Help - Wiring Rigid Lights to Flash

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
I want to know if this is possible. Along with how to do it.

I have two Rigid Industries Q series Lights, 2 feniex cannon flashers and 5 40 amp automotive relays.

Essentially what I want to do is the following
Switch 1 - Steady Burn On
Switch 2 - slow wig wag
Switch 3 - hyper wig wag (triggers with airhorn)

How can I do this with the feniex flashers and relays. Without worrying about back feeding the circuit.

I am very very new to relays. I in the past have wired standard 12 volt emergency lights but that was a simple:
Battery - circuit breaker - fuse block - switch - light

If anybody can help me out that would be awesome.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so essentially you will need 3 sets of power wires and grounds... (or tie all of the grounds together)

you would set mode 1 of the cannon flashers to steady. you will need 2 relays..

set mode 2 as slow single flash... 2 relays

set mode 3 as whatever pattern.. 2 relays

3 switches 1 for each mode...

each flasher lead wire will now be the trigger for 1 relay

each relay needs power, ground, trigger(+) and out put

sound good so far?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Only two relays are necessary.

are you going to use 20 resistors for 2 relays? But i guess that cannon flasher has its own built in system of seperating power for different modes.. in which case you would attach all 3 cannon flasher outputs as the trigger.. but thats not very fail safe if you loose a mode..

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
So..... do I need 6 relays ? Lol

You're controlling two lights, so I can't see any reason to use more than two relays. Here's a basic circuit for what you're planning. The reverse-biased diodes protect against voltage spikes from the relay coils.

Screenshot (77).png

There's a possible complication if the Cannon flasher output is modulated. At least some Whelen LEDs use modulation for reduced output in steady-burn mode. I haven't checked any Feniex products.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.