Help - Whelen Flash Patterns

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I'm wiring up my first set of Whelen strobes (not LED). I have four options - Single, Double, Comet, or Action. Single and Double are pretty easy to figure out. What are Comet and Action, though? When I Google it I get flash patterns within single LED heads and I am working with vintage strobes. A video would be great, but if you wanna keep it simple, just use the numbers 1 and 2 and gimme a string showing the sequence. Thanx!

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Comet I believe is when each strobe flashes 4 times then goes to the other side and flashes 4 times then back etc. The action flash I'd venture to say is when the strobe will flash 3-4 times on each side then after I think 2 or 3 cycles, they go to a rapid back and forth flash for 5-6 flashes. I'm just pulling from memory. I could be wrong on all of that.

Reactions: Wolfie

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Firemedic is pretty spot on.
Comet is 4 flashes. So for a 2 head operation it would be 4 flashes right side, 4 flashes left side, 4 flashes right side, etc,etc...
Action flash is a combination of comet flash and single flash. Would go something like this
4 flashes left, 4 flashes right, for 4 cycles
Then single flash left, single flash right for 6? (Maybe 4..I cant fully remember) Cycles. Then the whole thing repeats again.

Reactions: Wolfie

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Thank you all. I've decided to go with the Comet pattern. It gives me a better "footprint" before switching colors (one of the dual heads I'm using is R/B). On the driver I'm using, it also requires less wiring, so that's good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.