MJB1224 said:
I have a '03 Ranger myself. I have the following:

60watt Strobe Pack (Headlights, and Reverse Lights)

AWL RX-46 Warning Stick (mounted in rear window)

Signal Phantom Visor Bar

AWL L-18 Dash Light

2 AWL T-3 mounted on the side of the front pumper

Galls Street Thunder Siren w/ 100 watt speaker

I will post pictures soon.

He's got a lot of light...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.