Help Wiring my First Federal Q

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
I recently purchased a Federal Q to place on the Ford C8000 Pumper that I am in the process of restoring. The unit arrived in apparent good working order with the bearing looking good and free spinning well. I was able to easily wire and trigger the brake solenoid, however I cannot find any indication as to where the connection for the positive terminal on the motor. I will attach some images below for reference. I suspect the positive wire was totally removed when the truck it came off of was stripped so there is not old cable to trace.

On a side note, if anyone has any ideas on how to date this accurately I would be interested to know. The seller indicated it was 1960's but I am not sure of the accuracy of that. Since this is a grille mount and not a bumper mount there isn't a plate like you would normally see on the bullet housing.IMG_4918.jpgIMG_4919.jpgIMG_4921.jpgIMG_4920.jpg

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Typically - the large power wire from your solenoid (which would be wired directly to the batt with a large breaker) would go to the big ole stud in the second picture on the top right of the motor, then the motor grounds through the mounting plate.

Hope that helps...........................

DFD1994

Dec 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex
Okay, excellent. I suspected this was the case but I currently have continuity between the base and that bolt so is that implying I have a ground short somewhere? I may just be misunderstanding.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Okay, excellent. I suspected this was the case but I currently have continuity between the base and that bolt so is that implying I have a ground short somewhere
The motor windings are very low resistance, hence the large startup current.

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned it would be bad if the base to stud was OL or infinite resistance, that would mean the windings are broken somewhere.

I would measure the Ohms from base to stud and if its almost 0 then you may have a short to the case BUT I would still put a set of cables to it and give it a shot.

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
LOVE that wind down!!!!! They don’t make them like they used to!!!! If you ever want to part with that Q you got your buyer right here.

Reactions: DFD1994

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.