Help PLS! Code 3 Mastercom

ff516

Mar 9, 2011
USA MO
I have a Code 3 Mastercom siren with 6 light controls. I have it all hooked up correctly and the speaker worked fine with my last unit. The airhorn sounds very distorted, kinda like a mix between the airhorn and siren. Any ideas? Could this be a wiring issue if I don't have a large enough wire feeding the power and the ground? Also, it seems that the wail peaks and holds for a few seconds before descending. Could these things be caused by dirty connections or a dirty siren board?

This is not my siren, it is one I found on YouTube that sounds exactly like my issue. It just doesn't sound right to me or is this just normal for this model siren? This is a 3892L6 Mastercom B. This is the newer model Mastercom that has the indicator light to the left of the rotary switch vs. to the right like on the older models. On the older models, you can also turn the siren off using the PA volume knob, newer models do not have this feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
How about a pic & model of the mastercom?

medic2078

Jul 10, 2010
USA, NJ
I believe that is normal for the Code3 sirens, as that is how our Code3 V-Cons and an RLS sound like. IMO, the Code3 airhorn tone sounds goofy.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ff516 said:
I have a Code 3 Mastercom siren with 6 light controls. I have it all hooked up correctly and the speaker worked fine with my last unit. The airhorn sounds very distorted, kinda like a mix between the airhorn and siren. Any ideas? Could this be a wiring issue if I don't have a large enough wire feeding the power and the ground? Also, it seems that the wail peaks and holds for a few seconds before descending. Could these things be caused by dirty connections or a dirty siren board?

This is not my siren, it is one I found on YouTube that sounds exactly like my issue. It just doesn't sound right to me or is this just normal for this model siren? This is a 3892L6 Mastercom B. This is the newer model Mastercom that has the indicator light to the left of the rotary switch vs. to the right like on the older models. On the older models, you can also turn the siren off using the PA volume knob, newer models do not have this feature.

I don't understand why you have to turn the pursuit switch all the way over to get the siren to work. I'll get some pics and show how mine is wired up.

I have one of those exact models. Are you sure you have it wired correct?

All I do is turn on the siren switch and everything goes has it should.

Here's the try this .

3890_3940_Series_Mastercom_Siren_T06998_rev_4.pdf

Attachments

• 3890_3940_Series_Mastercom_Siren_T06998_rev_4.pdf
    301 bytes · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
chief1565 said:
I don't understand why you have to turn the pursuit switch all the way over to get the siren to work.
Mine is set up the same way - siren only activates in position 2 or 3 so I can't be running code w/ only rear lights on. There a couple little switches on the back of the siren box that will turn on/off this function, as well as the indicator "beep" to let you know your shyt's turned on so you don't drive around all day with an alley light on...not that I EVER did that....

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ok here is how mine is set up the dip switchs in the back have to be all up.

I wired my main power with 8 gauge wire to the battery,Then close to the siren stripped wire back and soldered 2 wires in and then used shrick tubing to cover up.

1 wire goes to the siren and the other to the Aux. hookup then ground to a good source.

the frt.I leave in the air horn postion.

When i turn the siren on it gets power for the siren functions.

Let me know if that helps.

Here are my pics.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

ff516

Mar 9, 2011
USA MO
I can run the siren without the pursuit switch being on. No problem there. My problem is with the sound of the airhorn. It just sounds weird to me.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I'll get mine to fire for you it's going to be inside the house.Ok?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ff516 said:

I think so . Like in our emails I think you should attempt to find another speaker.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Just wondering what speaker are you using? Got a pic?

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
ff516 said:

I run an older Code 3 V-Con and my air horn sounds just like that.

Every V-Con / Mastercom I've used or heard has sounded like that.

Code 3 sirens are decent quality but I think their tones are a bit off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.