Help Spec my new patrol truck

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
My dept. is buying a new truck for me (Police K-9). It'll be a crew cab truck, most likely an F-250. Looking at red/blue, with a steady red light on the dash (mainly because that's the center of the truck.

I like the look of some of the new dual color bars coming out but I'm tending to lean toward a Whelen Freedom because it has a larger footprint on a big truck.

I do want an A-post spot light and a Go-light. Other than that, I'm wide open to ideas.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Freedom or Valor to the Roof

Whelen M9's on the grill

SOS Intersectors on the mirrors

Feniex Apollo's in the side windows (if it has them)

TIRs on the rear LP Bracket

With Feniex Dual Color Cannons in the fog and reverse light housings.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Valor (can also be used as a scene light.)

T/A in the rear window

M6 on Grille

2x M4 on each side

Cannons in the tails

And a bunch of lifetime led lights.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
M9s on the grill are a bit much. M6s are the way to go.

M4s front and rear intersections.

I also like the fedsig valor, and omit the go-light.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Dont over whacker it....... I hate when a vehicle is over done, Just throw a bar on the roof of your choice and some hide aways and grill lights and for sure a go light. THATS IT dont be putting things in the rear window or side windows if your going to do that just dont bother with a lightbar then since your over doing it. choose one or the other dont do it twice over.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Alternatively to the Go-Light have you considered a FedSig VisiBeam?

If your truck won't have a cap, consider amber lights in the 4 corners of your rear window flashing in an x-pattern.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
CACBAND said:
My dept. is buying a new truck for me (Police K-9). It'll be a crew cab truck, most likely an F-250. Looking at red/blue, with a steady red light on the dash (mainly because that's the center of the truck.

I like the look of some of the new dual color bars coming out but I'm tending to lean toward a Whelen Freedom because it has a larger footprint on a big truck.

I do want an A-post spot light and a Go-light. Other than that, I'm wide open to ideas.

FRONT:

--M9 or M6 in front of grill: 1 solid red, 1 solid blue alternating

--HLF

--Single Avenger/Viper Red on dash

SIDES

--2 M7's per side (above each wheel well). Have a Batt Chief F-350 and the M7's fit perfect on the rim part of the wheel well

--M2 or Linz6 on side of PB

LIGHTBAR

--Red/Blue Freedom: keep it basic with half red and half blue (don't interweave red/blue), & don't do a lower tier amber TA (b/c it often gets drowned out by the red & blue flashing on the upper tier

REAR

--TIR3 Amber TA in lower in window (if no topper on the bed) OR linz6 Amber TA up top (if there is a topper). If there is a topper, just remember not to populate the rear of the freedom, b/c it's a waste of money

--1 M9 Blue and 1 M9 Red on a slow wigwag pattern (mounted on each side of the Ford logo on liftgate)

--If you want, red cannon LAWs in brake light housing. I personally don't think you need them, but it is an option

MISC

--Cencom pushing 2 Whelen SA315 or FedSig AS124 speakers

--Unity light (I personally wouldn't recommend spending the extra $ on the duo color unity light inserts b/c half the time the unity lights are pointed downwards & you already have a bunch of forward warning)

--Go Light that you requested, mounted on top of freedom. Personally, I'm not a fan of Go-Lights (they're not a bad product, but you spend more time fussing with the controller than you do with alleys/TDs or a unity, IMO)

--Push bumper

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Feniex cobra series will do the same as the rigid single row. Probably half the price if not less. We also have Lifetime LEDs

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Lightbar:

- FedSig 51" Valor dual color red & blue with flood up front and T/A to the rear

Front:

- Whelen M6 solid red and blue on a push bumper

- Whelen M4 solid red and blue on side mirrors synced with the M6s

- HLF

Sides:

- Whelen M4 solid red and blue on the sides of the push bumper synced with the front LEDs

- Whelen 500 V-series red and blue on the sides of the tool box

- Whelen M4 surface mounted just in front of the tail lights red and blue opposite of the color on the push bumper

Rear:

- Whelen M6 solid red and blue surface mounted on the tail gate

Siren & Speakers:

- FedSig SSP3000

- FedSig AS124 x2 mounted to the bottom of the push bumper crossbar

Other:

- Whelen ULF44 flasher to sync all perimeter LEDs

- Rigid Dually D2s mounted in the factory fog light locations

and/or

- Whelen Pioneer plus on the push bumper between the M6s

- Whelen park kill module

Notes: Have all the perimeter LEDs flash signal alert or action flash in gear along with the HLF and while in the lightbar. Have the perimeter LEDs change to single flash 60 and all flashing white cut when the vehicle is in park.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Let's not forget the single most important piece of equipment on the vehicle. www.acek9.com

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
CACBAND said:
Open bed is the plan.

if you wanna do something Different for a police Vehicle

get a Back Rack. get two of Whelen R316 LED beacon mount them using the Back Rack Brackets.

Dominator to the Rear and maybe one mounted on the top of the Rack facing front.

get the new Smaller Pioneer mount them on the Rack facing front and rear or how you like

400 Series V-Heads in the Grill

Ion V for the Intersection

Vertex in the Rear .

maybe a set of ION V on the Bumper to the rear

Spend money get the Whelen Spot light

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
acala91 said:
Lightbar:

- FedSig 51" Valor dual color red & blue with flood up front and T/A to the rear

Front:

- Whelen M6 solid red and blue on a push bumper

- Whelen M4 solid red and blue on side mirrors synced with the M6s

- HLF

Sides:

- Whelen M4 solid red and blue on the sides of the push bumper synced with the front LEDs

- Whelen 500 V-series red and blue on the sides of the tool box

- Whelen M4 surface mounted just in front of the tail lights red and blue opposite of the color on the push bumper

Rear:

- Whelen M6 solid red and blue surface mounted on the tail gate

Siren & Speakers:

- FedSig SSP3000

- FedSig AS124 x2 mounted to the bottom of the push bumper crossbar

Other:

- Whelen ULF44 flasher to sync all perimeter LEDs

- Rigid Dually D2s mounted in the factory fog light locations

and/or

- Whelen Pioneer plus on the push bumper between the M6s

- Whelen park kill module

Notes: Have all the perimeter LEDs flash signal alert or action flash in gear along with the HLF and while in the lightbar. Have the perimeter LEDs change to single flash 60 and all flashing white cut when the vehicle is in park.

This. Exactly.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Light bar

Rotobeam freedom half red half blue

With take downs and alleys

Front

HLF

Push bumper with 2 power arc's 1 red 1 blue and a Whelen pioneer in the middle

Sides Ion V's on side of push bumper and on mirrors hooked to a Whelen UHF 44 set to flash color than white scene light synced on both sides and scene light comes on with respective alley and all on take downs

Also surface mount power arc's 1 red 1 blue over wheel well

Rear

Red vertex in each tail light and blue Linz 6's on a tag bracket synced together

Unity spot light on driver and passenger sides with Whelen inserts

I think that covers everything

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
mdlighting said:
ULF44 sorry my phone is a lot smaller than my iPad lol

We all knew what you meant, I'm just in a sarcastic mood today. :thumbsup: (for those [like myself] who have trouble detecting sarcasm in print, this is supposed to be humorous sarcasm, not intended to belittle anyone)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.