Help With Wire Cluster for older 9000 Bar

Lee Hagen

Dec 27, 2017
Belmont
I have an older Edge 9000 light bar and am trying to get to primary strobes to work. This bar has a quite a large cluster of colored wires as compared to another edge bar I have. I have been able to get some of the alleys and flashers to work, but struggling with strobes. I know they worked within the last two years, and the bar has been sitting in storage since then. I don’t recall how I got them to work last time. I have looked at a couple different references online, including this site, but still no luck. Appreciate any feedback. Pictured is the cluster I am dealing with on the red light bar.

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8579.jpg
    IMG_8579.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
See if this works.
I can’t tell in your pic if there are the exact colors and number that you have. But it looks to me that they are 14g wires in your pic and most of them match to this.

Attachments

• Edge 9004-AK Lightbar.pdf
    194.2 KB · Views: 11

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thanks, I will try this.
Usually black, white/black, and black/white larger wires are grounds for different systems. Then Red, red/white, plain white are the major power wires and other colors are for other features. (power). Find your grounds first (black, black and white/black?) then add power to reds and move on from there. Also combos may do things; for example if one wire enables strobes combining another may cut out some.

Reactions: Abacus

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
I do not believe that is the original power cable. Whelen cables from the Gen had multiple grounds, multiple power leads, and then "triggers" for different items. You'll likely need to pull the lenses off and back track the wires.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I do not believe that is the original power cable. Whelen cables from the Gen had multiple grounds, multiple power leads, and then "triggers" for different items. You'll likely need to pull the lenses off and back track the wires.
It might be original depending on year and model. Still tracing it with the lens of is safest. Some factory models had odd colors for grounds for different features.

Reactions: fp13-2

Lee Hagen

Dec 27, 2017
Belmont
It might be original depending on year and model. Still tracing it with the lens of is safest. Some factory models had odd colors for grounds for different features.
I went through the mapping on that attachment that was provided by FireBuff17 and I was able to get the TDs (both flashing and steady burn), front & rear flashing halogens, and both side ally lights to work based on the colored wires listed. According to the wiring list, red 14 GA to power and black 14 GA to ground should activate the strobes, but it doesn't. There are actually two black wires, but I tried both and nothing.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I went through the mapping on that attachment that was provided by FireBuff17 and I was able to get the TDs (both flashing and steady burn), front & rear flashing halogens, and both side ally lights to work based on the colored wires listed. According to the wiring list, red 14 GA to power and black 14 GA to ground should activate the strobes, but it doesn't. There are actually two black wires, but I tried both and nothing.
The 14g red and 14g black are the main power for the strobes but that will not always activate them, it may just give their power supply base power. You may have to apply power to other wires to activate the strobes in pairs. Rule out everything that has turned on a halogen option then apply power to the other wires while the 14g red and 14g black are hooked up. You could also hook the black wires and the white and black to ground then connect the reds to power. Now connect everything else to power one at at time. Once everything is connected start by disconnecting the obvious halogen options. Then disconnect one wire at a time.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok, I went and hooked mine up.

Solid Red = Power 12vdc +
Red/Black Stripe = Power 12vdc +
Solid Black x2 = Ground 12vdc -
White/Black Stripe = Ground 12vdc -

Strobe triggers (when above is connected)
  • Blue 12vdc +
  • White 12vdc +
  • Brown 12vdc +
  • Gray 12vdc +
Halogen Trigger (when above is connected)
  • Green 12vdc +
  • Yellow 12vdc +
  • Orange 12vdc +
  • White 12vdc +
So hook up your power feeds:
Solid Red = Power 12vdc +
Red/Black Stripe = Power 12vdc +
Solid Black x2 = Ground 12vdc -
White/Black Stripe = Ground 12vdc -

Now all featured are powered, and just need triggered.

Start putting power to every other wire. Strobes will turn on 2 at a time. It helps to keep all 3 grounds and the two powers connected. Although the striped versions are supposed to be halogen and the solids are designed to be strobe, there is some overlap and it's best to hook up both powers and all 3 grounds before putting 12vdc+ to any features. Regardless, simply putting power to the red and black will not activate the strobes, each pair has a trigger wire.

PXL_20220814_213249814.MP.jpg

Reactions: Abacus and fp13-2

Lee Hagen

Dec 27, 2017
Belmont
I went through and followed the last post with mapping and the picture. I got all halogens to work, but no strobes. It seems the Red/Black Stripe wire only operates the alternating takedowns, although when added with orange the steady takedowns come on. There must be a short or something else wrong with the strobes. I'm pretty sure I tried every combination. I spent hours on it.

The following wires did not activate anything:
Purple​
Gray​
White (note, there are two solid white wires).​
What did work was the following:
Yellow - Right Alley​
Green - Left Alley​
Brown - Rear Flashers​
Blue- - Front Flashers​
Red/ Black and Orange - Steady Takedowns​
Red/Black - Alternating Takedowns​

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I went through and followed the last post with mapping and the picture. I got all halogens to work, but no strobes. It seems the Red/Black Stripe wire only operates the alternating takedowns, although when added with orange the steady takedowns come on. There must be a short or something else wrong with the strobes. I'm pretty sure I tried every combination. I spent hours on it.

The following wires did not activate anything:
Purple​
Gray​
White (note, there are two solid white wires).​
What did work was the following:
Yellow - Right Alley​
Green - Left Alley​
Brown - Rear Flashers​
Blue- - Front Flashers​
Red/ Black and Orange - Steady Takedowns​
Red/Black - Alternating Takedowns​
Time to open it up and trace the power supply wires I guess. Could be just the fuse

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.